“My little piece of heaven”
Review of Monachyle Mhor

Monachyle Mhor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
lanarkshire
“My little piece of heaven”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Can't praise this amazing hotel enough.. Am normally very fussy and very picky but I could not find fault in this hotel at all.. Room was gorgeous.. Great choice.. Food was delicious.. Loch Fyne oysters and hand dived scallops were a total surprise!! Great ambience .. Great wine... Homemade bread and scones mmm.... The walks, scenery.. All perfect... Anything you ask the staff " it's not a problem' we managed to squeeze a 2nd night out of it thanks to a cancellation and breakfast was an event just as dinner is - so glad we managed to squeeze in 2..Having been here many times for lunch and walks we always fancied coming to stay and so glad we did... Definitely be back soon.. Not cheap at all but worth Every Penny in my eyes.. Doesn't get any better than this... So sad to leave.. Walked 21k from fri to sun so worked off all our treats.. Thank you to Tom Lewis who waited on Fri morning for us to arrange mushroom foraging with him however we missed ea other as we were running slightly late.. Nice touch and very much appreciated .. Met So many lovely guests and staff will definitely be a home from home for us now ... Missing it already ... Special thanks to Jamie who is so attentive and charismatic... Hope to see you all soon...

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jacdoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was thoroughly looking forward to my stay here after having my eye on this place for a long time but was always held back by feeling like I couldn't justify somewhere so expensive for one night. But my curiosity got the better of me and we decided to go for it. The setting is so serene with beautiful scenery and it is worth the long single track road drive to arrive (although I don't know If I'd brave it in the depths of winter).

We were in one of the more expensive "feature" rooms which was definitely unique and spacious with a wonderful view of the mountains. However, there was something quite "bare" feeling about it and it and could have had a few more features to add more warmth and cosiness. The bed was amazingly comfortable. Although you can easily log on to the hotels wifi - it just doesn't work at all which was quite frustrating.

We had really high hopes for dinner due to the £55 a head price tag and I left with mostly mixed feelings. The service was lovely and warm and paced really well. However, my beef carpaccio starter was nothing special and my halibut main was tiny - just a very very small piece of fish that took me all of 2 minutes to eat. It could have easily passed for a starter and I was still pretty hungry after it. However, my partners main of venison was really really good. Maybe I just made an unlucky choice. Desserts also weren't particularly pleasing - mostly mousse based and nothing of much substance. Overall it really was a pleasant experience but at such a high price tag we did feel slightly cheated. Bigger portions please! We spent time having drinks in the really tiny but thoroughly cosy bar and I would recommend this - they done a lovely elderflower cocktail (also not cheap) but well worth trying. Breakfast was great with posh mueslis, scones and a wonderful scrambled egg (the best I've tried) and smoked salmon.

I would have rated this excellent if it had been better value. I'd definitely like to revisit Monachyle Mhor and would recommend it. This place is never going to be cheap and deservedly so but at almost £400 for one night of dinner, bed and breakfast I really couldn't justify it again unless there was some sort of special offer in the future.

1 Thank Sarah488
Boat of Garten, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

As part of my 50th Birthday ( Last December !) My darling wife bought me / us a sea plane trip from Cameron House to Monachyle Mhor. ( calendar dates and work stoped us from doing this earlier) Now, i`m a bloke and the lunch bit to me was secondary, albeit looking awesome on the web, it kind of took second place to my flight. Im not going to droll on about the flight, im doing a review on that as well, but, our experience at the Monachyle Mhor made a perfect day just perfect! We arrived to a beautiful glass of chilled champagne, served by a very well presented barman, who was genuinely polite. As we were on a timetable, we selected a beautiful table in a wee alcove, and took our champers outside to take in the breathtaking scenery surrounding us.I ordered a nice bottle of Malbec (wife offered to drive) and we selected our courses from a very simple but appetizing menu. I chose the Fresh clam and langostine starter, with a Pollock main, Carol had the Cauliflower ad truffle soup with the Tamworth Pork as a main.......wow. Faultless. Coincidentally, my sister in law was staying with her husband for the weekend, so we took the remainder of the vino outside and opted for our third course of the Cheeseboard to be served outside; absolutely lovely. I went for a wander around en route to the bathroom, and took in the splendid interiors of the hotel bar, reception, courtyard and an awesome wine rack built into the wall, I think under stairs?. we could not fault our visit and certainly plan to return for a stay as I did spot one or two rather nice looking single malts just crying to be sampled!! Thanks guys for making our day complete!!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was my third visit to MM. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and our meal; given the season I was worried that there would be too much game on the menu (most of which I dislike) but as it turned, there was a good selection of dishes. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. It's a pity the bar is soooo small; there were no seats left when we arrived and sitting in the other lounge felt a bit far from the hub of things. Our room (14) was a feature room with steam shower. We loved it! There was an elegant mix of modern and vintage accessories, and a very spacious bathroom. One thing that could be improved: the bathroom needs a better mirror (only one small magnifying mirror installed). Also, I would have preferred to choose my cooked breakfast items (I don't like haggis and missed having a sausage!) Overall, a bit pricey but a nice treat.

• Stayed September 2013
Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 September 2013

It was our third stay in 6 years in this excellent hotel. The rooms are fantastic, the atmosfere is great! The location I would consider unique and the staff is excellent!!
The dinner was included in the roomprice and was, again, excellent! One of the best meals we have had in Scotland! Great winelist as well.
Ideal for a hike, a tour or just to enjoy the scenery and food.
We will be back and next time we will make use of the ideal transport facility: the hydrplane out of glasgow, directly to the loch in front of the hotel!

Glasgow
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We arrived on Saturday afternoon to find out that due to an admin error they did not have a courtyard room for us which we had booked and that we would have to stay in the main hotel. To be honest we were pretty disappointed because we were there for our anniversary and the only room left which we had been allocated didn't have a great view. However, the hotel more than made up for this by not only giving us our room free of charge but also giving us a voucher to come back and stay in a courtyard room on another occasion. Amazing customer service and extremely generous of them. The rest of our stay was just perfect. Lovely cosy wee bar (and charming Belgian bar man who knew his stuff) in which to enjoy an aperitif before dinner followed by what was definitely one of my favourite meals ever. Simply delicious! Five courses and I couldn't fault one mouthful. Beautifully presented food using local and seasonal produce and cooked to perfection. The wines on the wine list were well selected and reasonably priced too.
We had a great night's sleep in our comfy wee room, furnished with Harris tweed cushions and throws and with a good selection of pukka teas, homemade shortbread and local organic toiletries.
Breakfast the next day was simple but good and the hotel is in the middle of some gorgeous scenery, perfect for walking off all the extra calories consumed the night before.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially if you are a foodie.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed in one of the feature rooms in the main hotel - a corner room with a great view and perfect for relaxing in before dinner. Dinner was superb - great seasonal and local Perthshire produce expertly cooked and beautifully presented. The staff were friendly, attentive and well trained. Overall, Monachyle Mhor is one of the best small hotels we have stayed in anywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!