“Good”

Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Crianlarich
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We were gifted a two night groupon deal. We upgraded to a better room which I think was a good move. Our room was very big. The decor and bathroom are a bit dated. In fact, dated with regards to the bathroom is being kind! But I must say the bathroom has been very well maintained over the decades.
The tv really needs to be bigger - a 17in is not at all suitable for a room of that size. And they really desperately need to expand the DVD menu.
The lounge is bizarrely laid out. They should rearrange the furniture to allow more people to sit and watch tv. When we were there the rugby was on and people were clamouring to watch it.
But the restaurant is superb. The staff are very friendly. And the whole building offers great value for money. Would stay if up that neck of the woods again.
Also, the taxidermy makes for an interesting talking point over dinner :-)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
managercrianlarich, Manager at Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Good Morning
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We arrived on a Wednesday for a 2 night stay using a groupon voucher. It didn't really start off very well, a 10 minute wait for a member of staff to appear in reception, not what I would call a friendly welcome.
We were in probably the smallest double room in the hotel, would have been better suited as a single. You are greeted by hideous wall paper above the double bed, the room also contained a desk, stool, chair, TV (wall mounted) & one bedside table. One had to manoeuvre round the bed & the best surprise was the cupboard, which was actually en-suite toilet/bath/sink/shower. In all the hotels we have stayed in, the set-up of having the bathroom in a cupboard was rather amusing.
The bathroom was clean, but as described tiny & cramped. The shower which was a mixer from the bath taps was worse than useless, one wouldn't describe it as a power shower, more a powerless, even with the taps turn full on, the water only came out as a trickle and that after adjusting the nozzle to try & improve the power. One word of caution, the temperature also varies and can be very hot, I daresay it depends on how many other guests are using the hot water at the same time.
Breakfast was also an experience, on both mornings no member of staff was on hand to check to see if you were a guest, show you to a table, ask if you wanted tea or coffee etc, etc. The first morning we sat at a table that was vacant but was covered in crumbs, it was then laid without being cleaned, whilst we were seated. Is this the standard one expects at 3 star dining, I somehow doubt it. The plates that are used for putting the cooked breakfast on were cold on both mornings, staff in the dining area are very scarce, so asking for a fried or poached egg was not worth the wait. Both mornings we had to ask a member of staff for tea. The food itself was edible, my wife wasn't overly fond of cold bacon, but she is maybe very selective.
Would we return, I think one can guess the answer to that question!
A great shame because the location is superb, I pass through Crianlarich just about every month on my travels, but I won't be dropping in.

Room Tip: Hopefully not all double rooms are this size?
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mfb4138
managercrianlarich, Manager at Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Good Morning

Thank you for your comments, I am disappointed that your stay with us was not satisfactory. If you could contact me on 01838 300 272, I would like to discuss your stay in further detail.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed for a couple of days mid week. Had a great time staff very friendly especially Wayne unfortunately can't remember the other ladies name but had recently just started working there. Food was excellent dinner and breakfast. Lovely room very spacious. Great central place for walking and visiting other beautiful areas and great scenery from room definatley go back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Good Morning
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I returned home two days ago after a couple of nights in this very relaxing hotel. We've passed it on many occasions but this was our first stay. It was a Groupon Deal which was great value. I note some people think the hotel is dated, I don't agree as it is a very old hotel with lots of character and to modernise it would lose the ambiance. Our room was spacious, clean and well decorated. Excellent, helpful and friendly staff. The breakfast was good, dinner ok but we certainly didn't have to wait three hours. It's right on a busy main road but an ideal spot for travelling and especially walking. Thanks staff, we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ropebeach

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a murder mystery weekend at the Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel. The hotel is fine although a bit dated, especially the rubber hose in our room which constituted as the shower. The food however was dreadful. It took nearly 3 hours to serve us a 3 course meal. My pork belly was all belly, and the panacotta was Angel Delight by any other name.
Breakfast was a little better but only just.
When we spoke to the manageress about our complaints, she was very nice and very apologetic and did offer us a discount.
Time Best Western got this hotel updated to the standard of their other hotels worldwide.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
managercrianlarich, Manager at Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Good Afternoon
Thank you for submitting your comments about your recent stay with us. I am disappointed that your stay was not as it should have been. If you would like to contact me directly on 01838 300 272 or by e-mail to gm@crianlarich-hotel.co.uk in order to discuss your stay in detail.

Regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We bought a Groupon 2 night deal and paid a £10 supplement to stay over a Saturday as there was a Ceildih ( Scottish Dance ) evening organised that night, which was great fun and to be recommended if you want to do something a bit different on your weekend away.
The hotel is a little tired and showing it's age , but is perfectly fine.
Our room was on the small side with a small double bed, which my tall husband and my tall self found a little on the cramped side. If I went back, which I probably would, I'd pay another supplement for a king-size bed, then I might get a slightly nicer en-suite than ours which although clean, small and adequate, was dated and dull.
The food in the restaurant was very good - in fact my husband declared that it was the best steak pie he had ever tasted ( other than my own of course ! ) The Cullen Skink was my favourite - very tasty and almost as good as my own !
The restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful , though a couple of the young lads could do with a little more "seen" and less "heard" at dinner.
Good selection of breakfast fare, though there did seem to be an issue with the supply of cooked items at the peak 9.30.a.m. slot.
All in all, this hotel is good value for money and a nice enough place for a wee break in the Highlands.

Room Tip: Tall or large people should pay the supplement for a room with a king-size bed. As with most hotels...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We were given a 2 night stay at the best western in cairnlarach as a christmas gift. The staff were helpful and gave advice on entertainment up to the closing date on the ticket. We opted for the ceildh weekend. The room was clean, fresh & very roomy. The beds had mattress protectors, The bathroom was also clean with lux shower gel available too! We took our dog with us at a cost of £5 extra per night which we thought was excellent. The food was good with a new pizza oven available. Although we ate out too. The breakfast was hot and an excellent choice, plus plenty of it! Big thanks to Jason, Cameron & Waynne. The boys were all helpful and even made of our very anxious dog! Not many hotels offer this option to bring your dog. The dog was allowed anywhere in the hotel except for the dinning area but one of the boys helped bring our breakfast to the bar area. Waynne the bar man was chatty and couldn't do enough for us. In fact all staff went out there way to be friendly and helpful. This was a Groupon deal and we will certainly be looking out for other deals and will return to the best western in the future. Good luck on your wedding Waynne in July.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frances C

Joan peden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tyndrum
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel? Share your experiences!