“Most enchanting location. Our favorite spot in the world yet.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monachyle Mhor

Monachyle Mhor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
“Most enchanting location. Our favorite spot in the world yet.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

I'm not one for remote vacations but when we arrived at monachyle mohr, we fell in love. I write this review from vacation in Tuscany and nothing yet has compared. Balquidder is truly magical and this hotel was fantastic. Very nice rooms, great food (we fancy ourselves food experts), and great agritourism classes. We recommend everyone visit monachyle mohr before they die (twice). And Tom is hilarious and, last minute, booked us an (accidentally) private scotch tasting and blending at glengoyne. I happened upon this place and will never forget what it brought to my life.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Pithynothings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

This was our third stay at Monachyle Mhor and as before it excelled. I can't think of anywhere more relaxing. Superb food, friendly laid back but attentive staff, owner/managers with bags of character, lovely rooms and a setting to die for, one of the quietest places you'll ever find. A very special place for us.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NickNoble
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

This review is slightly delayed by I have only just set up an account on trip advisor and felt compelled to write about Monachyle. We decided to book the New Years Eve package at Monachyle Mhor, unfortunately only the small room was available but in the end it made no difference. The hotel is beautifully arranged with lots of lovely places to sit and the surroundings and views are incredible, you really feel like you are a million miles away. The hotel is lovely and relaxed, there is free internet and games to play in the lounge, plus loads of nearby walks from the very easy to the more challenging. On top of all that the food (and wine) is wonderful, we ate breakfast and dinner for the duration of our stay but I wished we could have had more, we are both foodies and love eating out and Monachlye Mhor is up there with our most memorable meals. The staff were also amazing. Go, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kydd30
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We had a fantastic stay here. I thought when we had a baby that it was the end of luxury stays in lovely hotels with great food, thankfully I was wrong.

The food is absolutely out of this world and the hotel staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

I was worried about staying here with a baby but we were given lots of help working out if the baby monitor would work in the restaurant and never made to feel awkward about asking for baby seats etc.

It's a long drive to the hotel along that single track road but worth it when you get there

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank EdinburghHeather
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Monachyle Mhor on occasions since our first wedding anniversary in May 1999, we go back either for other anniversaries or birthdays and have never once been disappointed. It is peaceful and relaxing and the ideal place to escape your daily routine. The food is always outstanding, the rooms are lovely, the view at dinner is beautiful. The staff are friendly and helpful and I never want to leave. Many of our friends also go and they too always enjoy their stay as well. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wilson2030
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We couldn't recommend Monachyle Mohr highly enough. We travelled there with my 1yo to meet extended family, with various aged children for a family birthday celebration. Where to start? The welcome was warm, the rooms are gorgeous and yet still functional and comfortable. The food.... I still think about the food, it was amazing!

The staff were fantastic with all the kids, we didn't feel unwelcome or that the kids were a hassle at all! Not that there's a huge amount for them to do, but as long as you go prepared, it'll be fine, plus a good walk in the countryside never did kids any harm at all.

The setting is simply stunning too, overall I would say this is exemplary Scottish hospitality and I can't wait to make a return visit!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank r0zebud
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

I booked one night in a luxury room for part of my husband's Christmas upon a recommendation from my in-laws. Knowing it would be good as they had been before, we were actually amazed at how it exceeded our expectations! Having driven along the winding loch side road to the most fantastic scenery, we were greeted by the pink monachyle mhor. We arrived late morning in the hope that if our room wasn't ready we good go out a walk in the countryside. Our room was ready and we were a little surprised at the standard and attention to detail that has been put into the accommodation. It was stylish, comfortable and if I'm honest wished I had booked more than one night! After our walk we went to the bar, had a glass of wine and yes the made to order scones are as good as we'd heard! My husband is a fussy eater and anyone who can have him eating haddock tempura and cauliflower mousse (not in the same course) has got to be doing something right! Well done Tom! All in all from speaking to reception about booking our stay to the service, food and accommodation, you have to visit this place!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank elfoxy82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!