“Too big and feels too much like a chain pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Henry Bell

The Henry Bell
Ranked #17 of 58 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
marrakech
“Too big and feels too much like a chain pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I had lunch with family here and also went for a beer one night with my brother. The menu looks good but I was not too impressed with either the quantity or quality of the food and the service was a bit indifferent. The main thing I disliked was that the place is too big! it stretches a very long way from front to back and you feel a bit lost walking from one end to the other to visit the toilets. No real atmosphere either. A shame as it is fairly new and Helensburgh could do with a resonably priced bar. I preferred the Logie Baird across the street.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank shimmin2robertson

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I really want to love this place but it keeps letting me down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Good, cheep food, cheep drinks and enough comfy room for half of Helensburgh. Excellent outside area too. What more could you want? Sadly inexperienced staff and a lengthy wait on food (even when not that busy) really brings this place down.
I once took a friend for dinner here and it was a total disaster. We waited over an hour for our food, when it arrived it was cold and when we were offered complementary desserts as an apology they brought the wrong things to what we ordered (there was only 3 of us). I have been other times and it was excellent. If the kinks were ironed out then this place could be really great!

Visited August 2012
Helensburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent family pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I have recently visited the Henry Bell twice and thought it was excellent both times. Myself and my wife took my two kids (aged 4 and 3) for lunch last week and then breakfast today. Both times the food and drinks were very good and unbelievably cheap considering the high standard (lunch for four and drinks for under £20!) . Although it is bar service, the staff could not do enough to make sure we were ok and we will definitely be returning in the near future. Compared to other pubs that serve food in this area, this place is really great.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Paul C
Cardross
“Good Value Pub Grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Good value. Excellent prices for food and drink. Will visit again.

“Nice place shame about the lack of food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Attempted to have a meal here with my family. To cut a long story short I ordered a vegetable curry on curry night - they did not have it but they took 20 minutes to tell me. Ordered something else as an alternative, they did not have that either but yet again it took them 20 minutes to tell me. By this time my family had finished their meals. I asked to speak to the manager ( not there) spoke to an ineffectual deputy who asked me if I would like my money back on a meal I did not receive. There is no excuse for such shocking service, you either have the meals or you don't it shouldn't take so long to find out. That said the meals my family had looked fine and they enjoyed them, though my husband felt the portions on his were a bit small.