“Excellent Value.”

and 1 more site!
Oak Tree Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Balmaha B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My Husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay.From the moment we arrived we were met by friendly staff and this continued throughout our stay! Our room was very nice. Spotlessly clean- well done to the housekeeping staff! l liked the idea of the earplugs on the bedside table ! Perhaps I should have used them as we were awakened at 7am by the couple next door's moans!! The walls are very thin!! The Bar is very welcoming and again staff here were very friendly. Food was superb. Good choices at sensible prices. My request for Porridge and boiled eggs at breakfast was acknowledged by pleasant staff. Maybe Porridge on the buffet would be popular with the walkers? My Husband enjoyed the "full Scottish breakfast" each morning. We very much plan to return later in the year but until then Thanks to all Staff who make this place so special. A big thankyou to Agnes for her humour and friendliness! Well Done Everybody!

1  Thank Gigi464
Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Whilst staying in the area we dined here on three consecutive evenings. Every meal we had was delicious and the portions are large. The staff are very friendly, attentive and professional even when it was very busy. So if you are in the area dine here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pauline m
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was a short break booked through5pm big deals. Was not expecting this level of service and excellence of food. Best I have experienced for a long time. 5star rating for a 3 star hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: We are in room 3 - (lovely).
2  Thank Ann101_13
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We turned up early on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was full which was a great sign.
The staff were fantastic and did everything they could to make us feel comfortable and welcome.
The food was stunning (pizzas) and the beer was great. We were spoilt for choice and everything on the menu sounded scrumptious.
We will be back, fer sure. Thank you staff for making us love this place!

Room Tip: Try the pizzas, stunning!
2  Thank Cariad_bird
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Booked just the one night at this place and it tutned out our room was im a cottage with patio door that opened out on to views of Loch Lomand. On arrival we were greated by friendly staff and great instructions to our room. We had food in the Inn and a few drinks. The staff again were great and the food was good and lots of it. The room itself was clean and well presented with a big TV and Wifi. Will go back again at some point with family.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kiltman75
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have stayed at the Oak tree Inn several times during this winter, and many times over the years. The food is always fantastic,with top quality produce being served by friendly welcoming staff. You will not find better value or service anywhere.

The rooms are spectacular, pristine with all the facilities of a 5 star hotel. The menu is extensive and full of local produce, and really is value for money. The service is first class, the staff are warm and friendly and do everything they can to make your visit a memorable one.
The bar and restaurant have old timber beams and an open log fire which creates a warm friendly atmosphere, a marvellous place to sit and enjoy a meal or simply relax with a drink .The Balmaha cider is marvellous, as is the locally brewed selection of Ales, a treat for the Real ale drinkers. If your driving and simply want a coffee and a scone, these are also available. and are simply delicious .The breakfast menu is an amazing buffet, served fresh and plentiful, no overdone eggs or dried up bacon served here. all freshly cooked for you to enjoy.
To sum up my experiences of the Oak tree Inn. The Best Food and accommodation available any where.
I am looking forward to my next visit, which hopefully will be very soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have visited the Oak Tree on two occasions recently. My first experience was positive which was a night away with my husband in one of the cottages, due to this I booked a further night for myself and my two friends in the Bunk House. When booking this I inquired as to whether there was free wifi in all rooms and was assured this is the case. This was essential for my needs as I need to be contactable for work and was due to be on call when we were visiting. We arrived on Saturday at 14.25 and went to the Reception Area where we waited for around ten minutes before anyone came to the desk. The restaurant was very busy at this time so I am assuming they were just busy, however this was not the welcome we were expecting. We were then advised check in was from 3pm only because the room was still being cleaned. This would not normally be a problem if there was somewhere to wait, however we were told we could not leave our bags and that the bar and restaurant were both full with a waiting list. The lady on reception advised us to wait in out car in the rain until 3pm. We were shown where to park and waited, however during this time nobody came in our out of the Bunk House area which places doubt as to why we could not check in as the cleaners had clearly finished prior to us arriving.
At 3pm we received the key to our room which we expected to be of a slightly less plush setting than the cottage I had previously stayed in, however we were shocked. The reason for this annual trip is for three mothers to have a much needed night away from children and work, have a glass of wine and most importantly a relaxing evening. The room we entered was made up of two sets of bunk beds. The bunks did not have ladders meaning the only way to access the top bunk was to scale the side of the bed frame, this is surely a health and safety hazard. There was a stone floor with no rug or underfloor heating and the only heater in the room was a small wall mounted heater which did not appear to be attached to any heating system. This was not adequate heat for the room. There was no seating area apart from one old restaurant chair left in the middle of the room and there was no wardrobe or drawers. The bathroom was basic but clean, however the shower is the worst I have seen in a hotel / B&B. The water pressure was awful and the ledge at the bottom of the shower tray prevented any chance of the use being able to have adequate water to wash your hair properly. Finally, there was no wifi, which was essential for me during this stay. I went to reception and asked about this and the receptionist shrugged her shoulders saying "The signal must not work in that room". I explained the importance of having wifi and asked to be moved and was told there were no other rooms available. Due to this I had to pay £10 for access to an internet hub through BT.
After the initial shock of the standard of accommodation we decided to put this aside and head to the restaurant for our evening meal and drinks. This did not disappoint and we had a delicious meal, although the portions were on the large side for us! During our meal the staff were great and could not have been more helpful. After our meal we took a short walk and were back at the Bunk House by around 9pm. Within this cottage there are 2 rooms.
After going to bed around 11pm, we were then awoken at 01.15 on Sunday morning by the men staying in the opposite room trying to access our room. They tried the door a number of times and were banging on the door telling us to let them in. When we said No this persisted and was very frightening. Normally in such circumstance I would have called reception to report this, however due to the lack of phone signal this was not an option and we had no alternative but to sit up until it got light as these men were abusive, even though we had no idea exactly who they were. This completely ruined our relaxing experience and we did not feel we wanted to go for breakfast in the morning as these unidentified men may be in the restaurant. At check out I asked for the Manager and was told by the receptionist that she was not in and a time she would be there could not be confirmed. I explained the situation to the receptionist who did waive the room fee, however had to ask for a call from the Manager as I was very concerned. The Manager did call me later today and apologized, advising these men are long term guests in the bunk house, however this made me feel even more uneasy as we may not be the only guests disrupted in this manner. This has really tarnished my view of this establishment and I will not be returning. If you are visiting my advise would be eat here and stay somewhere else, if you do stay make sure your door is locked and avoid the Bunk House!

Room Tip: Eat Here Only unless you are able to stay in one of the new cottages!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Beaverhausens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmaha
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Oak Tree Inn? Share your experiences!