“Well worth the journey!”
Review of The Akash

The Akash
Ranked #30 of 64 Restaurants in Helensburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We must, of course, come clean right at the outset, Helensburgh wouldn't be on our normal rota of destinations for dinner, not that it isn't a perfectly nice place, it 's just a mere 120 mile round trip from where we live! The reason we made the journey recently, and picked up three of our friends on the way, is that the new proprietors of Akash used to feed us in our local town, every Sunday night, and we miss their wonderful food terribly. Nowhere else in Scotland comes even close to producing tastes and textures like these and we've tried dozens of places. Our recent meal brought it all back, all five of us were treated like princes by Rashid and his brothers and staff, and the food was, as usual, magnificent. The Akash is situated, upstairs, on Sinclair street, and is a really comfortable and relaxing space in which to eat, with a cosy little bar area and seating on two levels.
On this evidence, the Akash deserves great success and to build up a loyal clientele as it's reputation grows, it is just such a shame it isn't on our doorstep any more!
One little tip, when you go, ask if there's a 'staff curry' and get them to tell you about 'homestyle', you'll not regret it, guaranteed!

2  Thank Buster7474

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We have lived in the area for 20 years and have always been told to go to the akash. Well we did this evening to celebrate my husbands new job and to say we were disappointed is an understatement. I really wish we'd got a wee kelpie instead. :o( so disappointed

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

I went here with a group of work colleagues (7 in total), everyone had nice food. The naan bread are massive (1/2 as big again as your average dinner plate)!!!!
The staff were very welcoming and accommodating to my request of a vegetable saag (not on the menu but as a veggie one of my favorite dishes!), all in all a really good evening!

1  Thank Poll_1992
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Recently ordered a takeaway for 4.
They cooked a lamb korma instead of a buttered chicken. Didn't bother phoning because by the time it would have been sorted all the other food would have been cold. As kormas go, it was alright but nothing to write home about. Naan bread was pretty greasy like it was made in a microwave. Friendly enough staff but if your getting takeaway I would rather use flamingo or curry club in Helensburgh

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Ok my wife and I only tend to eat Kormas, which is handy because The Akash has a choice of them.
We have eaten in here once and had 3 take away's. I have never had a bad Korma, the nan has been fine and massive. The service however, whether we have been calling in for a take away or sitting in for a meal has been super friendly and most welcoming.

Great place, even though I can only relate to the non spicy side of things.