“A Great Start of our Scotland Tour”
Review of Glenardran House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crianlarich
Glenardran House
Ranked #3 of 10 Crianlarich B&B and Inns
Borup
“A Great Start of our Scotland Tour”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this nice and cosy Bed & Breakfast. We felt very welcome. The room was nice and clean and Wendy and Phil made our stay comfortable and we really felt at home. The breakfast was good and traditionally Scottish. We would be happy to go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

philjhCrianlarich, Owner at Glenardran House, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
many thanks for the review, we're pleased you enjoyed your stay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A lovely little bed & breakfast place, run by a really nice and friendly couple! They made us feel really welcome, and were extremely personable every time we saw them during our stay with them. The room was lovely, pretty and very clean, with soft towels and full sized bottles of shower gel, hand wash etc. The view out of the window for room number 2 is spectacular!

Breakfast was delicious, very high quality food, and plenty of juice, cereal, fruit, and hot drinks.

We felt as though we were special guests all the time, we can't speak highly enough of this delightful B&B - we would not hesitate to stay there again.

At the recommendation of Phil & Wendy, the owners, we took a train journey out to the West Coast on our day off from the Commonwealth Games, and it was wonderful - we saw wild deer from the train, and had a really lovely trip.

Once again, we would definitely recommend this B&B - thank you so much Phil & Wendy!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
many thanks for the review, we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was nice to have you around for a few days although you had a tough schedule 'competing' in the Games!! We'd have loved to have joined you on the Jacobite as its a few years since we did that journey .......... hopefully our time will come round again
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here only for one night when travelling to the North, but thanks to this B&B it was already a great start of our holiday. The host was very kind to us. We had a nice, clean bathroom and room with comfortable beds. Breakfast was very nice and fresh, we could eat what we wanted. The surrounding area is very beautiful for walking. Only the restaurants in the area..... well, Scottish cuisine.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
many thanks for the nice review, we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us
Foxboro
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed one night while walking the West HIghland Way. The owner was very kind and gave us a choice of rooms since we were the first to arrive. We chose the room with a tub and this was awesome as we were able to soak after a long day of walking. The room was a good size with everything we needed. The owner keeps menus of the two restaurants so we were able to look at them to choose the one we wanted.
Breakfast was freshly prepared and we met others who were walking, so we had a nice conversation.
The owner was extremely nice, and had some beautiful photographs hanging up that he told us about.
After a long day, this was a good place to spend the night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
philjhCrianlarich, Owner at Glenardran House, responded to this review, 21 October 2014
many thanks for taking the time to say such positive things about us, much appreciated
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights when i was trying to get some Munros bagged. I couldn't get the same room for both nights so had to switch, but that was no problem. I just left my bags on the bed and they were moved for me. The bed was very comfortable and I had no complaints about the room or the bathroom. The shower was nice and strong which is good after a long walk. The breakfast was perfectly acceptable. I had planned to ask for porridge, but thought the fresh fruit salad looked so tasty that I had that instead, followed by the Full Scottish. The owners were friendly and attentive, and were happy to have a chat. I would be happy to go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
thanks for the review, we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I spent two nights here half way through walking the west highland way. I'm not a fan of the 'guest in our house' arrangement of bed and breakfast-type establishments and this place reminded me why. The welcome and attitude of the owners was very stuffy and disapproving, and this attitude continued during breakfast and in any interactions I had with them. I'd add that I had too many interactions with them for my liking.

My understanding of renting a hotel room is as follows:

"I'm paying you quite a lot of money to stay in a tiny, dated, cold bedroom with a cheap dribbly shower for two nights and eat an inexpensive breakfast from LIDL. You should be grateful for my patronage and make me feel like you are. I'm the boss; I can do what I want. I don't want to hear from you, see you, know you exist or know what you think of me until I'm paying you the bill, that we agreed upon in advance".

The understanding of the hosts was a bit different, and amounted to:

"You're a guest in out lovely house and you're lucky we're having you at all; we don't normally associate with your kind. We don't want to put limiters on the television volume control and leave the setting entirely at your discretion, but we will complain if it increases above 25%, even though it’s a tiny 12 inch TV with a miniscule 10 watt speaker in it and even if you have poor hearing. Yes, you can hear a load of noise from us and the other guests but for some reason we don't disapprove of that in the same way.

A similar arrangement exists at breakfast. The menu specifies "help yourself" but if you take too much fruit we'll try (unsuccessfully) to add FIVE POUNDS onto your bill upon leaving, and threaten to ring the police if you don’t cough up. We won’t actually ring them though, perhaps because we know we’re the ones comitting highway robbery. Fruit is terribly expensive in Scotland, even the cheap stuff from hard-discounted supermarkets frequented by pensioners and the unemployed. Should you open a single serving packet of jam to taste it but not consume it all you'll be severely reprimanded again.”
I'd understand this hoity-toity attitude if the place was Windsor Castle but it isn't. It's not in the best state of repair and the owners are trying to sell it and move on. I suspect this is reflected in a reluctance to invest in the things that matter more than a pretentious air. The semi-functional, dribbly, lukewarm “power showers”. The antiquated television advertised as sky but really just an old analogue sky box with no viewing card and only the free channels plugged into a tiny CRT TV. A timer on the heaters so they only work at night.

Read the other negative reviews and you’ll notice the proprietor patrolling this site like a hawk, ready to instantly pounce upon and reprimand reviewers he disapproves of. Take my word for it; he’ll do the same thing if you choose to stay with him.

In summary, If, during your holiday, you'd like to re-enact Tom Brown's school days and feel like you're in a snooty, pretentious boarding school constantly in fear of being told off for behaving normally and perhaps looking for handy hints on how to improve your table manners, this establishment may be ideal. Alternately, if you prefer to be left in peace to do as you please and instead prioritise a hot shower, warm, quiet room and modern television, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Roderick T
philjhCrianlarich, Owner at Glenardran House, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Our initial reaction on reading the review was to answer each and every ‘allegation’ in the ‘story’ but on reflection it’s not worth the time or effort to do so. The review is so OTT as to be totally unbelievable, much removed from the truth and packed with downright lies, some libellous. Clearly just an attempt to ‘rubbish’ us at every turn for what he considers a bad experience.
All we want to say is if he doesn’t enjoy the ‘guest in our house’ experience then he should consider other options. Perhaps his needs/expectations would be better served by choosing other accommodation where his antics may go unnoticed. Firstly helping himself to handfuls of fruit from the breakfast room to consume later in the day and, secondly, on the 2nd evening/night choosing to turn the digital skybox in his room off with the tv left on and thereby creating a screeching noise throughout the house causing other guests to complain and culminating in our having to turn off the power to the sockets to the back of the house. His statement ‘I'm the boss; I can do what I want’. simply sums up his total disregard for both ourselves and other guests. During almost the entire time spent with us he chose to have earplugs in/ headphones on, including in the breakfast room on both mornings, difficult therefore for us to interact with him successfully.
In conclusion, if he found the facilities/service we offered so appalling why did he choose to stay a 2nd night with us
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Comfortable, clean room, friendly people, good hearty breakfast. Excellent packed lunch on offer for a bargain price. No complaints whatsoever. I stupidly left a guidebook behind when I left - one e-mail to Phil at Glenardran and it was in the post to me. Superb!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#1 of 10 in Crianlarich
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy

Been to Glenardran House? Share your experiences!