“Luxury hotel that's baby friendly!”
Review of Monachyle Mhor

Monachyle Mhor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
Edinburgh
“Luxury hotel that's baby friendly!”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We had a fantastic stay here. I thought when we had a baby that it was the end of luxury stays in lovely hotels with great food, thankfully I was wrong.

The food is absolutely out of this world and the hotel staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

I was worried about staying here with a baby but we were given lots of help working out if the baby monitor would work in the restaurant and never made to feel awkward about asking for baby seats etc.

It's a long drive to the hotel along that single track road but worth it when you get there

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank EdinburghHeather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Monachyle Mhor on occasions since our first wedding anniversary in May 1999, we go back either for other anniversaries or birthdays and have never once been disappointed. It is peaceful and relaxing and the ideal place to escape your daily routine. The food is always outstanding, the rooms are lovely, the view at dinner is beautiful. The staff are friendly and helpful and I never want to leave. Many of our friends also go and they too always enjoy their stay as well. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wilson2030
Scotland
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We couldn't recommend Monachyle Mohr highly enough. We travelled there with my 1yo to meet extended family, with various aged children for a family birthday celebration. Where to start? The welcome was warm, the rooms are gorgeous and yet still functional and comfortable. The food.... I still think about the food, it was amazing!

The staff were fantastic with all the kids, we didn't feel unwelcome or that the kids were a hassle at all! Not that there's a huge amount for them to do, but as long as you go prepared, it'll be fine, plus a good walk in the countryside never did kids any harm at all.

The setting is simply stunning too, overall I would say this is exemplary Scottish hospitality and I can't wait to make a return visit!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank r0zebud
scotland
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I booked one night in a luxury room for part of my husband's Christmas upon a recommendation from my in-laws. Knowing it would be good as they had been before, we were actually amazed at how it exceeded our expectations! Having driven along the winding loch side road to the most fantastic scenery, we were greeted by the pink monachyle mhor. We arrived late morning in the hope that if our room wasn't ready we good go out a walk in the countryside. Our room was ready and we were a little surprised at the standard and attention to detail that has been put into the accommodation. It was stylish, comfortable and if I'm honest wished I had booked more than one night! After our walk we went to the bar, had a glass of wine and yes the made to order scones are as good as we'd heard! My husband is a fussy eater and anyone who can have him eating haddock tempura and cauliflower mousse (not in the same course) has got to be doing something right! Well done Tom! All in all from speaking to reception about booking our stay to the service, food and accommodation, you have to visit this place!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank elfoxy82
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I have recommended Monachyle Mhor to so many friends since our stay in October 2010!
Within minutes of arriving in our stunning accommodation, we felt totally relaxed. The bedroom was a sympathetic combination of sybaritic comfort and cutting-edge design, with the most indulgent bathroom we have ever encountered. We took the dog for a quick walk down towards the loch and then warmed up with a cuppa by the stove in our bedroom.
Sitting by the log fire in the cosy hotel bar we studied the menu, as we nibbled complimentary canapes, and our choices certainly did not disappoint. Everything was freshly prepared and delicious; one of the few restaurants where there is no need to season your food, as the chef has achieved the perfect balance.
At breakfast next morning we were welcomed by fresh warm scones, to sustain us while perusing the menu.
Unfortunately, we could only spare one night for our visit, on this occasion. However, if you only have a short time to indulge yourself, Monachyle Mhor is probably the best destination you could choose!

Room Tip: Keep your camera handy for the stunning views.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BordersTravelling
Edinburgh,Scotland
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Stayed there for 2 days/nights in room 11. From the very 1st minute the staff were both welcoming and helpful.
Food was amazing, certainly better than some of the top end restaurants I have experienced in Edinburgh/London. Like others have said, portions weren't huge but I'm a hungry guy and my appetite was comfortably sated due to the number of courses and variety of flavours. There was no need for lunch whilst we were there due to the HUGE breakfasts, really did need to walk those off ;-)
The little bar is lovely, staff there constantly adding wood to the open fire, makes for a cosy atmosphere.
The hotel is located in a very quiet, tranquil place. We done a bit of walking but our outdoor highlight came on the Saturday when we went on a highland safari with the farm manager, Alan Sneddon. He is extremely knowledgeable about the local environment and history. He took us up the glen where we not only observed a pair of golden eagles in flight but a small herd of red deer coming over the mountain range. A fantastic experience and one I hope to repeat by going back there as soon as I can!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JayEff74
Insch
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I found this on the internet and can only say how glad I am we booked this hotel. From the minute your car hits the single track road after Balquiddar you are awed by the views and setting (but not necessarily by the road!) to when you leave having had a fantastic few days. The welcome is informal and friendly and un-cluttered with filling out forms etc, we were speedily shown to our room (one of the luxury ones in the courtyard), Verrrrry nice, big comfy bed, gas fire, huge bath (which takes about 30 mins to fill so plan ahead), sofa to lounge on and very simply decorated. We arrived about lunchtime and decided to start as we meant to go on and we were not disappointed from the start of our 2 day stay to the breakfast on our last day. The portions are not huge but you don't get up from the table groaning and being too full. The wines they stock are incredible and priced for all pockets. We've lived and holidayed overseas and have eaten at many 5 star hotels and restaurants and Monachyle Mhor are up there with the best, from ambience of the hotel and setting to the friendliness of the staff. We will definetly be back again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tokonline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ardeonaig Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!