“Tired and disappointing”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in room 53. At check in we were quite taken aback at the lacklustre welcome - no info about services available at all, just "your room is in the other block". We decided to have an early evening light bar meal just before 6pm, however there was only 1 menu - the restaurant one; this was quite game biased & heavy. We opted for 2 starters each & with one pint cost £34.
I would recommend going the short trip down the road to the Loch Lomond Arms hotel in Luss. A far warmer welcome, great service & lovely meal.
The next day I asked if I could book a massage only to be told they didn't offer anything like that - yet they call it a spa and it's allegedly a 4 star hotel. It does have a pool but I was really disappointed in the lack of therapies or treatments..
The room was a bit tired looking & smelled as though a previous guest had thrown up in it. On the surface it looked clean but the smell lingered.
On a plus, they do allow pets, and the location is stunning - they are the only 2 plus points I can say about this hotel.

2  Thank Lesley W
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your review and I was really disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent visit to the Lodge.Constructive feedback is vital to us as it assists in improving the offering to all our guests and your comments are taken seriously.I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that we fell short of your expectations.
Nigel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,665)

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Visited 11 th November and was a little wary after reading a few reviews . Booked using a 5pm voucher after a busy few weeks recovering from our daughters wedding.
Pleasantly Greeted by the general manager on arrival with a cheery welcome and quick and efficient booking in by lovely girl on reception. My husband and i were booked in the Corbett room for an evening dbb after checking in our room and a wander round hotel we decided take chance and girl reception booked us another night through 5 pm deal .
Dinner was lovely on both nights and the lounge had a lovely peaceful atmosphere for relaxing in the evening.
Views from room and lodge were stunning.
My husband had a great chat regarding reviews we had read with the general manager and was going to purchase a bear at reception the manager kindly gave my husband one with compliments of the hotel and wished us a pleasant stay . This was lovely gesture and most appreciated .
We will definately keep an eye ot for offers at the lodge after Christmas and will definately have return visit x
Thank you to the lovely staff for making our few days a great time away x

• Stayed: November 2013

What a great review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.My team are constantly striving to deliver first class hospitality to all our guests and create a memorable experience. I have relayed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great location right on Loch Lomond,superb views , we arrived on Friday and were checked in promptly and efficiently . Room 62 with us obstructed view over the loch , large and cosy with full height windows & balcony . Booked dinner for 9 pm as that was the only time left, food and service were very good although as they were very busy ,a bit slow (enjoy the wine ) breakfast had a window seat overlooking the loch (lovely view) plenty of choice to suit all tastes , would defo go back

Room Tip: Get a room with a loch view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

A lovely review and delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We went for a wee overnight at the beginning of this week.
I must admit that having read some recent reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about it.
Maybe it wasn't as good as I'd heard?

All I can say is, maybe they were having a bad week or something.
We were in a Corbett room - with a Sauna and a balcony looking onto the Loch.
It was lovely, really nice wood interior.
We went for a swim in the afternoon - great facilities.

We had booked dinner in the evening. Some people might not appreciate small servings, but we had the flatbread (it's tiny, but very tasty) and we both had the crispy pork belly. I'm glad we ordered a side with our main, it was absolutely delicious, but not massive servings. It arrived in good time, no delays or anything. Some people at the next table had a problem with their order, they sounded a bit cross, but the girl was polite and apologetic.
The breakfast the next day was awesome.
I wish we could have stayed longer, it was a perfect trip away.
I wouldn't let some poor reviews put you off such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Get a Corbett! They are exceptional.
1  Thank Jill S

Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor and I am delighted that you had a pleasant and enjoyable experience on your recent stay at the Lodge. You are right about the reviews and we did go through an unusual patch in regards to our service and as a result we have a new and dynamic service team in place so we should not encounter any further problems. Once again thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception here 6 years ago. Unfortunately we are no longer just down the road so it's been a while since we have been back. We stopped in today for lunch however and are thoroughly grateful that we did. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and we were shown to a table by the window with an incredible view over the loch. We were only after a light bite so went for the curried cauliflower soup. It was beautifully presented and delicious. The carrot cake and coffee in the lounge area finished it off perfectly. A rare sight also to have such a noticeable presence of management. Highly recommended, we will definitely be coming back for a stay in the near future. Many thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel.It is encouraging that you have made such positive comments regarding the service you received as we now have a new structure and team in place within our restaurant and lounge which came about as a result of previous reviews and guest comments. Next time you are passing please call in again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here recently for an overnight and absolutely loved it! The room was lovely with a great view of the loch right outside our window. The only slight suprise was that the bathroom wasnt actually in a seperate room (the toilet was though) - it was part of the bedroom. There was a shower screen though and the head board on the bed is high enough to give a bit of privacy.
Dinner was really lovely in the hotel restaurant and the place had a nice atmosphere too.
The spa was great... the whirlpool was brilliant :)
The room was booked via 5pm.com so that made it even better value for money!
Would definently recommend a stay here... was a lovely little get away!
Didnt make it up for breakfast so cant comment on that unfortunately.

1  Thank Beezer83
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

I am so pleased you had an enjoyable weekend with us and that you found everything to your satisfaction. My team were delighted to read your encouraging comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Booked as a wee surprise on 5pm, and can only say that after looking up longingly from the beach at Luss on family days out, it didn't disappoint. Room was lovely and modern.Spotless.Pool and sauna really good..(strange bit of floor in the changing area foyer though). Food excellent also...we each had the steaks which were cooked to perfection. Breakfast was fab...no skimping on anything....drink prices weren't too overboard, as compared with other similar places...All in all an excellent place, and throughly enjoyed our day/night..can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Tennents4me

Thank so much for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Lodge and found everything to your satisfaction.
Nigel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Inveraray

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!