“Understaffed, long wait but fantastic food (made by the barman!!!!!)”

The Bistro @ Loch Tay
Ranked #11 of 16 Restaurants in Killin
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Bistro Loch Tay is now under new management and will be run as an Italian Bistro for the rest of this 2017 season. Ciro and his team would be happy to welcome you to the bistro for either a simple coffee or a well prepared meal we look forward to seeing you in the near future
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I decided to take a 3 day break at the Highland lodges. On our first night we decided to pop down for some food.
On arrival they seemed to be chronically understaffed with one guy trying to serve both the bar and wait the tables at the same time. So much so that we were eventually served, after half an hour by one of the regulars who had popped down for a pint!
The long wait aside, the burgers we eventually ordered came out about 10 mins thereafter which was good.
Now, I can honestly say I wasn't expecting much but the handmade burger and homecut chips I had that night were one of the BEST I've had EVER!!!
When I commented this too the barman/waiter (Paul I believe his name was) he said he'd made them himself and the chef had told him he was putting too many herbs in. Well, Mr Chef take note. Your barman makes a mean burger. I would definitely give them another go.

There are newer reviews for The Bistro @ Loch Tay

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Ate hear with my family and were so disappointed. Parents ordered prawn and avacado and were presented with prawn cocktail - no avacado Iin sight. We had the mixed starter and discovered the chicken wings were burnt. They had run out of salmon so our order needed to be changed. The fish in the fish and chips was greasy so the majority went back uneaten. The chorizo boar burger appeared to be an ordinary burger with 3 slices of chorizo on top; so didnt live up to expectations.
The best part of the meal were the fries; and the drinks.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

this year we didnt find the staff were very motivated at all compared to last year where we spent much more time as was more friendly

Reviewed 3 July 2013

I dined recently with some friends. The food wasn't great and the staff were pretty incompetant but worst of all was the chef - an aggressive looking thug who shouted and intimidated everyone within earshot when a complaint was made.

Not only will I never go back - I will make a point of warning anyone I can off this place. Do not take your children to this establishment. That man is a liability.

Shame because the park itself is lovely.

2  Thank goldieferns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We took visiting family here on a Sunday afternoon for afternoon tea, we were told when we arrived that there was no cakes or scones as the delivery was the following day!!!! obviously none of the cooks had baking skills lol we then waited in excess of an hour for the last coffee to be served, I kept reminding the waiter as I noticed that he was serving people that had come in after us, and all he said was he was on his own!!! no apology whatsoever, frankly the place was an utter joke and we were mortally embarrassed!!! and had it been up to me I would have walked out without paying. I will never ever go there again.