“Johns Stay at Sinclair House”
Review of Sinclair House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Helensburgh
Sinclair House B&B
Ranked #4 of 20 Helensburgh B&B and Inns
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Johns Stay at Sinclair House”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Sinclair House for work purposes in Sepember 2012. My work collegue and myself were met by a Iain and Ishmel, who made us felt welcome from the start. This is a fanastic B&B, located right in the heart of Helensborough. All the mod cons without the fuss, lovely rooms, TV, Fridge and free WI-FI connection and a Lap- top provided to boot. Breakfast is of a very good quality and if you have a specific need, I am sure Ishmel could deal with it without any problems. I really enjoyed my stay and would return with my wife if there was space available.

Room Tip: Ring early and talk to the owners
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Sinclair House was the first place we saw arriving in Helensburgh and decided to give it a go. We where only going to stay one night but after seeing the room we decided on two nights. Every thing in that room was quality. The attention to detail is excellent. The bed had a memory foam mattres and was very comfortable. The shower room had every thing you need. Not sachets, but proper bottles of shower gell, Shampoo and soap. There was even a laptop computer with WiFi at no extra cost. This enabled us to explore the area to see what was around us and book our next stop in Edinburgh. We have stopped in a few places in our time but this was outstanding. A couple of DVDs had been provided with info of the local area and places of interest nearby. Every thing had been thought of to make it comfortabe and enjoyable. The breakfast was great with some poridge to start with and a full English after with loads of toast and coffee.
It is unlikely you could top this B&B. I forgot to mention, it also had a fridge with loads of milk for tea or coffee. And it was topped up the next day. That was a first, as one usually gets just enough for a couple of cups of tea and thats it. Attention to detail again. I can't rate this B&B high enough. If you are going to Helensburgh or the surounding area, Go to Sinclair House you wont regret it!.............

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We have friends in Helensburgh, whom we wanted to visit on our way further north, & as we didn't want to upset their domestic arrangements, we chose to find a B&B locally. We'd been past Sinclair House many a time, so we knew it from the outside. Now it was time to see the inside. What a B&B it is! Having booked well in advance, we arrived on Sunday 16th Sept, to be greeted by Iain Jackson, who accepted money, & took us round to Rm 1. We, too, paid £76 for the pleasure of staying there - money well spent. The B&B is separate from the Jacksons' own accommodation, which is probably the wisest course. Iain explained about Docking thingies, Wi-Fi & all that stuff, & showed us a room of good size, with a smallish bathroom en-suite.Everything was squeaky-clean, & in superb order. The Jacksons have thought about everything - including plasters, q-tips, tissues & nail-polish remover in the bathroom cabinet. Others have extolled the virtues of Sinclair House, & we enthusiastically agree. The bed was very comfortable, with a Tempura mattress that treated you like an old friend. There's car-parking in a small yard, so be prepared to manouevre, - & don't park on the red bit! Breakfast, which you choose from a lengthy list, was good, & as we were next to the dining-room, it took all of 10 seconds to get there. Iain was in the RN (he can be forgiven for that) so we, being ex-RAF, found ourselves on a similar wavelength, & he took the time to chat to us about travel worldwide, & proved a store of useful information. He and the estimable Ishbel are excellent hosts, & are now the yardstick by which we will measure all B&B stays.

Room Tip: Only saw Rm 1, bit we have no doubt all are equally good.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I don't always take the time to write reviews but in this instance I feel I must. I have stayed in both the B&B and the apartment during the past 18 months. Both offer absolutely first rate accomodation.

Rooms in the B&B are well appointed and very clean. 2 of the rooms now have full SKY TV facilities, a very rare service in a B&B.

The apartment is simply first class. Fully equipped large kitchen, including a TV, a very well furnished main living room including a 50" wall mounted TV receiver (HD included) and reclining leather chairs.

The bedroom is comfortable, in fact, the mattress is one of the most comfortable I've slept on. There is a TV in there too.

Decent sized bathroom, decent shower over the bath.

Hand enough for the main streets and attractions of Helensburgh and just a short drive away from Loch Lomond

Hignly recommended to business travellers and holidaymakers alike

Room Tip: All room are quiet and well equiped. However, if you like to watch SKY, ask for one of the rooms wit...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
scotland
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I only stayed for one night on business( just a shame it couldn't have been longer). I stayed in room 1 which had everything I could need and more. Room immaculately clean and all the little extra touches like chocolates beside the bed, chilled wine glasses and toiletries etc in bathroom made all the difference. Ishbel and Iain were out when I arrived but had made special arrangements for me to get key etc and when I did meet them they couldn't have been anymore welcoming or pleasant. Breakfast was faultless and by far the best breakfast i have ever had in a b&b. Sinclair house is perfection in all ways. I will definitely be back and hopefully for longer the next time. Thanks again. X

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Bridgey78
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I booked the room literally last-minute. We called the owner the night before, (who happened to be at dinner and was very friendly, although it was a little late) because we could not find anything in Balloch and in retrospect we could not have been luckier for it. We stayed in Scotland for 2 weeks and this was the cleanest, most organized and comfortable B&B of all! It was even better than the 4star hotels we stayed in!

We stayed in a double room for £76. Iain and Ishbel run the B&B like a "tight ship" as a previous user correctly pointed out, which is a good thing for us. They may seem a bit distant or 'cold' in the beginning, especially when you've just arrived and get little drills to do before checking in (pay for the room - fill out your contact details - check what you want to have for breakfast, etc.) but during our short stay (unfortunately, only for one night) we realized how much they must love what they are doing and that we would be taking the same precautions to avoid problems and to organize the guests' stay as efficiently, if we were in their place.

The style of the house is very 'Macintoshy', which is fabulous if you are a fan (and if you are, don't forget to visit the Hill House, which is a 3min drive from the B&B). We had the first room on the left when you walk up the stairs (don't remember the number), which was big, spotlessly clean, the bathroom seemed to be newly refurbished and if you are a gadget geek, like my husband and I, you will enjoy the individual wireless network that Iain will set up as soon as you arrive, the laptop in the room, ipod docking stations, the big dvd collection (if you have the time to watch any films) and the 50'' plasma TV with full Sky package.

There is a supermarket right across the street if you need supplies, and if you are too tired to drive to Balloch you should have dinner at the 'Riverbank' restaurant, which Iain and Ishbel recommended.

The breakfast was also very nice. I've never seen cleaner cutlery at a B&B/hotel before (or after), which made it even more enjoyable and we also enjoyed chatting with Iain and getting to know him a little better during breakfast. The other couple who was staying there were also very friendly and the whole experience is very nice, if you enjoy getting to know the people you meet when you travel. If you don't maybe a hotel is better for you.

The only problem for us was that we had to move on and we couldn't stay longer than one night. We would love to stay there again, should we go back in the future!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This has to be the best B&b we have stayed in. This was a last minute booking. We got stuck in Glasgow, & had no number to call to say we would be late. Iain called about 7.30 to ask if we were ok, & gave us directions. He & Ishbel were waiting on our arrival, & couldn't have been better. It had been a rough day, so to be made welcome & have everything explained quickly was great. We had a telly with all the channels we needed(irrelevant that we don't watch it), 2 computers with full access, great shower & a very comfy bed.
Breakfast was a delight. I have never before been asked how i like my bacon( Like 'how would you like your steak' ). Iain even apologised for bringing Stella's poached eggs on toast to early ( she eats cereal really slowly ) .
I've never stayed in a bad B&b, but this goes top.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family