“Birthday celebration in a fantastic setting with breathtaking scenery” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lodge on Loch Lomond

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Birthday celebration in a fantastic setting with breathtaking scenery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We booked 5 rooms for a big birthday celebration. Check in was quick and efficient. The rooms all had a sauna and balcony with stunning views across Loch Lomond. The family rooms had a sofa bed and travel cot as requested. The swimming pool was excellent and used by the majority of our party. Dinner was in the conservatory and a table for 11 was ready at the requested time. The service was efficient and excellent. All staff were extremely friendly, polite and courteous. A couple of the main courses were not very hot but this was dealt with efficiently and an apology was received. On the whole the food was excellent - the breakfast choice was amazing. The surrounding scenery is spectacular hence this hotel is an excellent choice. A short walk along the shore into the village of Luss is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Corbett room- amazing!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
A happy belated birthday from us all at the Lodge and I was delighted to read your superb review of your recent stay with us. My team work extremely hard to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable and memorable experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge.
Kind regards
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We were well looked after from the moment we set foot through the door to the moment we left! We were given a cheery & efficient welcome at reception before heading through to our lovely bedrooms.

The rooms were a good size & I loved the two person saunas. The teddy bears were a nice touch too. Most importantly, the beds were super-comfy and thanks to the quiet location & black out curtains, I slept for 9 hours solid on the first night (which is unheard of for me!) and woke up not having a clue where I was!

On the first day we visited the pool & spa which was clean and was the perfect relaxant after a long(ish) journey!

Dinner in the restaurant was brilliant both nights....I had the lamb on the first night which was delicious & perfectly cooked although after tasting my friends pork belly, I had decided on my meal choice for the second night! The service was relaxed & friendly and the staff were happy to make recommendations from the menu. On the first night we went for a walk after our main courses and returned for dessert & hot drinks by the fire before retreating to our beds! The sticky toffee pudding is the best that I have tasted but the portion is huge so I'd recommend sharing unless you have a huge appetite!

Breakfast was great too, I would definitely recommend trying the black pudding.

We were sad to leave but we look forward to returning next year! Thanks so much to Nigel & the team, other 4* hotels could learn a lot from you.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LouiseCharlton
Thank you for such a fabulous review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Lodge. I have to agree with you regarding the pork belly as it is my favourite too.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards
Nigel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here last night .... Dinner, Bed & Breakfast, ( Birthday Surprise for my Fiancee )
Lovely Lodge within a Great setting with Fantastic Views and Breathtaking Scenery.

Our Room ( The Deluxe Corbett ) was Amazing ! complete with a Sauna, and Balcony overlooking the Loch... the Sunset & Sunrise were Awesome !!

All in all .... a truly wonderful day & night was had !! We started with a few drinks in the Lounge, overlooking the peaceful Loch, it was a lovely setting ! One could say Romantic !!! then it was back to our room for a sauna ! before Dinner .... ( Which we were looking forward to .... )

We opted for The Main Course & Dessert ! We both went for the Lamb ... as described on the Menu as Twice cooked !! with Tapenade Mash, Tomato Fondue & Pepper Dressing .... and after a 40 minute wait, our main course finally came to the table. ( The Lamb was still breathing .. Never mind cooked twice !!!! ) & The Mash was Cold, ( Although the plate was hot .... ) after I asked for mine to be taken away to be cooked !!! a little more, My Fiancee ( not one to make a fuss ... ) carried on eating, ( and just for the record ... it takes a lot for me to complain !! ) after 10 or so minutes later it arrived back on the table ! the mash was piping hot ! but unfortunately as for, my poor excuse of Lamb ! it didn't look much better ... ( but by this time I wasn't going to let it get the better of me ... ) Our Main Course was Very Disappointing !! ( Should have gone for the Fish... ) Thankfully the Desserts saved the Day !!!!!! Truly wonderful ..... So here's a wee message to the Chef ..... thanks for spoiling such a perfect day.

Please note ..... All the Staff were very helpful, pleasant and courteous.... and we will return one day !!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My partner and i stayed here last weekend and i have to say it was the worst experience i have ever had. The hotel is so dated and even the new parts of the hotel look tatty. The main part of the hotel looks like it hasnt been decorated since it was opened. The rooms are very dated and full of spiders how the housekeepers missed them when cleaning i will never know. The pool was freezing and i was told by one of the housekeepers that the temperature of the pool is turned down in the winter to save money. The restaurant forget about it very few staff running about not really managing to serve anyone. Food average too poor and very expensive for what you get. Service in the lounge was non existent and even the bar was unattended for most of the evening as the person behind the bar seemed to be serving in the restaurant as well. Dont waste your money staying here much better places in the area.

Room Tip: Dont stay here go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Dorothy A
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Our yearly visit to Loch Lomond was a particularly memorable one this year - Lodge on Loch Lomond has as ever met and surpassed our very high expectations.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome and that we would be looked after very well - the staff are the best in the area.

Our room over looked the Loch and was beautifully presented - the little teddy bears are a lovely touch and always make me smile!

We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night where Chantelle and the rest of the team ensured we had a fantastic evening - the food was delicious - truly no fault could be found.

After a restful nights sleep - we woke up to the magnificent site of the sunrising over the Loch (I know this can't be guaranteed, I just had to mention it!) and got to further enjoy the ever changing view as we sat at the window table to enjoy a yummy breakfast. Chantelle was there to greet us in the morning at breakfast - still smiling and very attentive.

We had planned to eat at the Inverbeg (sister hotel about 6miles away) on our second night - but our evening Loch adventure ran on a little late and we were running out of time. A quick call to the team at the Lodge who were very happy to take a pre-order for our dinner and then still kind enough to offer desserts and coffee even though we were way past last orders in the kitchen - again the team going above and beyond.

I think it is really important to add to my review that having worked in hospitality for over 14 years that I am always less critical of things that are harder to change about a place or things that just don't meet my personal tastes - but when it comes to the real heart of the hotel, the staff and the way they make you feel I will always be critical and have extremely high expectations. With the team at Lodge on Loch Lomond - I was very happy and they were great. Friendly, Welcoming, Attentive, Extra mile, Caring.... Are a few of the words that spring to mind.

Back in Edinburgh now - feeling very relaxed and rejuvenated after our stay at the Lodge - thank you to all the team.

Oh and its 362 sleeps till I go back - but who's counting!! :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leisa T
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

my partner and I have stayed at the lodge with our family about eight times,come rain or snow and always had a perfect time however we returned on the 6th of nov to meet friends and we had a great time until the meal arrived, starters were shocking, I ask for my steak to be medium rare, it had barely hit the pan, veg was cold. The lodge was and still lovely but needs a wee touch off paint, also don't think the staff should have to call visitors SIR and MADAM. over all this hotel should be a 3*. next time we visit Loch Lomond we will try Duck Bay

Room Tip: Corbett rooms are best with sauna and loch view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank keith m
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Really nice location, nice rooms and very nice food. The restaurant was very busy but Eilidh (our waitress) was exceptional. The service we received was prompt and courteous. Eilidh was wonderful, working very hard and always with a smile on her face. Well done!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!