“Mixed bag”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Crianlarich
Leeds, UK
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I ate in the hotel twice during April, the first with a friend and then with a larger group. On the first occasion, I had fish which was well cooked and good value for money. The atmosphere was great and the staff friendly. On leaving I mentioned that a group of six of us would be coming at 8.30pm later in the week and asked if this would be a problem. We were told it was fine and that food was served up to 9.00pm so there was no need to book in advance. To cut a long story short, when we returned it was like they were doing us a favour. We were given a card to ask us to book in advance in the future, had a reduced menu and the quality was not as good as on my previous visit. Fortunately, we could laugh it off, but the service we got was disappointing.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank jasmanda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Before I booked a room I checked a few stories on this website.. I found some negative ones and was not sure whether I should go for it or not to, and there are really some stories which will give you same as me bad feeling however, something in my head told me to go and try it....... I booked a lodge for full week. Because my travel was taking about 7 hours I planned to get there about 8pm however, the traffic was really bad and also i had some delays...One of the staff phoned me about 9 pm asking what time I am expecting to be there I told them that i had some delays and so i am running late... They advised me that one of the roads is closed and asked me to give them a call in case of any future delays... They also told me which road it is and that is closing at 10pm and which road i should use...In my head was... ok will stop somewhere on some parking space and will re-plan my navigation and so i continued in my way until i found a point where to stop....i found, however it was too late I was already on the mentioned road... skip the rest of the story... to get on the place was another two hours... i phoned them and told them that i am running even more late and answer from them was that they left the room ready for me ... what a nice service... finally when i arrived to my destination point the lodge was ready, clean and warm... ... this is first star which i gave to this B&B place...

Next day in morning i went to restaurant for a breakfast .... i met all FRIENDLY staff and and get served their brilliant breakfast... second star

After spending the day out with my dog and returning back to my lodge in evening i decided to go for some meal and proper Scottish Ale.... we stayed till late, they didnt get much money from us as we was more talking than drinking however the staff were happy to serve us till late. ... third star

Other days... deciding to go for snowboard to Fort William and so we left our lodge about 7AM, because it was before they are serving the breakfast i was offered to take some food with me at evening ready for next morning... (bread and marmalade + cornflakes with milk) I was surprised and happy ... another star

In pub was live music from one of the staff and fireplace and so it was just amazing atmosphere... (btw the live music was not loud as expecting and so I could easily talk to friends and drink their nice Scottish Ale.... fifth star....

In conclusion:
Staff and their service ***** - Friendly, Helpful simply proper customer service as you would expect....
Rooms ***** - Warm, with hot water, clean shower, coffees and tee, and comfortable bed... With TV as well however i was not watching anything due to spending my days outside
Price ***** - cant comment... SUPER
Location ***** - quiet location, not far a way to Glen Coe, or Inveraray city (advised by staff)

And so I cant say anything negative about this place.... Lovely staff, super quality of food, brilliant location, excellent service... Whether you are coming with dog (as me) or without... you would enjoy this place !!
Will I improve anything? .... NO
Did I missed anything? ... yes... more days of my holidays to stay there !!....
And yes I will again mention Staff: Super staff members... happy to help you at any time, taking care of the place and their customers... lovely and friendly.

I am so happy that I didnt changed my mind and didnt searched for something else because of the stories (which are obviously not true or someone thought that is in Hilton Hotel - No you are not, you are in B&B in Scotland in beautiful wood nature location!!) I found on this web....

Will definitely come back again and again !

THANK YOU...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Martin_uk_cz
scotland
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Four of us stayed here for two nights. Friendly staff and locals. Rooms were clean and tidy, well heated with tv, tea and coffee. A well stocked bar with open fire and random live music supplied by one of the locals who I believe was also responsible for much of the art and decor throughout the bar area. Not sure if he did the magic kilt bar stools too, I never got round to asking about these but was really meant to, thought they were quite original and a great idea.
The bar has decent if not exstensive range of whiskys, I found these to be considerably cheaper here than most bars in the area.
Breakfast was included in the price, a great choice of hot and cold fair including hot and cold vegetarian options. All in all a great wee place for a short stay in a great location for nearby Loch Lomond and other attractions. The staff are all very informative and are happy to chat and answer any questions about any subject really wich we found very helpful.
I hate to end on a negativeish note but it's not that bad really. We thought the shower toilet areas in the accomodation quite small, we are all 6 ft and under but have a family member who is 6'6 and couldn't help but think he would have had some difficulty showering comfortably, though I do think most would cope, for a couple of nights at least.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Colin L
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We received a warm welcome from Lisa who promptly showed us to our cozy lodge and was happy to tell us how everything worked. After getting changed we went for dinner which was served in the bar in front of the roaring log fire. We chose the steak and ale pie which was the best we had tasted in years accompanied by a couple of beers. We were joined by the owners and family and friends including Ian, a local musician who kept us entertained by singing and playing the guitar and I joined him on guitar for a few songs and he played the mandolin. We eventually made our way to our cozy room and apart from a little traffic noise we enjoyed a good night's sleep. We opted for the later breakfast which was served in the restaurant and decided on the full Scottish which was excellent. We bade our hosts farewell and departed for the Isle of Skye. We have just booked again for this coming Saturday and we look forward to seeing our new friends again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maltapete
UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed overnight in the village and found this little place while walking my dog. The bar is pet friendly and so my dog was welcomed by the staff. I decided to eat that night and ordered the venison sausage and mash, three large sausages on a tower of mash served with curly kale, it was really good and so I decided to return for lunch the next day. I had the venison burger which was also very good. The bar is clean and well stocked and the service in the bar is friendly and quick. I would definatly return on my travels to the north of Scotland.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Scott B
Beith, Scotland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Really enjoyed my 2 night stay at the lodge, was something different, breakfast lovely, lovely owners, great stay will be back
:) good locaton, lodge was warm and had shower gel and hand wash was radox good make,

• Stayed February 2014
Maleny, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Having read all of the reviews on this site I feel justified in making my own comments now. In many years of travel all over the world I've never encountered such a dirty, smelly, utterly unacceptable dump - and they have the cheek to charge only a few pounds less than the good quality, clean and comfortable Best Western located in the same town. We arrived fairly late in the afternoon and only took the room because there didn't seem to be other option available (we hadn't been into the town at that point). The staff member we interrupted from her card playing in the bar was pleasant enough and showed us to a very tiny,cabin style room. Tired, and longing for a hot shower and a good night's sleep we decided to overlook the immediate lack of charm or facilities and said we would stay. I noticed a dirty old piece of paper stuck to the end of the bed base which indicated that 'more pillows' were available in the drawer of the base. I like a few pillows so I opened said drawer and nearly threw up at the sight of the dirty, stained, smelly and worn out pillows on offer - both were bereft of pillow cases by the way. I took them over to the main building, once again interrupting the card playing duo. I asked what she thought about this vile offering and was told that it wasn't very good and she would bin them immediately (missing the point entirely I'm afraid) She then accompanied me back to the cabins and offered two pillows from an adjacent room. I took those and went back to our chamber of horrors. Then we looked closer - filthy, stained, smelly carpet that you wouldn't wish to set a naked foot on; tiny, dirty bathroom with a mouldy shower, a grubby wash basin and plumbing which seemed to leak from the wall. In the interests of delicacy I won't mention the toilet, except to say that it matched the rest of the place very well indeed. I pulled back the 'bedspread' with some trepidation, despite the fact that the staff member assured me that the bed linen was changed on a regular basis (once a year perhaps??). To be fair it did appear clean but the grubby cups and the fur scaled jug sitting on a sticky bench suggested that cleaning wasn't a priority of the management. Everything but everything smacked of a total lack of concern, care or good housekeeping practice. Dust covered every surface, the outside verandah floor had nails sticking up, just waiting for an unwary foot to catch up. and the general air of dilapidation was astounding. We hastened to the car, drove further into the town and discovered the Best Western - where we were assured that a room was available. After booking in we scurried back to the no star Ben Mor Lodge where we packed the car, returned the key (yes, they were still playing cards) advised them of our departure and were told that they weren't surprised we were leaving. Having read all of the comments on this site I can well understand that lack of surprise. I have no idea what the meals might have been like (some reviewers have praised them) because the idea of sitting at the grubby tartan stools or at the dirty, sticky tables really had as much appeal as the tiny cabin room we vacated. I did suggest that the staffer might care to mention our comments to the owners and was told, with no apparent sarcasm, that they had just left on their own holiday. I've formed the impression that the owners wouldn't have learned much from any other establishment they might have stayed in or, indeed the reviews on this site either as they haven't commented on the many unfavourable reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DOHADIVA

Travellers are raving about these Crianlarich hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa

Been to Ben More Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!