“Ate there a number of times - not out of choice - out of lack of choice!!”

The Goil Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

It's pub grub - no problem with that, but the menu is so unvaried! We were staying in a local cottage which was not up to our expectations so had to eat out more than we had expected to.
Kids menu - pretty good & good value (our daughter really enjoyed the sausage, chips & beans - every time)!

I am pescetarian but prefer to eat totally veggie. There is only 1 veggie dish on the menu (I exclude a cheese sandwich which I don't want to have for an evening meal). Chef - please believe me, your deep-fried gnocchi with cauliflower cheese is unpleasant - please add another choice!! I did ask one night if chef could do something else for me, but was told no as he was on his own & busy (I counted 3 more occupied tables).

As I mentioned - reasonably kids menu but not dessert menu, so you had to pay full price for a full adult sized kids pudding (almost always left because portion size too large - so wasteful).

Signs in the window show they do a breakfast roll service, but my husband & daughter turned up for one but they weren't open!

Almost everything is with chips!! Try a jacket potato or a rice option on the menu.....a restaurant can be basic & easy for a menu, but doesn't need to be so limited.

Yes - nice loch views & bargain 50p pool table (not for use during meal times).

1  Thank Sarah B

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stopped here for lunch on the way back to Stirling and ended up playing "catch" with what we assume was the resident border collie, a very friendly dog indeed. I snapped a few photos of her and this winter drew a scratchboard portrait of her. I wanted to email it to the owners but can't find an email address for the Inn so was happy to see I can upload it here!

2  Thank Peggy E
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We showed up at 14.00 for a meal. We saw they stopped serving at 14.30 on the board outside.
We ordered some drinks which we were served and told food was still on so we took the menus and after 5 mins of looking went back to order to be told no more food kitchens closed.
It was only 14.15 so very disappointed.
If we'd have been told we wouldn't have bought drinks and moved on.
A shame. The place looks nice and has great views.
But if it says 14.30 is cut off time then should serve till then.
Oh well.

2  Thank Unionjack3rd
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had a drive round the area on our holidays and decided to call here on a wet march evening. Went in for a drink originally but sitting in front of the log fire, we decided to eat. The menu was decent in choice, had a typical pub menu but the food was excellent. Very tasty, great portion sizes and great value for money. The services was excellent from the two barmen who did a great job and were so friendly.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

nice menu.good service. child friendly. good views overlooking loch. lovely cullen skink. pig of a place to get too. single track roads but worth the effort.