“Amazing!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Both myself and my boyfriend stayed over the Easter weekend. What an amazing place, a beautiful hotel with breath taking scenery. All the staff were lovely, and really helpful. The food and drink was wonderful. Can't wait to come back, loved it!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
UK
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have wanted to visit for a while and a special occasion seemed a good excuse to book an overnight stay. We arrived and were checked in by a lovely friendly girl making us feel instantly welcome.

We had room 5 and while it wasn't the largest room we've ever stayed in we loved how quirky the decor was. All the special touches like the hand made soaps and the amazing hospitality tray containing wonderful home baked biscuits and an extensive selection of teas and proper ground coffee were really appreciated.

We went out for a walk after settling our things in the bedroom and then had a lovely complimentary cup of coffee and shortbread.

We enjoyed luxuriating in the Jacuzzi bath before eagerly awaiting our dinner. We weren't disappointed, the menu was full of delicious choices, difficult to choose what to have!

An small appetiser whetted our appetite for what was to come. We were then presented with an oyster each. I opted for a starter of razor & surf clams with a coriander crust, delicious. My husband had wood pigeon. Another taster of creamy cauliflower soup arrived served in an espresso cup (other half reckoned this was one of his highlights!). Mains of Monkfish with Samphire and artichoke for me and lamb for him were also very, very skillfully cooked and beautifully presented.

Our waitress was a lovely New Zealander who was attentive and helpful. We found the wine choice very reasonable and opted for a modest red. We were offered top ups of the fab
in-house bread throughout the meal too.

Although very full up we couldn't resist trying the desserts which all sounded good, I had a sublime Rhubarb souffle which was served with a ginger custard (this I found a little thin but it's a small criticism as it tasted lovely!). Other half opted for a Chocolate Ganache, so good.
We retired, nearly defeated, to the cosy lounge for coffee and petit fours.

Slept well in the super comfortable bed and arose to the promise of another culinary delight a.k.a. Breakfast! An enticing menu was offered in the sunny dining room and we enjoyed another luxurious meal before sadly having to depart.

Perfect, perfect, perfect and I want to do it all again, soon! The memory will remain for a long time, thank you all at The Monachyle Mhor.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthernHeatseeker
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend in december. The room was absolutely fantastic and it's own unique style. You could tell that it was carefully thought out and individual to that room alone. I was curious to know what the others looked like. The food was absolutely amazing for both dinner and breakfast. I am from Brooklyn, NY and this was exactly the kind of designer/hip/gourmet food I look for in NYC/Brooklyn restaurants restaurants restaurants It was styled, portioned, and flavored amazingly. I wont forget the amazing "scottish breakfast" i had in the morning with just enough Haggis to whet my curiosity for the famous dish. The staff was lovely and accommodating. We stayed only one night, but would have love to stay longer and explore the area. We enjoyed it for the hotel and food, will definitely be back in summer to explore the outdoors around the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Erin G
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've wanted to visit this hotel for many years and it didn't disappoint. Room was lovely (I had room 6) service was friendly and very accommodating. I felt happy to ask for extra milk etc staff made you feel like they wanted to grant every wish. The food was memorable - just stunning. Planning a return trip for a special birthday in a couple of years if not before. A really lovely place

• Stayed March 2014
Retford, Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The situation and hotel are ideal and the majority of staff very friendly and accommodating. The menu is somewhat restrictive (especially if you are stopping for three nights or more) and includes a lot of fish. However, having advised the hotel by email that both my partner and I were unable to eat fish we were assured that this would not be a problem and we would be accommodated accordingly. Sadly, it took until the last night for this to occur as both the lamb and venison on the first two nights were served with an anchovy sauce. Similarly, having scrambled egg without the smoked salmon one would expect some increase in the portion of scrambled egg; I must say this was the smallest portion of same that I have ever had!! That said the presentation of the food was excellent, although at times let down by some very poor service; having a tempura battered broccoli leaf bounced of my plate on to the table and then picked up and placed back on my plate with a "whoops" from the waitress left me incredulous and lost for words. Likewise, my partner had her desert presentation ruined by the same waitress simply slamming it on the table and commenting that the chef shouldn't use shot glasses to serve desert as they slid all over the place; the rhubarb mousse landing in the balsamic ice cream!
I shall not mention the chaotic breakfast that ensued on our final morning when the same individual was left on her own for the first hour to try and manage several tables at the same time. Given that this was a special treat for my partner I feel very let down by the experience and while i would recommend the place it will be with a number of reservations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Small intimate hotel . Stunning surroundings. Luxurious rooms . Food very good , but had better for less ( £55 / head , coffee not included ) . Loved the personal steam room in our room . As a one night luxury break . Perfect.

• Stayed February 2014
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Although you have a five mile single track road , with passing places, to get to the hotel, the journey is well worth it. The road itself is soo quiet you may not even meet another car.
What makes this place is the food and the staff. The staff appear to really enjoy there work and are very friendly.
The standard rooms are nice but I do not think they are worth the rack rate.
Would certainly return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ardeonaig Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Monachyle Mhor? Share your experiences!