“We stayed at Stronvar the last week of Aug to the beginning of Sept, 2007” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stronvar House

Stronvar House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Balquhidder
Stronvar House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Balquhidder
Seattle, WA
“We stayed at Stronvar the last week of Aug to the beginning of Sept, 2007”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

My sister's and my family stayed at Stronvar the week after the above FoxFire7's stay. All of FoxFire7's complaints and pictures are dead on, in fact, I could add a few more.

But on the other hand...

We were a large party of 13 adults, so even forgoing Stronvar for another place wasn't considered. We overlooked the musty smells, mold and learned to like the remoteness (we were a tad rowdy anyway). In fact, some of us, loved the place immensely. We knew enough about old British homes that they are apt to be musty, moldy and with terrible plumbing. I know that sounds "ugly American" and all as I don't mean it that way and I am not excusing the conditions, but I believe we took in the whole package. Which is why I rate the experience as Above Average.

The locale was beautiful, we traveled to Edinburgh & Stirling easily and the Rob Roy pub made a profit the last night we were there as a good time was had by all. Callendar's coop staff knew us on sight. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know as we stopped every day for ice.

Considering what the cost of a home of that size could be, Stronvar is priced fairly reasonable, however, a discount due to the brown water is not expecting too much. If I could gather a group big enough for the size of the house, I would visit again.

• Liked — Beautiful location, historically significant, great hiking
  • Disliked — Building does need some work
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank defenestration

Couples
Solo
Business
D.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2007

My family stayed in Stronvar House in Balquhidder, Perthshire, Scotland. We booked it for a week and lasted as long as we could. That was a very few days. The smell of the mold or mould and the musty interior was too much, as was the brown undrinkable water, and we had to move out to a bed and breakfast down the road. The Stronvar House website does not truly show the property. When we returned to the States, we created a site with our own pictures. It can be viewed at [--]. If you are thinking of visting it, simply don't. Vist the website at [--] and take a look at what it really looks like.

• Liked — free internet access
  • Disliked — everything except the free internet access
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank Foxfire7
colscot, Owner at Stronvar House, responded to this review, 14 April 2008
This party stayed in our self catering vacation rental from August 18 to departure the morning of August 22 2007. 2 members of the party left on August 23. They did not complain until the morning of the fifth day. We got the impression that they thought they booked an hotel not a vacation rental. During the stay another two of the party met my partner in the driveway and said they were delighted with the accommodation. We also think the complainants did not realise the remoteness of the house and decided to change their itinerary to stay at a Bed & breakfast on the main road. They requested half the rental back obviously to pay for the B&B.
The complainant is a lawyer with a firm in USA and he has been harrasing us ever since last August even starting up websites in our company name ( which is possibly an illegal act) and reporting us to the environmental health department of our local council who visited our premises and gave it a clean bill of health, dismissed the poor photographs which were fraudulent with intent to deceive and replied accordingly..
I would mention that we have had so many letters of appreciation from guests over the last 22 years and never experienced anything so obscene as this.
A party who stayed for 2 weeks after the complainant's visit thanked us profusely, took us out to dinner on their last night and again sent us a Christmas card saying they would be back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balquhidder
Monachyle Mhor
Monachyle Mhor
#1 of 2 in Balquhidder
Knockderry House Hotel
Mhor 84 Hotel
Mhor 84 Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balquhidder

Been to Stronvar House? Share your experiences!