“awesome”

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Helensburgh
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 27 July 2014

lovely house in lovely setting - made special by the knowledgeable volunteers - who told us why the lounge carpet is the wrong colour, and why you can't visit the 'schoolroom' on the top floor

There are newer reviews for Hill House

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have wanted to see Mackintosh's Hill House for many years now and having a one day break in my schedule went off on a whim only to find that the house was open afternoons only. (Note to visitors check opening times before you go.) This turned out to be a blessing as my husband and I put in the time by visiting nearby Geilston Gardens, also owned by the National Trust. The day was sunny, the gardens beautiful and peaceful and we arrived eventually at the house in holiday mood.
The house was far more than I expected. Even the furniture had been designed to fit the rooms with thought even given to the pattern the shadows of furniture would make on the floor. It was a house full of surprises but unfortunately also full of people which made viewing difficult, after all it is a family home and not a stately palace. I couldn't tear myself away however and things did get quieter making it easier to get the feel of this lovely family home. There was masses to read about the family upstairs and you could easily stay for hours but we limited ourselves to the quick guides supplied in each room and the very knowledgable attendants.
The tea room is a must with a wonderful range of home bakes and it was very pleasant to sit in this charming room and reminisce in front of the old cooking range just like the one my Granny had.
It was still warm and sunny when we left and we lingered a while in the gardens where there were seats to sit on, and admire the view from, as we read the garden guides also supplied.
PS Don't forget to visit the bathroom and inspect the most marvelous shower like a contraption from Dr Who.

5  Thank MorayTraveljunkie
Reviewed 3 July 2014

It's a lovely building and you can really feel it being a family home. The volunteers were really enthusiastic and the gift shop was better than most - partly because there were a lot of Macintosh inspired gifts.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Far be it from me to criticise the master but I found the house a bit dark and pokey inside. Very busy with a coachload of Dutch tourists so this added to the cramped feel. The timber is of a dark colour too. Loved the drawing room though and the fearsome bathroom.

The garden is not large but full of nice things.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Charles Rennie Mackintosh house built for the Blackie family, high on a hill at helensburgh with spectacular views of the firth of clyde.
The detail is impressive and his angularity is softened by his wife's more artistic approach, I love his lightshades. Nice mobile in the Garden too.