“Fabulous Place with very friendly staff!”

and 1 more site!
Inversnaid Bunkhouse
Ranked #1 of 2 Inversnaid B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Place with very friendly staff!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, the food was wonderful, the staff were lovely and they really went the extra mile to welcome us and made us feel very much at home. The rooms were cosy and substantial with very comfortable beds and I had a great nights sleep. The food was excellently priced as the portions were plentiful and delicious! As if all that wasn't enough they have a hot tub round the side of the building, free wifi, free pick up service from the Inversnaid Hotel (which is great if you've been walking all day as the hill is quite steep) and the building itself being a converted church was beautiful.
Overall I had a very relaxed stay which is much appreciated when walking the WHW! Thank you to all the staff for my wonderful time here, I'll be sure to come again in the future and would recommend this place to anyone walking the WHW!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The website says that this bunkhouse is available for group bookings. I phoned about a month ago about making a group booking next summer and was told that was an option. The manager could not confirm the price until he spoke to the owner however suggested that I go to the bunkhouse to have a look. A couple of weeks ago we made the 100 mile round-trip and even had food there. The manager sat with us to take details and said he would speak to the owners about price and get back to me. All good so far. I waited a week without hearing anything so phoned back last Sunday. The manager told me that the owners were not keen to take the booking as they make more money from taking individual bookings. However he was having a meeting with them on Monday and would hopefully persuade them to go with us. I couldn't believe it as I had only initially enquired as the website specifically states that they take group bookings and I was specifically invited up to have a look. Anyway the manager told me he would email last Monday and I have heard nothing from him and another week has gone by. Poor. I didn-t need to make the 100 mile round trip and only did it because I was told a group booking was an option. Not happy at all with such lack of courtesy in not even getting back to me. A big thumbs down from me. My impression of the place was that it was nice and clean. No views. The rooms are very small as they have crammed as many beds in as possible. That would be fine if you knew the people you are sharing with but not otherwise. The beds are over priced for what they are and the treatment by the staff has been disappointing. I'll be giving this place a wide berth. Maria

1 Thank Mariabkglas
InversnaidBunkhouse, Owner at Inversnaid Bunkhouse, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Hi Maria,

As with most hospitality businesses we work hard to protect our hard earned reputation and respond very seriously to bad reviews, whether to apologise for mistakes made or to defend ourselves when the comments are unfair. Firstly, we most certainly do provide group bookings in the summer season, although, as we are fully staffed at this time, we are less able to provide the discounted rates of the winter season. The reason for the delay in a response to you was that, as the restaurant is run as a separate enterprise, next year’s group rates had not been agreed upon with the restaurant manager and in the turmoil of closing the summer end of the business you were forgotten. I realise that you deserved no less than our full attention and in this we failed you; for this I apologise profusely. However the following points should be made:

• While a suggestion was made that you may like to visit, no arrangement was made to do so until you turned up unannounced during a busy dinner service where our manager took the trouble and time to show you round despite having 30+ other guests to attend to. During this meeting you had made it clear that you thought the place was “perfect” and “ideal” for your needs.

• While you stayed for dinner and drinks these were provided at a discounted rate.

• All attempts by our manager to contact you to resolve the situation have been repelled.

It is regrettable that you never gave us the opportunity to resolve this situation and chose instead to respond in such a damaging manner on this website.

Dave Lang
Haywards Heath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here on night 3 of the West Highland Way and really enjoyed it. The affable and amiable Kieran (hope I've spelled it correctly) runs the bunkhouse and does an extremely good job of both this and doubling up as the chef in the upstairs (obviously) Top Bunk Bistro shown in the thumbnail icon. This is a really very attractive space in the roof of this converted church where walkers can eat from Kieran's choice of half a dozen daily specials, drink from a well stocked cold bar (large fridge) of lagers, ales, ciders and soft drinks, or just chill out and relax.

The downstairs dorms are more than adequate and comfortable, and as you would expect from any good bunkhouse, there is a dedicated drying room which was a sight for sore eyes on the day I arrived having covered 14 miles in continuous rain. If I was to gripe, think the mens' loos and showers would benefit from a bit of an upgrade - can't comment on the female facilities!

The price is unbeatable, the bunkhouse will pick you up from the Inversnaid Hotel where the path comes out on the loch, the hotel will even make the call for you. What more can you want - a hot tub, also available for a small additional charge.

A must stop on the Loch Lomond stretch of the WHW, not only for Kieran's relaxed yet simultaneously business-like style and the conducive atmosphere he creates, but for the ideal environment the bunkhouse provides for meeting and talking with fellow walkers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank merrellj
Falkirk
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stopped here overnight at the end of WHW day 2. Unfortunately we had forgotten to take the phone number with us to call for a lift up the hill from the Inversnaid Hotel location so had to hobble up the hill. We stayed in the lower level of the log cabin which was warm and comfortable; not in the main building. A stream flowing by just outside the door where it would be nice to sit and relax. The shower / toilet was shared with the next room which wouldn’t have been a problem if the late arrivals didn’t open and close toilet and external doors frequently for nigh on 2 hours after they arrived at 21:30. Maybe they didn’t have much planned for the next day except sit in the outdoor hot tub but we had a gruelling 14 miles to trek up the worst section of Loch Lomond. The menu is very nice and food very good but I must give special mention to the Cranachan which was excellent. You must try it. Drinks were a bit expensive though. Breakfast was continental which didn’t really suit me but my better half enjoyed it. Good food, good room, good friendly service and the chef gave us a ride back down to the shore in the morning to resume our walk. Little extras like this help make it special. Thanks guys. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Adding an extra day to the West Highland Way, we found ourselves at the Inversnaid hotel. Clean and comfortable, but a curious, parallel universe for a hiker. We were elated to find the Bunkhouse, stumbled upon after wandering about off trails in the hills for a few hours. We stopped in for tea, were rewarded with a history of the former church (complete with original documents) and returned later for a wonderful dinner, drinks, entertaining conversation and a gracious ride back down the hill to the hotel wishing we could have stayed the night. Many thanks to Bruce and company.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Spent a lovely night here with friends.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, suggesting walks we could take and storing our food to keep it cold.

The rooms were basic but good value and we all had a great time upstairs in the restaurant/bar until late and felt very at home.

I'd definitely recommend this place to others, and would return again. Ideally we'd be able to book the lodge for a little more space (although good value, the rooms were a little small and we had a few bumps in the morning as the doors opened into the room and knocked into inhabitants inside) and also just to have our own shower space (there were 4 showers for the bunkhouse itself which resulted in some queues in the morning). The views were lovely and the staff very welcoming - we really enjoyed our stay!

Come the morning we opted not to have breakfast at the bunkhouse, but drove to Callander for brunch which was lovely - we would have stayed but we all fancied something more substantial than a continental breakfast, though it seemed good value at £4.50!

Wishing the team every success with the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night during our WHW walk. I didnt realise the distance, and also the hill from the actual WHW pathway to the Bunkhouse. I believe there is a shuttle avauilable if required but in actual fact the walk up (and down) the hilll was enjoyable. The Bunkhouse is a great place to stay. Our room in the lodge was basic, but clean and comfortable. The bistro in the upstairs area of the main building was excellent. Our evening meal was by far the best meal during our walk and was of exceptional value. I would recommend the bunkhouse for anyone travelling the WHW. The extra mile or so is worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inversnaid
Loch Long Hotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen

Been to Inversnaid Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!