“Heaven”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Louise W
“Heaven”
Reviewed 21 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

This is a great cottage and a little big for just me really. You are right on waterfront at Loch Goil and I was fortunate to see dolphins, seals, herons, hooded crow etc right from the livingroom.

The whole booking process is just a breeze. and are handed very concise directions and information on the area.

Was greeted by a bit of a overwhelming musty smell on arrival. I found it quite difficult to stomach personally and is probably just because the cottage is not occupied full time. A bit of fabreeze and a good airing out and the place was right as reign. The cottage itself was quite clean and comfy. It is so peaceful and no phone signal on O2 which I particularly liked. It's just the ticket for anyone looking for a complete break from the pressures of everyday life.

There is off road parking but it has a concrete bridge type entrance with roller shutter and unfortunately I couldn't fit my van in the parking space. The cottage instructions tell you to park any vehicles not in the car port down in the village carpark. I wasn't prepared to do that but the surrounding neighbours were very understanding in that I would rather park where my vehicle is overlooked as a security measure and we agreed an acceptable place for me to park.

The cottage is perfectly placed for many walks my favourite being Corran Lochan walk (out of westering and turn rightand follow the road, eventually there is a path that ascends up through the woods, come to a single track road where there are signs for duke pass to Corran Lochan). Many of my walks were a complete wash out but the cottage has an outdoor tap for rinsing muddy clothes & shoes as well as a washing machine. (Don't forget to bring some detergent with you)

The kitchen is very well appointed and I found myself getting into and enjoying cooking again. There is a dishwasher for those who hate washing up. You will need to bring some tablets with you if you wish to use it.

The cottage has a leave it as you found it policy and a leaving checklist which includes emptying bins and stripping beds before vacating the property. This wasn't a problem for me as I'm quite a tidy person and always clean up after myself. I imagine it may not be so easy for families so may be worth bearing that in mind.

Be warned this place is a midge hotspot. Get yourself some Avons skin so soft wash (this seems to repel them to a degree) and some savlon to sooth any bites as they can go quite nasty otherwise. I had a good mix of fair and wet weather and found the midges much worse on damp days but it didn't stop me spending time in the garden trying to capture the wildlife on film.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay and was sad to leave. I cant recommend this place enough.

Management Response
23 Jun 2017
Hello Louise - what a lovely review - all your points are valid. You hit a week of wet weather... the sun can, and does, shine in Argyll. Midges love damp, windless weather, just like it was when you were here. Had the sun come out or wind blew a bit - you might never have seen a midge. Delighted you enjoyed your stay. .
Sharon M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very comfy and beautiful views”
Reviewed 10 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

I stayed here a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with the place. I've been to Loghgoilhead a few times before but staying at the Westering made this a great stay. I really felt that the place was home from the minute I got there. Great kitchen, very comfy living room and the picture window was just amazing - great views no matter what the weather. The main bedroom and the Jack and Jill bathroom were a little dated but were absolutely fine. Beds were comfy too. There was a bit of a damp smell but it didn't stop us having a lovely stay (it probably lessens over the summer with the windows and doors being opened more). Communication was great too with the manager, Leonard, being so helpful. Would definitely stay here again, easily the best location in Lochgoilhead.

Paradise6...
“A perfect break in the nature”
Reviewed 15 January 2017 for a stay in June 2016

We spent 1 week with our 3 children, and this place was perfect for us: local shops are accessible by a short walk, we can start walking directly from the house, several destinations are available.
The house itself was great: the view from the living room is really astonishing ; I spent the whole first evening just watching at it, because we are just over the lake.
We even saw seals playing in the lake, or having some sun on a rock !

The neighbours were also really kind to us, and the place is really quiet as the road is private.
The only negative point is the vacuum cleaner, really too old ;-)

JMcGrady
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect getaway”
Reviewed 13 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

Westering Cottage is situated right on the waterfront in a lovely location of Lochgoilhead.
The cottage has everything you need to make it a home from home. We had a lovely stay, despite the horrendous weather. It's lovely to spend some family time and just enjoy the scenery here. And there's plenty to do in and around Lochgoilhead.
Leonard was very helpful and flexible upon booking and provided any information requested.
A lovely stay...recommended.

Jan D
Massachusetts
“The View Goes on Forever!”
Reviewed 1 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

My husband and I just finished a week at Westering Cottage. Although we aren't people who sit around for long, we found ourselves just staring out the window at the view for long periods of time, watching the gannets, the gray herons, the grey seals, the boats, and the clouds and sunlight changing the look of the mountains across the loch. I wish I was an artist! Photographs just can't do justice to the view. We brought an inflatable kayak with us and enjoyed travelling up and down the loch. We didn't see one other house or cottage that had the viewscape that Westering has! On our first evening we enjoyed glasses of wine out on the patio, and had dinner out there a couple of times. The gardens were overflowing with flowers. The kitchen is very well equipped (with the exception of a coffee press). It has everything one needs to make a great meal. On cloudy days we ate at the kitchen counter so we could stare out at the view some more. The furnishings are perfectly comfortable; the couches are great for a nap in the sunlight that streams in the windows. They are solid and don't sag. The beds are firm and the linens were fresh. We found that it was easy to heat the cottage by closing the living room and kitchen doors and turning on the electric fireplace. The electric fireplace is a bit of a relic, but it works great. The bedroom was easy to heat with the larger portable heater. We were always warm when we needed to be. The rooms are a little musty, but the owner was in the process of addressing that while we were there. It helps to open the bathroom window to let out the steam after a shower. There is a washer, but no dryer; but there is a large drying rack. Westering makes a great base for visiting other places in Argyll. Be sure to stop at Loch Fine Oyster Bar and take advantage of their deli with wonderful fresh bread, meat, fish, etc! Leonard Gow has put together a wonderful visitor's guide that guests should look through. We found a wonderful restaurant in Arrochar where we had lunch outside on Long Loch (The Village Inn); we only knew about it because of his guide. Leonard was very helpful with all of our arrangements.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view and location
Liked least: It needed an airing out.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
MarionM40...
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage”
Reviewed 30 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

I booked this cottage for some friends recently. I think the view from the lounge is the best I have ever seen - it is simply breath taking to the extent that you could sit and stare at it for hours. The fittings of the cottage are not completely up to date, but there is nothing actually wrong with them and it is very warm and comfortable.

Highly recommended.

Travelling group: Friends
traceyoz
Dundee, United Kingdom
“let down”
Reviewed 8 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015

My husband and I have just returned from a long weekend at this cottage . first of all the location is stunning and from the outside the place looks lovely but as soon as we entered we were hit with the strong smell of damp and plug in air freshener that is trying to mask the smell. The home itself is very run down and dirty and in need of an upgrade all the furniture is from the late 60s and falling apart. The only good thing about this house was the view and also this is not a COTTAGE it is a rather large portacabin which is extremely cold only 3 plug in heaters to heat the whole place . We were very disappointed with this place as the photos looked nice but to be honest I would not recommend this place we came home with all our belongings smelling of dampness.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the view
Liked least: the whole place
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
9 May 2015
Ouch - that hurts... I respect your right to post a review and thank you for being fair and pointing out the thing you liked about Westering: the great location. A bit harsh calling it a portacabin especially when you can see the building from the exterior pictures in the gallery. The lounge area has so much window space, designed to take in the view, that granted it can be cold in the morning until the light hits that room - that is why there are heaters. The furniture is to the owners taste. Again, all in the pictures. Regards: Leonard Gow, Lochgoilhead Holidays
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing