“superb”

Ranked #16 of 64 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$50
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Good Food in a relaxed atmosphere. Great ambience for family gatherings or romantic evenings.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We were looking for a place to go for dinner and the music playing from the alley way to upper crust caught our attention.We have been many times since our first visit and would recomend it to anyone.Excellant variety of music,very pleasant owner,whos timeing between courses is perfect.Food is always to a very high standard and bursting with flavours.The bread on the table is always welcomed,nice touch.Good selection of wines and the garlic prawn starter is awsome.Chef even came out,said hello and thankyou.Warm,peaceful experience in a charming,friendly restaurant.By far the best in Helensbrough.

4  Thank grantyboy78

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Rainy few days in Helensburgh on business. Usual lonely wandering around at 8pm trying to find a place to eat.

Rejected the usual italians, chinese and indians as wanted something with a bit of local character.

Heard some kind of folk/rock fusion music coming from down an alley and spotted the Upper Crust sandwich board at the alley head. This is a big positive for me - if I hear Whitney Houston or Phil Collins played ever again while i'm eating I will leave on the spot.

Anyway, walked in, greeted by the very friendly owner, loved the quite ambience, the decor and ofcourse the hosts musical taste.

Eatery is reminiscent of what you would expect from a small classic French restaurant.

Amazed to be given a selection of complementary home made breads almost immediately - something which has died out completely from the modern restaurant scene. Plenty of butter.

Great compact menu to choose from and was told the house specials. Shows the hosts have confidence in their dishes.

Wine prices were fair. Nothing too outlandish, don't drink anymore, but cracked and did have wine with main course as I was enjoying it so much.

The food was absolutely excellent - this isn't haut cuisine, it isnt 2 meals for the price of one - it just good honest ALL HOMEMADE food but presented, flavoured and cooked to high standard.

I hate it when I eat out and know I could of done better myself - trust me - that wasn't a problem here!

Times between courses perfect, customer service perfect, host was just very personable and also met the cook (very nice too!).

Went back the second night, as I knew I wouldnt get anywhere any better, I don't mess around if i'm not happy either - I will complain - but here, everything was spot on. Best eating out experience i've had for ages!

6  Thank gmonkman
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We enjoyad a very very nice meal. The food was very good. The owners made us feel at home in their lovely restarant. A little small but very nice. Thank you. TD

3  Thank TomasD33
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This little gem of a place is far too hidden away down a slightly dubious looking alleyway. It deserves pride of place on a fashionable high street..... but wait, if it were then you would need to book weeks in advance to eat there, and it would lose all its shabby-chic charm. And it is truly charming along with the co-owner and no doubt his other half who cooked our wonderful meal, but sadly we did not meet to thank.
The decor provides a fascinating talking point as you look round all corners of the room, making new discoveries of the weird and wonderful objects that have found their way into this unique venue. Lovers of sleek, modern lines need not apply!
The menu is not huge but we still were spoilt for choice. I had the king scallops on stornaway black pudding as a starter and it was just heavenly, but still didn't stop me eyeing my husband's salmon and asparagus tartlet with its light pastry case with a little envy. Not a scrap was left on our plates from our tasty and elegantly presented main courses either. Along with the nice little touches of being brought a jug of iced water without asking, and the lovely basket of breads with a generous dish of butter, again unasked but much appreciated, made this by far the best meal we had on our trip to Scotland.

2  Thank ANITA G
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My Husband and I came back to Helensburgh to eat once more at Lombardi's in the town but sadly it had closed down. On our walk we stumbled accross this lovely little Bistro with an emphasis on fine food with a French style to it. The steaks were delicious and our crepes' amazing - We shall be back on our next trip and would recommend to everyone - and may add that it is at the West of the town through a small closeway. Well worth the find and excellent value for money.

3  Thank MOUMTAS