“Nice hotel friendly staff would go back”
Review of Killin Hotel

Killin Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Killin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We were at this hotel for a stay for my birthday we got this as a deal through kgb deals value for money.we arrived monday 24th feb 2114 we were in room 46 there was some view the extention blocked it out a bit.The windows didnt open and room very warm but we just put heating down. Food was very good could ave done with a little warmer plenty of it. Staff very friendly. We had a staff issue im our room that we took to the manager which was getting dealt with, the manager was to speak to another member of staff and phone us bk after we arrived home the next day friday as this is only sunday there is still time so a little dissapointed with that as thought with the issue we had should have been dealt with asap . Margo barbour / kenny lindsay

• Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked this hotel through a voucher scheme with some trepidation. We arrived and the friendly staff sorted my wife out with a room she liked. A good start.

We came down to dinner in a busy restaurant. The choices of meals were very good. We ordered and my first course of smoked mackerel surprised me as it was warm but it was very tasty. Our main courses arrived and I have to say they were for us far too big. I had ordered ribeye steak which was cooked as requested to Rare however also on the plate was chips, fried onion rings, fried breaded mushrooms,salad and coleslaw. My son in law would have loved it but the amount actually put me off. My wife had the beef and ale pie which she said was delicious but too much. We skipped pudding and staggered to bed.

Breakfast was OK but I found the coffee which was served from an large container very weak and insipid.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

We stayed in room 27 which had views to the front and to the river. I would recommend this room once they include somewhere to hang clothes like a wardrobe. The mirror in the bathroom was amusing.

It was very obvious that the owners are improving this hotel as all over we could see improvements. The conservatory was a delight and workmen were laying carpets in various places.

I would recommend this hotel as it is only going one way and that is up.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rannoch2
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had booked bed and breakfast for one night with afternoon tea. Found this to be a good stopping point. The hotel had lovely views. The conservatory and bar areas had a nice relaxing and welcoming feel. The room was small but adequate for the price we had paid. Breakfast was also lovely, the only small criticism being our cooked breakfast came as we were helping ourselves to cereals but really just a timing issue. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Killen Hotel recently with our friends and had a lovely time. The main hotel building has that cosy old feeling; lots of wood panelling, old pictures, tartan accents and a roaring open fire in the lounge bar. It had a friendly, rustic, warm feeling and we were given a lovely welcome from the staff.

We stayed in the Annex Rooms which are housed in a separate building just across from the main hotel. This was perfect for us as we had brought our dog with us and these rooms have their own front door which allowed easy access for us and our mucky pup!

Annex Room 1 could do with a little upgrade. The door is very stiff and you really needed to give it a good bang to open and close it. The other annex doors seemed to have the same issue as it was all you could hear when guests were going back and forth. The doors inside were stiff too and scraped off the floor when you opened them. Nothing a little sanding down wouldn't fix! Unfortunately the curtains also wouldn't close (I think they are slightly too short for the window) and the TV had no signal. Not that that was a huge issue as we were out and about most of the time but it was a little annoying. Just don't provide a TV if it's unusable.

The rooms are basic e.g. no iron, ironing board or extra pillows, blankets etc. However the room was large with a sofa and chair and plenty of floor space which again was great for the dog and all of her extra bits and bobs. The shower room looked like it had had a recent upgrade and the shower was powerful and easy to achieve a lovely temperature. Lovely fluffy towels and complimentary toiletries. The underfloor heating was fab and it heated up really quickly.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night as it was their curry night. It was just ok. Not bad, but didn't blow me away. The waitress also let slip that everything had been pre-made so we knew it wasn't fresh. We ate in the restaurant again for breakfast both mornings we were there and it was again just ok. A little cold, no hash browns or potato scones which was a little disappointing. Breakfast was also only served between 8-9.30am even on the Sunday which was a shame. Even half an hour longer would have been nice! Likewise with check-out - half 10 on a Sunday is a bit too early.

Bar was great, cheap prices, good atmosphere, lots of locals, dogs and friendly banter.

Would I return?! Yes! It's really great and the comments I have made are very minor and very easily fixed which would have made our stay perfect.

See you again Killen Hotel!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a 3 night stay a groupon deal, we upgraded to 4 poster room no 46 over the conservatory with a river view, only issue we had was the window would not open as we like to have fresh air we reported it at reception but it was never done. We ate in the restaurant the food was excellent and plentiful as was the breakfasts and the restaurant staff were very helpful as was the staff in the reception and were eager to help if required. We enjoyed the break at this hotel and we will go back again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Not so much dog friendly as dog tolerant. Dog only allowed in bar and we were asked to move from breakfast area. Not told this when booking despite paying supplement for dog. Evening meal was good, breakfast not so good but plentiful. Room appears recently decorated however could have been cleaner and not impressed with decaying skirting boards adjacent to bathroom, obviously a long term problem which has been ignored. Would eat here again but doubt if we will stay again. Plenty better alternatives in the area that do not ask you to pay more for less.

• Stayed: February 2014
Killinl, Manager at Killin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay as without it we cannot imporove.

It is correct that we are pet friendly, we allow pets in the bar area, reception area, lounge and rooms, however due to health and safetly regulations we are not allow to have dogs in main eating areas sorry for any inconvience caused.

The feedback regarding your meal has been passed on to our kitchen team as again without it we cannot imporve our service and quality.

We are currently trying to complete some renovations at the moment while we are somewhat quiet so we hope you give us another chance to show you these changes in the future.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'd stayed in this unique village before--I rented a house 5 or 6 doors up the road from the Inn overlooking the falls for two weeks--and had consumed many a meal and beverage here. So I treated myself to a room with a view. Right on the falls.
I knew this was a good move as soon as I stepped on the heated bathroom floor. My four poster bed had a new and extremely comfortable mattress. (I'm a veteran of the mattress business, and very fussy). Best, the staff treated me like a visiting prince. Curiously, the owner, who had invited me to join him one afternoon at a nearby resort, did not recognize me. But that was fine, he was busy and so was I. I can only say, if you are in Perthshire, and looking for a very comfortable yet highland experience, sit by the fire and peer outside, then inside. Here you are! Near perfect.

Room Tip: overlooking the falls and bridge, a 'front' room