“Better than expected!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
Forres
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I booked a 3 night stay and were pleasantly surprised by the overall experience.A very spacious room at the front of the hotel with king size bed and three piece suite, an enormous bathroom too. All very clean. The atmosphere is very much country inn with comfortable bar areas to relax in. The restaurant provided a very high standard of cuisine ,wonderful wok seared prawns, lamb cutlets, chicken and salmon mains with superb sauces, a very capable chef with high standards. Breakfast was good too, my wife really enjoyed the locally smoked kippers, quite different from the usual supermarket fare. Service was very pleasant everywhere,the right balance. The pool was a lovely bonus ,clean and great staff. We could not have asked for more and great value too, we shall be back !

Room Tip: We had a large room at the front of the hotel with king size bed
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write your review. Great to hear we over delivered on your expectations and you had a fab time with us. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Volker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Booked a spa day with light lunch for 2 through 'Today's great deals' voucher . Arrived over Easter weekend on a lovely sunny day and was glad the pool was quiet. Leisure facilities are old, tired and very basic. Pool, jacuzzi and sauna all very small but for old style hotel leisure clubs this is the norm, definitely would n't describe as a spa hotel. If spa packages are being sold robes, slippers and decent towels should be made available. Towels were the kind you get a local swimming pool, changing rooms small but adequate. Ladies toilets, tissue required to be refilled and showers had very basic shower gel with no shampoo or conditioner available.The smoothie that was given as part of voucher was not exactly appetizing but maybe just not to my taste ? Tea served as an alternative was served with brown sugar instead of white ! On the plus all staff were polite and helpful and best part i would say was light lunch although not that many choices, beef noodle teriyaki was tasty !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here for a stopover. It was convenient for getting into Glasgow but in a quiet location. We stayed in a standard double room, which whilst not large had everything we needed for the one night plus the bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was great with a good selection of items. Coffee plentiful and was topped up as if by magic.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank KarenMc2014
Motherwell
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My Partner and I recently spent a 3 night stay at this Hotel, And we were not disappointed from the photos in which we saw prior to visiting, We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Overall we had a lovely stay. On our arrival while my partner was waiting to check in, I noticed 2 young ladies whom clearly had come from hiking the West Highland Way, Looking for a room for the night. And I got a distinct impression that walkers are not particularly welcome at this establishment, I guess catering for a different market such as couples, coach tour parties etc.
This hotel was in a handy location for travelling around Loch Lomond and seeing the various sights of our land.
Our room was spacious, clean and extremely comfortable and our room on the first floor over looked the main street and across to the view point opposite. Despite being by the main through road. Noise from any traffic was minimal. And in fact I guess the worst noise was from the squeaking floor boards from outside our room. To which at times during the night, did become distracting.
We found the food in the Restaurant exquisite and very tasty , however found the proportions on the small side on both the evenings we dined. And perhaps slightly over priced for what we got., Breakfast on all 3 mornings was fabulous,. On our final night stay we decided to try something different, Mainly to get a good plate of normal type and wholesome food.
I had a look at the spa facilities to which I was impressed by the variety of treatments on offer. However I did find them somewhat expensive, and therefore declined any treatments on offer.
Overall I had a very pleasant stay, There was ample seating space to enjoy a drink from the bar and relax. I would certainly consider returning to this hotel. The hotel is situated in the main town and is only a few minutes walk from shops, pubs etc

Scotland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Only stayed one night as part of a golf break but I will return. The staff were very welcoming and attentive without being overbearing. The room was spacious and comfortable. The food was very good as was the service in the dining room. The Spa was excellent. The wi-fi signal strength in the room was good. A good experience but too short.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Merseyside, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights B&B 13/14 Apr. Quiet little village in Drymen. A very good base for Loch Lomond. Beautiful scenery around the Loch just a few minutes drive away. Staff were very attentive special thanks to Barbara on reception & Becky & Brian in the dining room. Lovely meals I had the beef & mustard mash which was perfect, my husband had the steak which was also good. Pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna & wet room where great especially after a climb up Conic Hill & a good walk around Balmaha-Forest & Loch-side. Also you can get the ferry across for £5 each & have a walk around the island of Inchmurrin which takes around 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or longer as it has a nice little pebble beach. You have to climb Conic Hill for it's beautiful surroundings. Sorry digressed a little there but well worth the mention, had a fantastic time
The hotel has a lovely conservatory to sit in, plus another bar area. Good gym facilities but didn't use those as we were out & about most of the time & used the pool area when we returned. The room was spacious, comfortable bed & good facilities. Best power shower I've had. The breakfast was great. from cereals, yoghurts, fruit, juices,croissants, then the traditional Scottish breakfast, lovely. Would definately use again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with a view, this is from room 47 the right handside has the car park. The...
Dear Guest

i thank you for your kind review. The entire team looks forward to welcome you back soon

Regards

Volker Steinemann
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at The Buchanan Arms for 1 nights Bed & Breakfast in April. I've been past this hotel so many times, but never actually been inside it, but there was a reasonable LateRooms offer, so we thought we'd give it a try. Its a very old building, so we didn't expect too much in the way of luxury.

Check-in was quick and straightforward, thanks to the helpful receptionist. I'd asked for a quiet room, and wasn't disappointed. The room itself was large, clean and very spacious, so no complaints from my fussy wife !!

We decided to investigate the Spa area and pool, via the gym, which had plenty of equipment. The lockers in the changing rooms require a pound coin to use, and as this isn't obvious til you get there, it a good idea to go prepared. The facilities also include a jacuzzi (on a 10 minute cycle), sauna, and steam room. And if you're lucky enough to go in when there are no screaming children, the pool is great !!

The best part of our stay had to be the evening meal. I was getting a bit worried when I read the menu, as I wasn't sure if I'd like anything. But I have to say, it was absolutely delicious. and with piping hot soup, there were no complaints from my fussy wife !!! The drinks were, like most places, very expensive; but at 3 courses for around £20 per person, we thought the meal was very reasonable. Have paid a lot more elsewhere and been disappointed.

After a very comfortable nights sleep we went down for breakfast. Not quite as good as dinner, but served its purpose. Continental and hot buffet were available. The room was busy, but without much in the way of queues. The staff at both meals were very good. Attentive without hovering over you all the time.

Overall, we were pleasantly surprised, and we would definitely go back (which is unusual for us). Would recommend The Buchanan Arms very highly, you won't be disappointed !!!

Room Tip: Room 52 is very quiet. Only 1 other room beside it at the end of a corridor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Winnock Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!