“Moving in the right direction” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Drymen
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
West Lothian, United Kingdom
“Moving in the right direction”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I hadnt eaten at the Buchanan Arm restaurant for a couple of years and the last time I did I want impressed.
However I have to say with low expectations this time I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in the standard of the food and presentation.
The food was fresh, hot and attractive on the eye although maybe a little small in portion size.
To be fair though my wife was happy with the quantity and I like my food.
Staff were attentive as they were on my previous visit.
I will go back soon so hopefully the progress will continue and another good review will follow.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank West;Mr.stuart W

London, United Kingdom
“Bad service, terrible meal, especially if you are veggie or vegan.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We went to the Salmon leap because it seemed to have a veggie dish that appeared to be vegan from the description on the menu posted outside. The person who greeted us told us that even the dishes marked V for vegetarian were probably made with chicken stock. I was taken aback, but another member of staff corrected her, so we sat down. That was our mistake, we should have left.
I was told I could not have the garlic bread as it was made with butter. I asked if it could be made with olive oil instead as they seemed to have some bread being put on tables. I was told no, a sure sign that all the food is delivered by van and microwaved. Sure enough my brochette was a soggy lump of over heated tomato pulp and bad baguette. My main came with the garlic bread I could not eat and my partners meal came with the veg having been cooked in butter and drained, and the service was appalling too, we were ignored and had to correct the bill. Never eat here.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
cheshire
“good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

excellent choice of menu. and very reasonably priced for a hotel.
The food was very well presented and delicious

Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Where good days go to die; avoid the Salmon Leap!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I write solely in relation to the Salmon Leap Restaurant which serves the hotel, not in relation to the rooms or other facilities. Please, avoid the restaurant at all costs.

This area is a wonderful area of the world and I urge everyone to come to the town of Drymen and surrounding towns on the quieter side of Loch Lomond. The shores at this side are a lot quieter than those at the likes of Balloch and Luss, and the scenery is unrivalled. We spent a fantastic summer day with our dogs here; until we decided to stop for Sunday lunch in the Salmon Leap.

Appalling. Shop-bought. Over-priced. Rubbish.

We were sat in the conservatory area of the bar, which judging by the photos on Best Western's website, has not seen a lick of paint (or indeed a window cleaner) since the last photo shoot in 2010. The atmosphere was eerie, quiet and only interrupted by a compilation of Michael Buble's greatest hits intertwined with 80's love power ballads. We should have known right there to head back to the car and drive on to Balloch for food, but for reasons we can only regret, we opted to stay.

The starters arrived after only a short period of time (microwaves are very efficient nowadays) and smiles suddenly disappeared. Tinned soup, shop bought pate and garlic bread slices which transfer you to another place- no, not Venice, Rome or Milan; try Tesco or Asda. Dreadful. In fact we could only laugh at the "swooshed" balsamic drizzle which accompanied the pate; who was the "chef" trying to kid?

And main courses; dear oh dear, Best Western, what has happened? Looking at the menu, we noticed that penne pasta with a tomato, chilli and aubergine sauce was one option, whilst a penne pasta dish with chargrilled chicken was another option. My companions order the penne pasta with tomato sauce, but asked if it would be possible to add the chargrilled chicken to the dish. The "chef" must have been quaking in his boots- this may have been the most difficult act of culinary skill he has practiced since that particularly tricky day in 2011 when the ring pull broke on one of the cans. True enough, it was simply appalling. One set of pasta heated in the microwave, served with a chargilled chicken piece which had been defrosted and still tasted of the originally sauce packet it was originally intended to be served with when it was prepared in a factory a few weeks earlier.

And Sunday "roast" beef; I think trading standards might need to look into this one as the only people being roasted here are the absolute suckers like myself paying £12 for the microwave boil in a bag style slices which the Salmon Leap tries to pass off as "beef in gravy". Frankly, it would have been funny had it not been so expensive. Honestly, this was the kind of beef you were once served for school lunch before laws made it illegal to serve such low quality food to young children. The accompanying veg did bring back fond memories of Mediterranean holidays however; I'm pretty sure it’s the same stuff served on airlines...

Following on from the penne pasta debacle, one further point to note. One of our party asked for chips instead of the stated mash for his beef. A simple enough request. But no, for some unknown reason this was not possible. Instead, he could have the chips as a side order and pay for the privilege (again, the fool decided to pay the same amount for a small portion of frozen chips as he could have bought a bag for in the nearest supermarket!). In an act of irony, the waitress then asked "so you have a portion of chips on the side, do you still want the mash?". Well, considering he had no option since he had already paid for it, he practically insisted upon it (had he not, the chef may have needed some annual leave to cope with the stress of having to put some thought into the plates of food being served).

The service was, unfortunately, also poor. The staff were uninterested and we were treated almost like an inconvenience. We had to request cutlery for all of our courses. There were also no condiments on the table, and by the time the requested vinegar arrived, our party had decided that they had had enough of the pitiful offerings. The only saving grace was the young male waiter who informed us that he had only started the previous week; when we informed him at the end that the food was simply terrible, he could only let out a sigh and apologise.

This was laughable. But at £130 odd for 6 people having two courses with one drink each, it was a very expensive laugh at that. The fact that it was Father's Day and that this was intended as a treat to my father probably has left the poor guy worried that we are about to send him off to Dignitas for his 60th birthday...

Please avoid.