Portnellan
Agoda.com
Monachyle Mhor(Balquhidder)
US$300
  • Breakfast included
Clachan Cottage Hotel(Lochearnhead)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$132
US$105
  • Restaurant
Loch Long Hotel(Arrochar)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$112
Agoda.com
Arrochar Hotel(Arrochar)
US$111
US$101
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe cottagesboard gamesruined castleself cateringenjoy the scenerywhopperloch lomondwelcome packelectric showerlocal areapeace and quietlong weekendbeautiful locationsurrounding areareception areawarm welcomegreat hospitality
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We stayed at Portnellan with my husband and my parents for a short break. Our lodge was Buzzard which is the 4 star premium lodge with beautiful views. The standard of the lodge was immaculate. Cameron was our host and he was extremely helpful and checked if everything was ok after we settled in at our lodge. There was a range of games & dvd's to rent, maps and all other information about the area at reception. There are lovely walking & mountain bike trails and the fishing opportunities were great for my husband! We will definitely return and this time we will stay longer. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leanie81
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I found Portnellan via the VisitScotland website, and I was primarily attracted by the location - it is very well positioned as a base for doing nice drives out to Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Loch Lomond, the Trossachs etc.

Our party: two adults and an infant, and we stayed in the Raven lodge which is a 2-bedroom 5-star lodge with easily one of the best views available.

The first thing that struck me is how well designed the site is - each lodge is positioned to give you plenty of privacy and a fantastic view that is all your own. Secondly - the staff were very helpful and friendly, they organised a cot and high-chair for our baby without any hassle. The lodge itself was very baby-friendly too and our toddler roamed about safely.

Our host, Cameron, kindly organised the local store at Crianlarich to provide our usual grocery shop - it was all ready for us when we arrived, and it was just one less thing to worry about. Also, my family are all vegetarians so someone had kindly left out a veggie recipe book in our lodge for us when we arrived! It was that thoughtfulness and attention to detail that sums up the Portnellan experience.

The lodge was very well equipped with technology for those rainy evenings - a big HD television, a Bluray player, a Nintendo Wii, and Sky television.

The only negative points I can think of:
- couldn't get wireless internet access working reliably (maybe that's a good thing?)
- the electricity meter in the bedroom cupboard makes a buzzing noise that sometimes made it hard to sleep
- although lovely and comfortable, the lodge's decor isn't quite what I expected from 5-star accommodation

... however, the glorious views from Raven lodge made me very glad I spent the bit of extra cash going for the 5-star option.

Bottom line - we'd definitely like to stay there again, and we would not hesitate to recommend Portnellan to friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IanK319
Reviewed 1 July 2010

If you're thinking of a Timber Lodge retreat with stunning views in Scotland head for Portnellan. Our 2bed lodge was spacious, fully equipped and very clean. Each lodge seemed to be positioned to maximise the views. Cameron, the owner, was very pleasant and helpful. He is obviously working very hard to ensure visitors make the most of their stay, with great info and guides on what to see and do. Couldn't ask for more. Cameron is also a bit of a foodie and gave us good recommendations for some fine dining, which I was not really expecting in this quite remote part of the world. We would definitely recommend Portnellan and will return ourselves at some point.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank LondonDon42
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We only stayed there for two nights but had a faboulous experience.
our lodge overlooked the loch which is nearby.
Cameron the host of the porperty also gave us tips of hikes and things to see which was very usefull.
Would definately recommend this place. Next time I will stay longer!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank eastpreston
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We visited Stob Beinnan Lodge for 2 nights in a group of 8 friends. It had taken me a long time to find a proper place to celebrate my fiancee's 30th birthday - something luxurious, big and for our sole use so we don't have to be thinking about neighbours all weekend. It seemed from what I was told by Trevor while making a reservation that this lodge was a perfect choice. We were greeted by Cameron, the son, and told to check-in with his father, Trevor. We were told to go to our lodge on our own as it was open and basic rules of stay were explained. I specifically asked what time we had to check out because we paid to stay until Monday. Trevor checked it in his diary and said "There is nobody coming to stay there after you so you can leave at your leisure on Monday". No deposit was taken and nothing else mentioned, just that we can leave the lodge open as they do when we are leaving.
First disappointment was that our lodge was not a separate building but a half of a semi-detached house - we had a family behind the wall and sharing a small garden. We were having BBQ all day, playing outdoor sports, and about 7-8pm we had to turn the music down because our neighbours already complained about it! If we wanted to have this situation, we could stay in our flat in Glasgow, not pay £390 for 2 nights nearly 2 hrs away! We invited Cameron to try our food, our vodka and he even phoned his friend to come over and enjoy our hospitality. We didn't even mention that we were misled by false statements about isolated location of the lodge.

Another quite shocking thing was that this lodge has 4 stars according to Scottish Tourist Board, but everything there is very old, run-down, sad and not luxurious at all! Garden bench was broken, sofas in the living room were very old, upholstery was very tired, coffee table was all in scratches and stains, taps in one bathroom were broken and all furniture require huge renovation.

On Monday morning we sat to have breakfast outside and Trevor with two guys came to our garden and started to look for something. He didn't even speak to us to explain what was going on. It turned out that the men were there to empty a septic tank which was 5 yards from our table - when we were eating! Our neighbours also went outside and were complaining that such things should have been done early in the morning when we were all sleeping!
We stayed until afternoon because we were allowed to do so at the check-in. We went to reception to borrow paddles for boats, where we met Cameron who smiled and asked 'Are you leaving today?". I answered "Yes, but we're still here". Then we spoke about boats and us 5 left. Later we packed our stuff and cleaned the lodge - we took rubbish bags to the bin outside, we emptied the dishwasher and put last plates for one more cycle (the dishwasher was in 1/3 full) and put all dry plates away to cupboards. We only left one saucepan filled with water in a kitchen sink and obviously a few plates in the dishwasher. We didn't hoover or sweep the floor, as cleaning was supposed to be included in the price we paid. When we went to reception to return paddles, there was nobody there. We waited around the owners' house for about 10 minutes, calling them many times with no success. As we were not asked to lock the lodge or do anything at our departure, we left for home. Nobody contacted us on Monday evening.

On Tuesday morning I received an email from Cameron at 8:50am stating that we stayed for too long on Monday, so we are charged for next day!!! There allegedly were also some stains on the carpet in the living room and we were charged £100 for wet wash. The last thing was that we left the house in unacceptable condition because we didn't sweep the floor and wash this one pan!!! BEFORE I MANAGED TO DO ANYTHING, CAMERON USED MY BANK DETAILS ALONG WITH MY SECURITY CODE TO MY DEBIT CARD AND TRIED TO TAKE £300 FROM MY ACCOUNT!!! I didn't have enough funds on my account so he managed to take £200!!! WITHOUT PHONING US, SPEAKING TO US WHEN WE WERE THERE ON MONDAY OR TAKING DEPOSIT OR TELLING US ABOUT INSPECTION OF THE LODGE BEFORE WE LEAVE!!! I was shocked, disgusted, appalled and devastated that someone kept my private bank details and used them without even contacting me to charge me SO MUCH FOR SOMETHING WE DID NOT DO OR WERE NOT AWARE OF! I phoned them and they seem to not give a damn about what we think. Our parents run a small hotel and all of us travelled through all Europe and the rest of the world and we never expected that the state in which we left the lodge was inappropriate. We assumed that no deposit was required because all house was in poor condition and there was not much we could damage. We paid £390 for 2 nights and it included cleaning, so I cannot understand being charged £72 for extra cleaning. If there was a stain on the carpet, we could pay some reasonable amount to cover the cost of cleaning (but we are all sure that it must have been some minor stain as we don't remember it at all and we can't see it on our pictures and videos), but not £100! Is it to wet wash the whole lodge, or maybe two or more lodges??? I'm quite happy I didn't have more money, so they only managed to take £200! But still, how could they not speak to us if they thought we were there too long on Monday and change their mind after Trevor had told us to stay as long as we wanted??!! Anything like that has ever happened to any of us, it spoiled the whole experience and my fiancees birthday! I think the father and the son who run this business should be ashamed of themselves and not to be so greedy!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends