“Lovely location, tired hotel”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Lovely location, tired hotel”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we got a dinner, bed and breakfast deal online for a reduced rate. The location is incredible with some lovely views. The dinner included was really tasty and well cooked although the menu price is quite expensive (£30 for 3 courses). I'd highly recommend the Malibu and pineapple sponge.
We stayed the modern part of the hotel, the room was a good size although it could do with a bit of updating, there was 2 big ink stains on the carpet and the wallpaper was torn.
There is also a spa in the hotel which was just next to the room, the laconium and sauna were lovely however the steam room smelt horrible and we ended up not using it. The floors in the spa area also needed updating as they sagged as you walked across them.

All in all I felt the hotel was not really 4 star material, but with of refurbishment it certainly could be. If you can get a good deal for this hotel I would take it, but I wouldn't pay full price to stay there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit with us. I note your comments regarding the steam room floor and would apologise for this and inform you that this was replaced last week.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at in the Executive Munros, the building is situated to the right of the main hotel, the pool and spa is here too. The room was really amazing, we had a balcony to enjoy the great views over Loch Lomond. The bathroom is in the main room behind a partition, the bath had a option to set how you wanted your bath (cool, warm and hot - half full or full.. Cool gadget) there was 2 big leather chairs to sit on and the tv had an option to watch films pay per view (£6). We took advantage of the mini bar cause the prices were quite reasonable, £3 for a beer etc. We booked with a 5pm.co.uk voucher so the hotel was fully booked at the time, the bar area is nice and has a good atmosphere, we were served at our table but once it was really busy we kind of got forgot about. Our table wasn't ready and we had to ask a few times for it ( even though we were asked many times earlier on what time is your table booked at) we got seated 45 mins late at 9pm (starved) the waiter (looked like restaurant manager) made a joke to show he knew they weren't doing well due to busyness. The food was nice, deserts were great. We were there as 2 couples and 2 rooms and they didn't check EVER what took to charge to (found this to be a bit awkward, how do you tell the other couple hey you owe me money) even though we never signed anything and the other couple did, they still charged most of the food and drinks to our room.

The hotel rooms are great, the bar is really nice, the food was quite good, the spa pool etc looked wonderful. The beach at the front is lovely. The breakfast was buffet style and was quite good too. The only problem is they couldn't cope with the demand of the full hotel because of the recent voucher deal.

I would recommend this hotel but would book dinner earlier rather than later, the service was great when less people around.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveller_eon
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your reviews on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Lodge. I was sorry to read that we let ourselves down at dinner service and accept that there are lessons to be learned and your comments have been taken constructively.
Wishing you all the compliments of the season.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night last week on a 5pm.co.uk deal for one night's dinner, bed & breakfast.

We paid £20 extra to upgrade to a corbett room which gave us a balcony with an amazing view over Loch Lomond and also a private sauna in the room itself.

On arrival we were told that the changing rooms, steam room and sauna in the spa were being worked on and were not available, however we could still use the pool and the jacuzzi and that two guest rooms had been provided for changing in. This was really disappointing for us as the spa facilities were one of our main reasons for booking this hotel.

After getting settled in we went over and had a look with the intention of using the pool and jacuzzi but the pool was quite small and very busy and the changing rooms were communal so you just had to leave your things lying beside everyone else's which we didn't fancy doing.

We do obviously appreciate that work has to be done on the facilities from time to time so it was just bad timing for us that the work was being carried out during our visit.

The Lodge itself is a very traditional Scottish looking establishment with decor to match. Our corbett room (No. 33) was very nice and had everything we needed to hand although there weren't any tea and coffee making things which was unusual.

We found the beds to be quite hard although this is obviously subjective and some people do prefer a hard bed.

We had a two course dinner as part of our package and we both thought that the restaurant was very nicely decorated. The adjacent bar area is also very nice and we had a drink in here before our dinner.

We opted for a main course and a dessert each. I went for the special which was a prawn, scallop and chorizo risotto and my wife, who is vegetarian, went for the parsley risotto.

We had to send my wife's meal back as some of it was undercooked and they also took my meal away as well and cooked us both a fresh main course which we thought was very good service.

I really enjoyed my meal, especially the prawns which were delicious (even though there was only two of them on the plate) along with three scallops and some very thinly sliced chorizo.

My wife didn't really enjoy her meal as much as I did, she said it was decent enough but somewhat lacking in flavour. A risotto seems to be the standard vegetarian option on a very high percentage of restaurant menus - I do wish restaurants would offer a better variety in this respect.

For dessert we had a chocolate and hazelnut brownie and a cheese plate and both were delicious and we also shared a bottle of unoaked chardonnay with our meal which was quite tasty and quite reasonably priced at £19.50.

Breakfast was served in the same restaurant we had our evening meal in and it was all of a very good quality. It's served buffet style but there is also an additional menu that you can order various other dishes off of for a supplement.

All in all we would recommend this hotel and we did enjoy our stay on the whole.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and I was pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay with us and would return to the Lodge. I would apologise for the fact that certain facilities in our leisure area were unavailable at the time of your visit due to essential maintenance. The other points raised in your review have been discussed with our Food and Beverage Team and have been taken as constructive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Could have been so much better. Everything is in place for this to have been a lovely romantic midweek break. Terribly slow service from the bar ( left on my own for nearly 20 mins at 7.30 unserved) Entire starter eaten before our pre ordered drinks arrived at the table wasnt up to par.
Room very sad and tired with trims missing, ( including the fitted door of our fridge although we were asked by and an obvious lack of attention to detail including the bar code still on the bead at roof level of our bedroom. Final insult was the £4.95 suppliment for a steak if we were "voucher" clients. This on top of a £ 21.50 tarrif for said steak. Left entirely underwhelmed. As I said
What a shame.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first, there must have better than we got !
2 Thank KenLaird1961
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and would apologise if all was not to your satisfactio.I have checked the Managers log and am unable to see any recorded comments of a negative nature regarding service during the last two weeks.There is always a duty manager who is there to take on board guest comments and can always assist.I am sure you can nappreciate that it is difficult to deal with a complaint if it is not made at the time.
Your comments are appreciated.
Cumbernauld, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay and were very impressed. The food was fantastic and the view from the room breathtaking, especially at sunset and dawn. The bed was a little hard for my taste but this is really nit-picking as the hotel overall was exceptionally good. Staff were so helpful and the level of cleanliness throughout the hotel was very high. If you are looking for a romantic get away then look no further, from the log fires to the sauna in the bedroom, you won't get much better. We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Lodge and am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit.It is always very gratifying to receive feedback from our guests and to know that my team and I are getting it right.
Kilbarchan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Have just returned from an overnight stay with my elderly mum . This time we were in a Munro Room on the top floor with fantastic views from the room and balcony .

The 5pm deal we had included breakfast and dinner , the choice for breakfast is excellent and also good selection for dinner too and the staff in the restaurant were lovely as were all staf we encountered. My mum is looking forward to her next stay and said to make sure I have a note of the room number as she wants to go back again in the New Year so as Arnie says " I'll be back " !

Thanks again for an enjoyable stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Lodge and found everything to your satisfaction.I have passed your comments on to my team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The lodge on the loch in one of its corbett rooms, the room was excellent couldn't fault it atall and the view was outstanding. Dinner was really good...the only down side about our stay was the service at breakfast I had to ask 3 times to receive a pot of tea! But overall one of the best stays I've had and would highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NigelEB, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Delighted that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.We are extremely proud of the Lodge and the unique experience it offers to our guests.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!