“Great Place to Refresh”

Ranked #1 of 11 Crianlarich B&B and Inns
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Great Place to Refresh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is an authentic classy place to stay out in the country. We found our room and bathroom to be clean and nicely decorated. The dining room was also clean and appropriately functional. This BandB also has a living room available for guests, complete with a selection of movies that rival a movie rental store.

The hosts at Ewich were pleasant and welcoming as they served us, advised on hiking, dining and traveling. We also felt very safe, as our host was a fire investigator previously, who by the way, went to New York City to help after 9/11.

The breakfast was fresh, made to order, and included vegetarian options. There are ample hiking choices nearby, including some from the property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Had a night at Ewich to break a long journey home from Skye. The room was very comfortable and the house enjoys a peaceful location which all but guarantees a solid night's sleep. We appreciated the extensive DVD library in the lounge, and had a good breakfast before starting out for home. A solid and dependable B&B all round - Ian and Deb can be proud of what they've created at Ewich House!

Room Tip: Theone at the end is next to the bathroom - handy for a soak without having to walk far back to the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We received a warm welcome from Ian and Deb, then enjoyed wonderful accommodation with attention to detail and comfort.for its guests. A great nights sleep followed by a very tasty and plentiful breakfast. Nothing was too much for the hosts and somewhere we would return to and recommend to family and friends.

North Queensferry, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

....for 5 friends on the West Highland Way! Ian and Deb made the evening a real pleasure in a comfortable, relaxing, well run, beautifully furnished guest house. One of our group had been injured and Ian could not have been more helpful, both practically and in the essential uplifting banter! Will definitely recommend friends to visit and plan to stay again as soon as I can.

Room Tip: All 5 members of the group. loved our rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here for a night when walking the west highland way and everything seemed fine at first.
The Lovely woman who met us on arrival even offered to drive us to our starting point for our walk the next day as it was some distance away and said her husband would run us into town at night as we were dining out.
All seemed well until the Husband (Ian) grudgingly ran us into town promptly emphasising on several occasions during the short trip that we order a Taxi for the morning. He also took us to a cafe where we had a burnt breaded Haddock and dried up chips (being from Scotland we know what a traditional Fish Supper should be).
On our return to Ewich House (at 8:30pm) we asked for a packed Lunch for the following day only to be told that we did not give enough notice. So if you want a sandwich and crisps make sure you give them plenty of notice ie at least a day or two.
Finally to add insult to injury when awaiting our Taxi in the morning we passed the time chatting to a lovely young German couple who had arrived after us at the B&B the previous day, then to our surprise they were whisked away to town by Ian while we were left waiting for our Taxi.
Lovely B&B but they should not be making promises they cant keep or don't even want to make in the first place.
Made for a very uncomfortable stay......shame

ianlrichards, Owner at Ewich House, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Firstly, both Deb and I are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us at Ewich.
I take on board your points made but on this occasion; do feel that I need to respond to them.
We do not offer lifts, on a whole as we are not insured and also found that with a lot of walking customers; most needed a lift whilst we were serving breakfasts which made it impractical. Because of this Absolute Escape’s, who you were booked in with, give their customers £20 for taxi fares so you are not out of pocket whilst staying with us. Any lifts we give are on a goodwill basis, which is why Deb offered it. As you point out I did give you a lift in the evening even though we do not at any point advertise that this is a service we offer nor take any money for.
I’m also sorry to hear you had a bad meal but as I have no tie in with the place that you ate at, you should take it up with them, you did ask my advice on where to eat and I suggested a pub in Crianlarich but you asked to be taken to Tyndrum.
You had agreed to get a taxi back later that evening, so the reason I emphasised that you booked your taxi for the morning at the same time was because I know from experience that the limited taxi service has huge demands and cannot always guarantee a taxi at the time you would like.
This is what happened to the German couple, who had a train to catch, and were going in a different direction to you so couldn’t share your cab, therefore rather than see them miss their train I gave them a lift.
Finally, re the packed lunch, I will add into our information pack that packed lunches must be ordered by 6.00pm, I’m sorry that isn’t made clear and we will rectify that, however on the night you asked for one at 8.30, I literally had nothing in stock and as the local shop was closed at 6pm, I had no means of buying anything, I did point out that there was a large selection of sandwiches, crisps, cakes and chocolate at the Green well shop in Tyndrum where you were being dropped off by taxi.

Ian Richards
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Ewich House takes about 1.75 hours to get to after landing at Edinburgh Airport. If you are coming in overnight and rent a car, this is a reasonable amount of time to drive before you run out of energy, which was certainly the case with us.

Easy to find with signage on the main road. You instantly see some of the wide range of animals as you drive in.. shetland ponies (I think) in a corral next to parking. Deb met us at the door... very friendly and showed us to our room right away as well as the comfortable common room and dining area.

We were in room three at the top of the winding stairs, which are a bit challenging if you are hauling luggage. In the stairwell are many references to firefighting... apparently Ian gave of his time at the World Trade Center collapse area using his skills as a fireman.

The room is OK size, and the bed was more than comfortable. The bathroom has a small shower stall but is otherwise adequate. My only other beefs here were that the water pressure for the shower was very poor, and that some of the hardware that support the shower stall came loose when I was reaching up while showering.

Breakfast was great, and Deb packed us each a bag lunch with crisps to eat on the road, for an extra, reasonable cost. We were quite pleased with our stay overall, and we would not hesitate to return if we get the chance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Over the years I have stayed in any number of inns and B&B's from Vermont to California, and across Europe. 20 years ago I left my law practice to buy an inn in New England. For lots of reasons that did not work out, and it was a good thing. I did not have the right disposition to share my home and run a business that depends on enthusiasm, competency and genuineness. Rarely have I found an inn and innkeepers about whom I could rave. Ian and Deb have a gem of a property, situated in a glorious part of Scotland. I will leave it to other reviewers who will understandably rave about the rooms, breakfast and scenery. What I want you to understand is that these are terrific people who understand what it takes to deliver a high quality service/product, and do it with genuine sincerity. They WANT you to have a great experience. And you will. This place, and Ian and Deb are a rare combination of qualities that will cause you to write a review like this one and make you figure out a way to come back. Just terrific. Alan and Cate

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#3 of 11 in Crianlarich
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy

Been to Ewich House? Share your experiences!