“The perfect place to rest and relax along the West Highland Way!”
Review of Ewich House

Ewich House
Ranked #1 of 10 Crianlarich B&B and Inns
Herentals, Belgium
“The perfect place to rest and relax along the West Highland Way!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed one night in Ewich House, while walking the West Highland Way in 2013.

The fact that I still want to write a review although it's been quite a while, should give you an idea of how much I enjoyed my short stay there. ;)

Arriving there, I got a very warm welcome, and was shown around the beautiful house. There was no rushing and it didn't feel like it was done a million times before (although it probably was).

Enjoyed their guest room, watching... ok, I know, not very original.... Braveheart! :) The owners probably rolled their eyes seeing it, but who cares ;)

In the morning, the breakfast was very good, the clothes I asked to be washed, were clean, dry and smelling nice again, and with a good night's rest behind me, I was ready for the next section of the Way!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bart T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Czech first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I've stayed here many times. The rooms are good and the breakfasts are great. (The eggs come from their own hens). Ian and Deb are are friendly and helpful. Very peaceful place to stay - an essential criterion for me. The place is regularly used by walkers on the West Highland Way but I've always used it as a place to stay when I'm on my way for a day's work in Oban. It's excellent value for money although I'm not actually price sensitive as when I stay there I'm on expenses. I prefer this place to the more expensive Crianlarich Hotel nearby because it's simply better. I've told Ian and Deb that they should be charging more but Ian's said he doesn't want to be undercut by the many other guest houses in the area. I've stayed at some of the other guest houses in the vicinity (when Ewich hasn't had any vacancies) and they've charged a similar amount for B&B but have been of much poorer quality.

Room Tip: The single bedroom at the west end of the guest house is the best
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BurmeseDaze
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed with Ian and Deb in July and found them to be lovely hosts who made me feel very welcome, especially as I was travelling alone which can sometimes be daunting. I found the room really comfortable with such a nice array of toiletries, and I was able to borrow a DVD from their vast collection to watch in the evening. The breakfast was extremely tasty and Deb kindly also made a sandwich for my lunch. The surroundings of the B&B are beautiful, with Ben More nearby and lots of cute animals in the garden to hang out with. It was very relaxing and I fully intend to stay there again at some point in 2014! I would recommend the B&B to anyone travelling through the area who likes comfortable accommodation and friendly people (everyone, surely?).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Katness_1983
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was one of our first B&B experiences, and it was even nicer than we expected. Ian and Deb were wonderful hosts. The scenery was great, very serene and picturesque. The hospitality was more than we could have hoped for. The rooms were in great condition with a homey feel. It was one of our favorite breakfasts of the trip, and we wish we would have had more time to explore the area and even some trails located on site. If we make it back to Scotland, this B&B will probably be incorporated into our itinerary again, it's a great place to stop en route to another activity, or a great place to spend a few days, jetting off each day exploring the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Düsseldorf
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We spent two nights at Ewich House and this really was our best stay!
Ian and Deb are very friendly and helpful, so we always knew where to eat or what to do. Our room was lovely and spotless, which applies to the guest lounge and the breakfast room as well.
The breakfast at Ewich House was the best we had during our stay in Scotland: there was a wide choice and whatever we chose was delicious.
So we were really sad wen we we had to leave which is why we are planning on going there again in 2014 :-)

N&R from Düsseldorf

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Ewich House is in a great location for those travelling to and from the Highlands. It is nicely decorated, the rooms were a good size, comfortable and clean. The breakfast was spot on and the honesty bar and TV room, with such a great supply of DVDs, all added bonuses. My only complaint is the recommendation we were given for dinner. It was simply awful and ruined a night of my holiday. We were sent to the pub a mile away called the Rod and Reel and it was such a disappointing experience. Although the staff and locals were friendly enough, it was a really rough and unpleasant. It felt like a real locals drinking pub and not somewhere to enjoy a nice meal. At one point someone was so drunk they fell over at the bar. There was zero atmosphere and I felt quite intimidated. I made the best of it thinking that maybe there was nowhere else within a reasonable distance, but we left as soon as we could. However, I was bitterly disappointed to learn the next day that there was a fantastic pub a ten minute drive away called the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. I couldn't understand why we hadn't been sent there instead of the Rod and Reel, which was an absolute dive. In my opinion, it showed very bad judgement on the part of Ewich's owners, who I can only assume are friends with the owners of local pub, as I can think of no other reason why you would send someone there for dinner. It completely wrote off what, if we had gone to the Bridge of Orchy - as we did for lunch the next day - could have been an enjoyable evening.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eleanorlavish
Chester
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at Ewich House on our way to the Highlands in October this year. This was our third stay with Debbie and Ian and once again they made us feel very welcome. After an evening meal in the pub in Crianlarich we relaxed in comfort in the guest lounge with a DVD from the extensive collection. The next morning we enjoyed an excellent cooked breakfast the set us up nicely for the second leg of our journey to Applecross.
Ewich House is a well appointed and homely country house. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. It's proximity to the Highlands makes it an perfect stopping off point for long journeys and short stays.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crianlarich
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#3 of 10 in Crianlarich
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
Bridge of Orchy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bridge of Orchy

Been to Ewich House? Share your experiences!