“Very pretty”

Loch Tay Highland Lodges
Hartlepool
“Very pretty”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Very pretty area. We stayed in one of the wigwams. Unfortunatly our wigwam seemd to be coverd in dog hairs. Whixh I am alergic too. We assuned they woyld of been cleaned since you cant check in untill after 4pm. It's good value for money. A little false advertising on the website though as not all of the wigwams over look the loch and infortunatly ours did not. The resturant on site is terrible , Please see my seperate review for that one. The ahowers and toilets were the best I have ever been to though.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent location of the self catering lodges along the river (Loch) Tay with a beautiful view of the river front from the lodges. a very good experience overall. Also have a resto bar in case you are bored of cooking !!!

Room Tip: Choose lodges nearest to the river front and facing the river front....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Ok, so not the most dry weekend but it wasn't going to spoil our trip. We went up over a Friday and Saturday night in mid May, upon arrival we were a little late and the reception wasn't open but this was no problem and we got our key. We turned up to our wigwam, space to park the car right by and everything was clean on arrival. In the wigwam there was plenty of room for two adults and two kids (and a dog). They was a small colour tv (no usb slots or dvd player), kettle, toaster and microwave. We spent most the time out the wigwam that we just left the bed up, you just need to remember all your bedsheets and covers/pillows. We didn't need the heating on really, these wigwams were very well insulated, so didn't really need sleeping bags and duvet we had were just fine.

In May there was no sign of midges so that was a relief, even in the damp weather or by the water. There were enough fire pits, you should take loads of wood with you. There were also a few small bbqs but we took our own as they were a little tired.

One day we went for a walk all the way down to the water near the restaurant with the dog and kids, this was lovely but be careful the water is very deep in parts. (on site and took around 5/10minutes, you could drive if lazy)

Now to the restaurant, huge potential here. There wasn't a massive rush however all tables were taken, service was a little poor but to be fair I felt sorry for them as they seemed really understaffed, and the food was also slow to come out. The food lacked seasoning and was just ok. However don't this too heart, it's a nice little place and I guess we were just hoping for a bit more. The kids portions were MASSIVE but the adults were not the best, so be aware of that also. I had steak pie and it was ok but swimming in tasteless gravy. Drinks prices were not too bad but all in all, it was nice to go down (9 adults and 12 kids) and not have to worry about cooking one night.

So, we will be going back, lovely place, great for the kids and some of the wigwams you can get view of this park. It's not too far from Edinburgh at around 1hr 45. (I think).

Oh, and one more thing, the shower/toilet block was probably one of the best I've ever been too on a camping/holiday trip. Clean and lots of hot water. It's like walking into some ones house... very strange.

Oh, and another thing, there's a campers kitchen. This is really useful, has a couple of cookers and there's what can only be described as a large living room with benches/tables and sofas. There's a large tv mounted on the wall (usb slots and hdmi if you want to take a dvd player or usb sticks). We were in there (and took over) for a friends kids 4th birthday. We spoke to the site and let them know what we were doing to see if it was ok, owners didn't seem to mind and there was no need to book, they were very helpful. To be honest if anyone did want to come in, the more the merrier.

A perfect little weekend at a nice little part of the world I can recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Brilliant place, rented a woodland cabin, kitchen, great shower, great bed, extremely comfortable. Staff very helpful, provided logs for the wood burner every morning. The scenery is spectacular around the estate, excellent food at the restaurant by the loch. It's such a peaceful place to stay at, all you hear is nature at its best. Killin is just a beautiful wee village full of outdoor activities and places to explore. Falls of dochart Inn is the perfect place for a drink and Scottish folk music, Gary MacAlba is the pure face of a highlander, look him up when you can. Best of it all, everyone seems to walk about with a smile on their faces in a stress free way of life. I literally would move there in a second, it was definitely one of the best times of my life.

Room Tip: Corner woodland cabins or the lodges for the views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bluejayblu
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just returned from an amazing trip to Loch Tay. We stayed in in one of the glens and visited The Bistro, which was so good we chose to eat there both evenings! I must say I'm slightly shocked by the review below, as our experience was the polar opposite. We found the food and service fantastic, and the attentiveness was second to none. We couldn't fault it. What more could you ask for, we had a stunning location, with great food, a lovely bottle of wine by an open fire surrounded by breath taking views. We will definitely be returning here! Just perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Wee just spent the weekend in the premiere wigwam. Absolutely faultless with the wigwam.the staff when picking up keys was welcoming and polite. So very pieceful site and very well maintained and clean. However!! Staff at the marina,big thumbs down. Went down for a few drinks at night to sit outside.the young lass behind the bar was very unwelcoming to say the least and got no better the more I went to the bar.I was left standing for 5 mins while 3 staff was at the till.1 glared over and nothing she just turned away.1 was the only person at bar and when she did come to serve me nothing! I found her very rude and unwelcoming to be working in a public venue, hello,goodbye,sorry to keep u waiting,thankyous cost nout!!! Sat nite they had a wedding which looked nice,wee were told on arrival there would be no food but more than welcome to come for drinks so wee headed down for a few to find the place was all locked up with no one around wee just though aw they must be busy with wedding.wasent a prob wee went to co op in killin for drinks and barbeque stuff and had a great time outside our wigwam the only prob I had was while wee were trying the door a young lad walked passed us and into the bar while leaving the lad passed us and I said hi is the bar not open at all this evening he completely ignored me so I said it again louder my reply was a grumbled NUT! I could not belive it. I love this place and wee will certainly be back but I do hope these reviews get took serious as I feel the marina staff certainly let's down this beautiful place

Room Tip: I've only been in the premiere wigwam but no matter where u are in this park u would be very del...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at wigwams was great staff gave us wrong key so couldn't lock wigwam staff were very helpful and were quite rude but overall we had a great visit and hasn't put us off returning, also the bistro was closed for bank holiday so couldn't go for a quiet drink after dinner.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killin
Ardeonaig Hotel
The Kenmore Club
The Kenmore Club
#1 of 2 in Kenmore
Balquhidder Braes Scottish Holiday Park

Been to Loch Tay Highland Lodges? Share your experiences!