“Good food in the Cafe...but watch out for the laughably rude Deli owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Buffet Shop - CLOSED

The Buffet Shop
Cuisines: British, Soups, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Delicatessen with large coffee/lunch area.
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food in the Cafe...but watch out for the laughably rude Deli owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

Very high quality food in the the Cafe and friendly, efficient waiting staff - if you find yourself on the premises try the Quiche Lorraine; retro but delicious! Good selection of cakes and decent coffee too. It's always been busy when I've been there, but it doesn't normally take long for them to find you a table (there's an additional outdoor seating area which is open in the summertime). The Deli (which is in cafe and is under the same ownership) also has a very good range of quality meats, cheeses, olives, pastas etc...however I must add a postscipt to that; the experience isn't all about the food. The male owner is one of the rudest folk I've come across - to staff and customers alike. He barks commands at staff in a style I didn't think still existed (or was, indeed, legally permitted!) in this day and age. He randomly picks people he knows to serve in the deli, ignoring the queuing system which generally prevails across the service industries in the rest of the UK...and please don't think you, as a customer, can make any quiet comment to fellow customers about that, as you stand being ignored - the punishment handed down to you will be Basil Fawlty-esque in it's random rudeness. When I was "noticed" standing prominently awaiting my turn, first in he queue, the owner turned his back on me and walked away while I was giving my order, making loud comments about me as I stood, mortified, with my basket! Once he returned, he then feigned deafness as I attempted to complete the rest of my order, cupping his hand theatrically to his ear and bellowing at me sarcastically - it was just bizarre. Ah, that'll teach me for politely commenting to another patron on bad customer service - dish me up second helpings with a cherry on the top! Publically and deliberately humiliating patrons waiting to pay good money to your business - mmm; I like to support local independent enterprises, but not at the expense of my own dignity! Lovely produce - not a good customer experience...shame.

8 Thank FuschiaD

Scotland
“Great tasting food, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

Good for full meals or just a cup of coffee. Also a deli with wide variety of cheeses, olives, cooked meats etc. so food quality is very high. Friendly service and fully licensed.

1 Thank Balmillig