“Summer Sun”
Review of Killin Hotel

Killin Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Killin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night on a stop over trip to the Islands and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
We spent the afternoon sitting outside with a glass of wine ( or two ! ) before having dinner in the lovely Conservatory and another drink in the bar later in the evening.
The food was delicious and an excellent wine list to match.
we had booked 2 rooms - myself in the double with our dog ! Not the largest room in the world and glad I had only the dog to trip over as I tried to get round the bed but didn't pay a lot and wasn't there to sit in a room so not a problem.
My only complaint as such was the two waitresses at breakfast the next morning , whilst we had met one the day before who was absolutely lovely the other who I think may have been local just wasn't pleasant. This has stayed in my mind for a few months since we stayed.
Nothing has put us off though and again have booked one night stop over on the way home for Christmas.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ManagerKillin, Owner at Killin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Hi Fiona.
So glad you enjoyed your stay and your glass(es!) of wine admiring the fabulous views of the Tarmachan mountain range from outside the conservatory.
We look forward to seeing you nearer Christmas.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights and took the dog which isn't a problem here. As I e mailed the hotel and said I didn't like the room they gave us last time (a Groupon deal) they replied with a good offer of a family room - only 2 of us but no twin rooms available as busy that weekend. On the 3rd floor with lovely views over the river to the hills beyond. Only gripe was the shower room which is very small and grouting is black. The wash hand basin is in the bedroom. The elevator is a quirky feature - very old with metal gates which must be closed properly or it won't work! On a few occasions people didn't close them when they exited so I had to hike up the stairs. But it was quite a feature.The tv froze on a few occasions but we weren't there to watch tv so just ignored it. Both breakfast and dinner were good with nice staff and the conservatory is lovely. Its a lovely location although the village seems to be losing its shops - lots closed down but new blocks of flats springing up. Not much to do there but beautiful walks, drives all around the area. We will probably return next year!

Room Tip: Room 37 3rd floor - front of hotel with lovely views. Take the lift!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I'm glad you enjoyed the quirky lift and the stunning location. We look forward to welcoming you next year.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

stayed for 1 night but next time we will be staying longer everything about this hotel was perfect,staff were brilliant hotel spotless,meal mmmm hold on to your chef,garden was a bonus river at the side of hotel was beautiful,thanks to all the staff

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed the chef's food, the views, the river and garden and the spotlessly clean rooms. All has been passed on and appreciated by our superb team.
Thank you.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Killin hotel for 5 nights.
The staff were really friendly and helpful.
The room service was to a high standard.
The menu was good offering a wide range of foods at reasonable prices and the breakfast is good too. There is a city night on Fridays. I would recommend the steak, fish and chips and the stick toffee apple pudding.
There is a bar area, a dining area and a conservatory and all were very clean and comfortable.
There is also a reception area with chairs where you can get access to internet-
There is free wifi available all downstairs but I managed to get it from my room too which was a bonus!
The tv has free view so it's not just channels 1 - 4.
The bed was pretty comfortable and the duvet was quite thick so I wasn't complaining about the cold. Also there was a heater in the room if needed.
The shower was good but you need to run the hot tap for a few minutes first and then turn on the shower as it takes a while to heat up.
There is a mini hair dryer in the room, plus your standard kettle, towels, soap, coffee shortbread etc. the shortbread was so good I took a few extra packets when the cleaners weren't looking..not that they'd mind anyway ! ;)
The room was quiet at night and I couldn't hear the people next door to me or the activity downstairs.
In the evening the atmosphere in the bar was great.
Kids are allowed in the bar area and kids eat free with adult meals. Kid and adult friendly.
The hotel is in a good locations and there is a co-op almost next door and a few other places to eat and look around. There is a large car park and also a bus route available to Callander.
I would recommend the hotel to anyone and will definitely come back again myself.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank holden444

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are all glad glad you enjoyed your stay and the fact that you appreciated how family friendly we are. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Killin Hotel after my wife booked through groupon and i can honestly say we were not disappointed. On arrival we were greeted well, told all the times for breakfast and dinner and were handed the keys to our room. The room was perticularly well set out as a family room and we had plenty of room for the four of us. there was a ample double bed, a single and room for the travel cot aswell. The on-suite was small but perfectly acceptable. The veiw from our room was stunning. There was no noticable road noise. The car park was good and had plenty of space. Our evening meal was fantastic and the waitress was good with our two year old son giving him crayons and paper to draw on to keep him occupied as we waited for our meal. The service recieved was very attentive and we were never without a drink or left waiting to long. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic and our orders were quickly delt with allowing us to get on our way. The drive in and out of Killin is spectacular as is the walk around the sourounding countryside. We tried both roads to the hotel down either side of the loch and the drive was fantastic. I would fully recomend this hotel to any of my friends or family.

Room Tip: pick a higher room to get a better view. Dont worry bout the stairs as there is a lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim S

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you will be recommending us to your friends and family, and of course very pleased that you were made to feel welcome with your two year old son. We agree - the walks around Killin are spectacular.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed here for three days in October and were concerned after reading poor reviews but those reviews did not match those of ours. My wife daughter and dog had a fabulous time in a great hotel in a super location. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was excellent for all of us. We would recommend the Killin Hotel to all our friends and can't wait to go back in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 3 November 2013

There are so many mixed reviews for this hotel but I found our two night stay to be very enjoyable.

The hotel sits in an amazing location, such great views all around the hotel, very picturesque and beautiful.

We were warmly greeted by the lovely staff on reception and check in was quick and efficient. Once we were in our room I realised it didn't over look the river that runs by it so I cheekily asked if we could get another room, the obliged and we were given the king size bed room and the family room. Very generous of them. The room was all we needed, full of charm that you would expect from a hotel over 200 years old.

My only gripe about the room was the size of the shower, it did have plenty hot water and a great force but just a wee bit on the tiny side for me.

The food in the restaurant was top notch. Again great staff serving, very tentative. The food was also fantastic, very hot and tasty! I couldn't recommend the restaurant enough. Very impressed.

Breakfast was lovely too, happy cheery staff serving and nothing was too much trouble for them. Cooked breakfast was served hot and like the evening meals were very tasty. Cereals, porridge, toast, fruits and juice also available, all good quality.

This hotel has very mixed reviews but it is full of character and is not a fully modern hotel but that's not what this hotel states it is. It's full of character with great staff, food, and comfy beds. Try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed. The hotel management should be very proud of their staff and hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davedinburgh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killin
Ardeonaig Hotel
#3 of 14 in Killin
The Courie Inn
The Courie Inn
#2 of 14 in Killin

Been to Killin Hotel? Share your experiences!