“Big improvement”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
Strathkinness, United Kingdom
“Big improvement”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Last stayed here about 4 years ago and since then its under new owners and they're making big improvements. Good big bedrooms, comfortable beds, good food and excellent service. Drymen is a favourite place to visit as it has a holiday feel to it and good pubs

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Geoff B
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

thank you for your kind comments, we work very hard at improving the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel.

Regards

Volker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I got married here on 5th april an it was just such a brilliant day from start to finish. I can't thank the staff enough for all their help and how friendly and attentive they were, they helped make our day so special. Also a big thank you to Volkner who done a fantastic job on the day keeping everything run so smoothly. The food was just delicious and the room accomodation was just perfect and really comfy. The gardens and surrounding areas are also great for photo opportunities an very relaxed atmosphere. Overall i experienced a great service from all the staff and would recommend this hotel to any other couples considering getting married here.

• Stayed April 2014
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Great to hear you had a fabulous time. Hope to welcome you back soon.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I travelled from Canada to hike the West Highland Way. We are experienced travellers. We used a Scottish Tour Company to book our lodgings along the WHW and were informed that a double room with ensuite was booked for us at the Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Spa. The booking was made last November. After a long first day of hiking drenched by the rain and tired we arrived at 6:55pm. The lady at reception advised that according to her list all the hikers had arrived and our name not on the list, albeit, our luggage had arrived.

The receptionist was not overly welcoming and said they had a room and she would look into the problem. We were given a twin room. We asked for a double as that is what we paid for and were told there were no more double rooms left. We were tired and accepted the room. A staff member was nice enough to bring our luggage to our room. The receptionist later advised that she found that it was their Hotel not the Tour Company that was responsible for the mix-up. Apparently the Hotel had booked the wrong date November 11th instead of May 11th. Under the circumstances, in my opinion, we should have been upgraded or given some form of compensation. I had forgotten that I was a Best Western Rewards Member and this was a Best Western Hotel, shame on me as I believe that I was entitled as a member to a free upgrade.

We went to the nearby Clachan Inn, Scotland's oldest registered pub since 1734. After a short wait we had an enjoyable meal and returned to the Hotel. The Spa was absolutely wonderful. Beautiful clean swimming pool, both steam and dry sauna's and jacuzzi that certainly made us feel better after our hike.The lady staff member in charge of the pool was very nice and helpful.

Our room was clean. We didn't get a good nights sleep in the twin beds. Breakfast was fine, our server was very knowlegable about hiking the West Highland Way. There is a Bank of Scotland right across the street if you need additional funds, keeping in mind you will need enough money to get to Tyndrum where the next ATM is located if hiking the WHW.

We approached the front desk the next morning to check-out and the same lady receptionist was on duty. We stood at the front desk counter directly in front of her. She had her head down looking at a computer screen. We felt ignored. She finally looked up and we were happy to check out.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked the new year package 2012-13.....thoroughly enjoyed it, food, entertainment etc was excellent! Icing on the cake, my partner proposed to me on Hogmany!
So when looking for a wedding venue we looked no further than the Buchanan Arms :-)
We got married there on 30th November, St Andrews day 2013, we had a fabulous day run by a bunch of experts! Ourselves and all our friends and family enjoyed it helped, by weather so we have lovely pictures from outside in the beautiful scenery that surrounds the hotel.
We can't thank them enough for wonderful memories of a happy relaxing day, down to the canape's, wedding ceremony in the conservatory, great food and entertainment.
So we've just booked to go back again this year for the New year package and looking forward to it so much!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juni_mcf
Dear Guest

thank you for your nice review, hope to welcome you back soon.

Volker Steinemann
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Staying with a party of 6 at the hotel, B&B for 2 nights. Our room was certainly fine along with en suite bathroom. However our sleep was interrupted on both nights due to excessive creaking floorboards from the room above (Room no.25 was the culprit, I checked this out the next morning).
We were hoping to sleep until the back of eight on Saturday morning, but people in the room above were continually creaking about from 7.00 am, absolutely infuriating! Sunday morning wasn`t quite so bad. I realise the hotel is a fairly old building, but this problem needs to be urgently attended to by the owners.
Breakfast service on Saturday morning was a bit shambolic, as stated by the previous reviewer (kovwirana), however Sunday morning breakfast service was much improved.

In general, reception / bar / waiting staff were friendly and helpful, however breakfast / dining area staff need to be better organised and more attentive to hotel guests needs.

I would certainly stay at the hotel again, but would be looking to see improvements relative to the above.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not below Room 25!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I got married in Buchanan Arms in Nov 2013 and had a very good experience from start to finish!

I actually was at a wedding fair talking to another venue who I'd been hoping to book, and after a lukewarm response from them I visited the Buchanan Arms stall right across the isle - and I'm glad I did! That day, the person was so friendly and helpful that me and my mum and sisters visited the venue that very day and my mind was made up!

Despite the wedding coordinator leaving just a short time before the actual day, the hotel went out of their way to do everything they could - including answering ALL of my many questions. Lorna took over coordination of the day and her, along with all the staff were amazing. Although I didn't deal with her on the day, my sister couldn't praise Kitty enough who was there too, setting up and dealing with my homemade backdrop etc! Everything was done exactly as I wanted.

The hotel itself was lovely and all of our guests have said so too - my ONE tiny gripe about the whole day was moving from our room the night before into all of our rooms for the actual wedding night. Cleaners wanted in whilst we were getting hair and makeup done and there was a bit of faffing around to sort out but Nothing major, just a minor thing! Everyone got into their rooms as early as possible, way before check in which was also brill.

Me and my bridesmaids used the spa facilities which were amazing, great massages and swim and sauna which was also used the next day by those brave enough to do it with their hangovers.

Lastly, the reception itself - food was great, they catered to my weird request for my VERY fussy brother with no hesitation, and made sure everything ran smoothly - the dj that came as part of the package was nothing short of AMAZING and was very well received by everyone - music was perfect for our taste and a great party was had with everyone dancing all night! Really, there's nothing I would change and would highly recommend Buchanan Arms for a wedding venue - my photographers actually got a snap of all of the staff sitting at the top table wearing some of our wacky photo booth items which was awesome and fun to see when we got our photos back,and really just highlighted the fun atmosphere alongside the utmost professionalism through the whole process - thanks so much!
Louise and Craig Swan (16/11/13)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

we loved to host your wedding day here at the hotel, we had as much fun hosting your event as you enjoyed your day.
We wish you both all the best and don't forget us for these Anniversaries.

Regards

Volker Steinemann
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I got married here on 3rd May and I cannot fault it at all !! My day was perfect from start to end. Staff were so helpful and cheerful, they made our day so special. The duty manager Andrew in particular was very attentive. Also Volker was helpful when we were organising everything. Food is so delicious, I can't wait to go back for a meal !!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Suzannew123
Dear Guest

thank you for your lovely review, we try our best to ensure our guests have a fab time.

Volker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Winnock Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!