“Great Carvery”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
“Great Carvery”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch on the advice of the chef from the old smiddy and was not disappointed.

Nice warm welcome from friendly staff and the food at the CarveryWent was fantastic. I went for the rib of beef and roast pork with crackling the meat was perfectly cooked and very tasty. Chef made sure you had lots of all you wanted :)

Fantastic value and excellent food.

Visited October 2013

“Lovely family lunch”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Went here for Sunday lunch on recommendation of chef at old smiddy and was not disappointed.

Great selection at carvery food was all fresh and meats were extremely tasty. I had rib of beef lovely and rare and pork with crispy crackling like I say all tasty.

Staff very welcoming and kind all in all great :)

Balquhidder, United Kingdom
“Great food, lovely people, strange service”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Went for my partner's birthday. Had a fantastic meal. The owners' were lovely but the service was strange. The gentleman served the meat and the lady served the veg and gravy, sauces etc then insisted on taking your plate to the table, leaving everyone else waiting. They were lovely, don't get me wrong and I would go again and certainly recommend the place.

• Visited July 2013
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Food, glorious food”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

It's Sunday, it's cold, wet September afternoon, we've been cycling all day to a small spot in highlands and not entirely sure if there will be any place to eat.. So we stop at the side of the road to decide what to do next, what's showing on the GPS's map (not much).. and incidentally it's the path up to this restaurant and a sign promises us "Food, glorious food". On one hand, it's too early for a dinner, on the other hand not much prospects further and "Food, glorious food" right next to us. The second argument wins and we head right up. It warms our heart even more to see that they offer Sunday roast of many sorts. The facade towards the road didn't promise much but once we entered the place we were convinced we had come to the right spot. The carvery display to our hungry eyes looked like a sight from paradise, the chef proudly displays all the various roasts: the gammon cooked in ginger ale, the crackling pork, the chicken, the lamb (I may forget a few more) and in the place of honour - a large succulent side of beef. We both choose 50-50 of beef and lamb, get generous additions of various veggies and it's brought to our table to enjoy. And it was all really, really good. For the dessert buffet we are invited to the other display. As it looks less than perfect, it's obviously all home made; so we try cranachan and a chocolate mud pie (I think) with a generous dash of clotted cream and it is all delicious. All in all, a very satisfying meal and in such a surprising middle-of-nowhere spot!

• Visited September 2013
East Kilbride, Scotland
“Worst Ever”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Quite shocked to read the other reviews. I obviously had a bad experience today. Ordered lunch with my wife and I can honestly say in all my travels around the world this is the worst meal that has ever been put before me anywhere. It was disgusting . We left most of both meals and still the waitress asked us if we had enjoyed our meals. We pointed out that my wifes' steak pie had not been cooked and the waitress replied that that was 'not usual'.
She came back and said the "Chef" apologised and would not charge for my wifes' meal . We paid the remainder of the bill and left. The "Chef" emerged from the kitchen to the car park and apologised again. Never again. No one with any cooking credentials would even have presented that to a paying customer . Worse still that he didn't realise how bad it was as he served it up.He could not blame the fact it was busy it was empty(not surprising).Anyone who thinks I am a moaner may wish to read my other reviews from around Europe.

• Visited September 2013