“Great holiday”

GreenLeadersGold level
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at the Winnock Hotel in Drymen 15-19/5/14.
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves our room no 2 was fine although the wardrobe needed fixing and the bathroom could do with a proper towel rail and a decent shelf to hold toiletries .our meal the second night took over 3 hours the staff said they were overwhelmed that night!!!
They were our only complaint the food was very very good beautifully served and the staff were excellent special thanks to Courteney who also hosted our quiz night great fun.
The weapons display we all went in expecting to be bored rigid but we weren't it was great fun and well told by Gregor McGregor. We had two singers both absolutely entertaining.
We had great company on our coach lovely people and great trips out with a great driver.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Hull
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just come back from a week-end stay at the Winnock Hotel ( Fri-Sat-Sun ). 2nd week in May.
Couldn't help but notice previous review, as we were allocated room 31 and found it to be very clean , comfortable and not noisy at all.
Of little comfort to the previous reviewer whom I'm sorry to read were unhappy with the room. I can only assume that they made their complaints known to the Hotel staff and they took appropriate action. So , I guess a big thank you to you.
I would say however that whilst we though the room was very good, the décor we though was a bit "dark" and the mattress on the 4 poster bed a bit softer than we would like but otherwise OK.
Interesting point when we phoned the hotel to book for the dates specified they said they could just about "fit us in" and quote a price a lot higher on the Sunday than what was shown on their web site.
So we booked on line on their web site, without any problem for the cheaper terms.
When we arrived on the Friday, the hotel was very busy and explained that they could not accommodate us in the restaurant till after 8.30 pm which we felt was a bit late. It was a fine night so we drove to Stirling and found a great curry restaurant !
Saturday evening was no problem, and we enjoyed a 4 course "taste of Scotland" dinner in the restaurant. £26 a head but it was a lovely meal and we enjoyed it.
Sunday evening we decided we would have a "one course" dinner in the bar, from the bar restaurant. The bar menu was, I suppose a typical "bar menu" but the food is cooked in the same kitchen as the restaurant and we enjoyed it. ( cheaper too ! )
Interesting little twist however when I went to the bar to order and asked if I could open up a "tab". The barmaid said I could but would have to clear it with the hotel reception desk. So, off I went to the hotel reception desk explained that I was resident etc and wanted to open up a tab and the little girl on the desk sai she would have to "allocate" £50 off my credit card.
Well normally if I open up a tab, the bar or hotel will debit a notional £1 , but certainly not £50!
Having explained this to the girl , she said she was not going to argue with me, she would have to allocate £50 or there would be no tab !
Interesting customer care approach I thought, so I just said don't bother, I would pay for my meal / drinks as I go along and the hotel would need to stand the appropriate bank charges for each item.
Back to the bar, ordered a drink, the barman asked if I wanted to open up a tab, I said yes, he said that's fine and wouldn't even take my card or debit anything.....just said settle up at the end.
So two meal, two pints and two glasses of wine later settled up and job's a good one !.
Breakfasts were good too .
Just getting back to the bar meals however.
The bar is open to non-residents and boasts 2 wide screen TV's, one at either end of the bar.
There was a football match being televised on the Sunday evening, and the gasps, explanations, exhasperations and emotions expressed by some of the locals , every time there was a goal, free kick, penalty or the ref needed glasses etc, was quite loud and distracting.
So, with World Cup Football coming along, if you do decide to eat in the bar, you may want to choose your options and timings carefully to avoid the spectator enthusiasm ( unless of course you fancy watching the footie and joining in yourself ).
Overall we had a good experience and the scenery around is lovely.
I would quite happily return.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely old historic building, on the village green ...friendly staff...lovely real fire in reception and nice old pub attached....some of the rooms are ultra modern, with new bathroom suites, walk in showers etc... And I understand that they were very nice. Our room, however, No 31, was in the old part of the building, directly above reception and the front door....on first sight, the room looked delightful, with a four poster bed, antique furniture and a real charm... But in the light of day, we came across many failings....the carpet was absolutely filthy...the dirtiest I've ever seen inside any building....it was disgusting!....the heating was not working and a generator was whirring loudly from a cupboard next door. Also, we could hear, word for word, every conversation at reception, outside the Bar or in the street below.....not good when you have to be up early each morning. The breakfasts were mediocre.....the evening meals, fabulous.....the staff friendly, and the location excellent......but my lasting memory...........the filthy carpet in room 31.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

First night on the WHW trail and here we stayed. Staff friendly. room spotless and good hearty potions of food. However the hotel is looking a wee bit tired and you could stay in a more upmarket hotel for less money. Possibly catering more to overseas travellers given the prices of the rooms but this is my only grumble about the hotel,

Lancashire
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Hard to fault this place. They work so hard to make guests at home. All our meals were delicious. Perfectly cooked salmon, melt in the mouth venison, everything done properly. On some occasions dinner was a little slow and this could well be to do with the coach parties being fed in another area. The hardworking staff appear all over the place. Ryan even popped up in our bathroom to help with a minor problem.
Some areas are 'tired' and I think this is reflected in the price. We liked the central location for where we had planned to visit and found ourselves wondering why we had always rushed up Loch Lomonds West shore.
we were on an easy break, anyone who uses them knows how great they are.

Room Tip: we asked for and got a quiet room
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just had yet another overnight stay here and it doesn't disappoint. Got a great deal for 3 of us with dinner included. Reception staff lovely and welcoming couldn't be more helpful. Like what you have done with the sofas in reception with the lovely log fire burning! Food was great, plenty of choice and quantity. Children,s menu also good choice and varied, excellent value for money. We had a family room which was spotless, lovely big room overlooking the green at front of hotel. Clean spacious bathroom. Plenty of tea, coffee etc in room. Staff in restaurant all very helpful especially Ryan, nothing too much trouble! One of the reasons I keep returning is the ambience of the hotel great for a relaxing short break....will be back soon...keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laineyloulou
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First class service from all the staff in this friendly, cosy, hotel. Food was delicious & served promptly by the efficient & friendly staff. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, always making you feel welcome & relaxed, they were a great bunch of people who seem to gel very well together as a team. The room we had was fantastic, very large with its own verandah which was perfect for sitting in the sun (yes i did say sun!! it shone the whole time we were there!!). The location of the hotel is idyllic in the very pretty village of Drymen, local amenities are particularly good, lots of lovely places to visit within easy reach. All in all we had an amazing five day stay & would like to say a big thank you to everyone at the Winnock for making it so perfect
Gary & Chantelle, Southsea, Hants

Room Tip: rooms with a verandah seem particularly nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chantelle112
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Winnock Hotel? Share your experiences!