“Great value for great room and facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

and 1 more site!
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Drymen
“Great value for great room and facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I travel on business and have stayed in this hotel twice now. Its superior rooms are big, spotlessly clean, very comfortable and very good value. The hotel has really good facilities including gym, pool, sauna etc. Very helpful staff and great local food offerings at dinner and breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest

I thank you for your kind comments, Haste je back soon.

Volker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked this hotel for 2 nights - 1 at either end of our touring holiday just to break up the journey. Our room on the first night was huge and tucked away at the back of the hotel so was very quiet. We dined in the restaurant that evening and both had burgers topped with goats cheese and red onions which was really filling. So much so, we couldn't manage the chocolate pudding we both wanted!!!

I had booked a room only rate as that was all that was available but breakfast was only £9.95 each and considering how much there was to choose from, we considered it good value for money.

The receptionist was hilarious and great fun to talk to. She was on duty when we arrived a week later for our 2nd stay and remembered us instantly. This time we had one of the newly refurbished rooms with a massive bathroom at the front of the hotel overlooking the main road but the village itself is very quiet so you'd never know! We were too late for dinner but the lovely receptionist arranged for us to have the chocolate pudding we couldn't manage on our first visit brought to our room (I think we had slightly bigger portions that we should have had too!!).

The hotel is currently refurbishing it's bedrooms so it might be luck of the draw as to what you are allocated. The only downside is the lack of lifts so you need to carry your luggage upstairs to your rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toni A
BAH_management, General Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest

great to hear you enjoyed your stay, we are very pleased that the new owners of the BEST WESTERN Buchanan Arms Hotel and Spa are refitting and upgrading the hotel, we try to keep any disturbance to an absolute minimum and its great to hear from our customers and get their feedback regarding the refitted bedrooms.

Volker Steinemann
Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I did not stay in the Hotel but booked myself a spa day as a way of a treat. Having chosen the most expensive of the days available with 3.5 hours worth of treatments, I was set up for a lovely day to myself. The first disappointment came with the lack of fluffy robes .. instead I was handed a rather measley off white waffle robe with a distinct lack of fluffiness. I couldn't make up my mind if the robe had started off white and had gone grey due to over use and washing or in fact it was grey but had got lighter due to use/washing ... but I should complain to Trade Descriptions. My second disappointment came when I was told that lunch would not be served poolside but up in the Conservatory ... that meant I had to get dressed again to go up there. So much for lazing around in a (not so) fuffly dressing gown chilling out.

The treatments themselves consisted for a black pepper salt scrub - okay but really it was a dribble of oil followed my a wee scrub with a loofa. This was followed by what they called a Muscle Melt Massage. Full body and just lovely. Then came a facial with a bit of a foot massage as the mask did it's thing. Lastly was the Indian Head Massage. This was the bit I wasn't sure about as I hate anyone messing with my hair but it was actually one of the highlights of the treatments. All in all, the cost of my spa "day" was £210.

As lunch had been booked for me, I had 45 mins to do something. As I didn't really fancy getting changed, have lunch then get unchanged again, I decided to go for a quick swim. Not ideal, I would have preferred to have stayed in their relaxation lounge and chill out then maybe have a wee swim later but the organisation of the whole thing was against me. Apart from the extremely damp floor in the changing rooms (a tad slippy) the pool etc was lovely. Its just a shame I didn't have a lot of time to make the most of it all.

Lunch was soup and sandwiches followed by ... who knows. I left after no-one came back to attend to me. Whether I was due to have tea/coffee I have no idea. While there was nothing wrong with the food, the service wasn't up to much at all.

All in all, I was rather disappointed with my so-called treat day. If some thought had been put into it would have been lovely but I didn't feel I was made to feel special at all. The receptionist couldn't even be bothered to show me to the restaurant!

Please do buy some decent bathrobes.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Disappointed109
BAH_management, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guests
I am sorry to hear you did not feel totally pampered and relaxed after your recent visit to the Haven Spa and Leisure club. We will be implementing a new lunch menu which will be served to spa users on the pool side bistro this week and will give guests the opportunity to enjoy their lunch without the need to change out of their bathrobe and disturbance of their spa experience.
I noted your comments regarding the bathrobes.
I will discuss the points you raised with The haven Spa team. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the muscle melt and Indian head massage. I was lucky enough to have enjoyed both of these and I was totally exhausted after one treatment and I needed an extended rest in the relaxation room.

Volker Steinemann
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a very good hotel. The rooms were HUGE and the bathroom was very spacious. It was also very quiet, which was good for us. The only thing I have to complain about was the air. It was very warm in my room with no apparent was to cool down other than open a window. Other than that, it was fantastic. Internet was fast too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Guest

great to hear you had a fab time

regards

Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed for a one night stay while walking the West Highland Way. Booked on a booking engine - sat night - twin room - £90 for the room with no breakfast. Reception staff were pleasant but reception sometimes seemed understaffed. Room was clean and comfortable - we did have to negotiate a maze of corridors to get to it. There was a wedding on when we were there but this didn't really affect us. Can't comment on food as we didn't have breakfast and had dinner at the Drymen Inn - highly recommend. As previous reviews mentioned there were signs up regarding refurbishments and certainly the areas concerned looked long overdue for an upgrade. Bar prices were pricey. If staying again would do a similar stay with no meals, eating at the Drymen inn and avoid the bar with its high prices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GilJackieG
Dear Guest

I thank you for your comments, good to hear you enjoyed the refurbished bedrooms here at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you felt the bar prices seemed expensive compared to the local pub in the village. We try to offer quality spirits, wines and beers at prices which reflect the surroundings and facilities we offer.
If you book directly with the hotel we would normally always offer inclusive Bed and Breakfast rates which would give you the opportunity to enjoy our wide continental and full Scottish breakfast.

Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at the for three nights whilst on a walking holiday in the area. The positive point was the Spa which was well equipped with a pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The room was adequate but nothing special with a relatively small window giving a view out of the back towards a noisy bypass. There was a notice in the corridor apologising for the refurbishments which were certainly needed but of which there was no evidence.
The food in the dining room was nice and well presented but portions were rather small. The prices in the bar were rather steep - I think £2.45 for a small soda and lime is probably the most expensive I have come across

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drymen
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!