“Wonderful example of an Arts and Crafts House”
Review of Hill House

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Helensburgh
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 21 August 2014

What can I say? Perched high on a hill, this magnificent house is a real gem! Packed full of wonderful exhibits, it's an adventure back in time. The views from the upstairs window were fabulous and I asked permission from one of the volunteers to take a photo, she was needlessly officious and brusque as she refused, much to my disappointment. She informed me I could get a photo from high at the back of the garden, which didn't really help me much as my obvious poor mobility prevented me walking so far. The other guide was really nice and we discussed the similarity between this property and the Blackwell Arts and Crafts house which overlooks Lake Windermere, such a contrast to Mrs Jobsworth earlier!

1  Thank lollipop1

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Wonderful to see the Hill House as it was intended - as a beautiful family home in a peaceful setting, with Mackintosh's careful planning and attention to detail, and the added bonus of Margaret Macdonald's delightful touches throughout. Friendly and helpful staff add to the experience.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This Rennie Mackintosh house is worth a visit. Unique interior and exterior design.
It only opens at 13.30 and had to come back on our last afternoon in Scotland to see it. If you have English National Trust membership then entrance is free.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A hint of the Tardis, a lot of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and plenty of amazing ideas for design and decoration. OK, so I'd heard of Mackintosh before I went to Hill House, but had little or no idea what to expect. What a revelation - not just Mackintosh's work, but that of his wife Margaret MacDonald which appears in places throughout the building. The building demonstrates how to use light and space to create something very special - it really does feel much larger inside than it appears from outside. Wonderful architecture and design work - and it's broadened my horizons in respect of how to decorate a house. We felt that if we were given the opportunity, we'd happily move in tomorrow!

1  Thank Anaximander
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Hill House has so many little MacIntosh gems - the lovely little table in the lounge which casts a different shadow as the day goes by, the lampshades in the hall, the tiny nook on the stairs, the elegant bedroom all in white and pink, and the "newfangled" shower in Mr.Blackie's bathroom!
The cafe facilities are a bit basic but they produce tasty stuff.
It is usually open through the summer in the afternoons, but try being there on a December weekend, when the house is beautifully decorated and has festive activities to offer. Great!

1  Thank Joy T