Lodge on Loch Lomond
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel(Luss)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$105
US$99
US$86
US$81
Travelodge Helensburgh Seafront(Helensburgh)(Great Value!)
US$68
Loch Long Hotel(Arrochar)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,727 results
All reviewscorbett roomcarter suitemunro roomsafternoon teaprivate saunaloch lomondgraham roomsteam roomexecutive munroopen planspa facilitiesstunning viewsa bit tiredsteakrestaurant stafflounge areamy partner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went here last week as part of a "mini-moon" after our wedding. We went with the Lodge because of the 4 star reviews and what looked like fantastic views however we left the hotel after our 3 days disappointed.

The room: we booked an Executive Munro and asked for a view of the Loch. As requested we got a room on the top floor of that particular block of the hotel over looking the loch.The view of the loch in undeniably fantastic, it just can't be beaten in this country. The view is tarnished a little by the fact the room also overlooks the car park and during our stay a big red skip being used by contractors doing some work at the hotel.

The set up of the room is a little odd. Bed, TV, small leather suite all in the same room as the bath/shower and sink. The toilet is in a seperate room but it doesn't have a sink in the same room so be sure you take either wipes or hand sanitiser. The bath and shower has a control panel rather than taps. You can only choose from 3 options for the temprature for the water: Hot, Warm or Cool. Being limited to 3 tempratures is not exactly luxury. The shower is obviously timed so if you want a shower longer than just a few minutes you have to keep putting it on again. To fill the bath you choose from another 3 options: quarter full, half full, full. I had to press the "full" button 4 or 5 times before the bath was full.

Perhaps other rooms are better but in room 62 the fittings in the bath were loose with rust stains dripping down from them. I don't know it was mould or just dust but the air filter in the shower but it could do with a real clean. The wood panelling on the side of the bath was also broken.

On our first day there the room was serviced with no problem. On our second day it was serviced but not to a very high standard. The kettle, cups and saucers were packed away but we had left them out because they needed washed. The cups and saucers were packed away still dirty with tea stains and crumbs from the complementary biscuits we ate. Our sink was not washed either.

As already mentioned there was work going on in the hotel and unfortunately the noise was an unwelcome wake-up call at 8.30am (I realise that's not that early, but on holiday I'm looking to relax and get up when I want). I realise the work needs done but at a hotel it can either wait until later in the day, or you don't place guests in rooms close to the work. The window cleaners also provided an early morning wake up call. Again why can't this wait?

One morning the electricity in our room also went out.

The restaurant: We went for dinner only on our first evening at the hotel. On arrival reception asked if we wanted to book for dinner. We said we did and thought we would simply book a time right there. But instead I was simply directed to the restaurant myself. In the restaurant I stood for a few minutes waiting to be seen. A couple of members of staff walked by (in fairness they looked more like kitchen staff) and no one said anything. When I was seen by the gentlement taking bookings he did not apologise for the wait, not even "sorry I didn't see you there."

When arriving for dinner we were invited to take a seat at the bar area while we chose from the menu. We took up a table near the attractive fire. The table unfortunately had not been cleaned properly from the last service as there was bits from bread left on the table. We chose from what I think can be fairly described as a limited menu. The food was OK. It wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing either.

Breakfast was usually a pleasant experience. A good selection of cooked items and pastries etc. One morning the aforementioned window cleaners were at work. This hotel is all about the view and with limited breakfast serving times I don't understand why the window cleaners had to be at work while eating breakfast. This includes them doing the inside of the windows of the restaurant while we were all eating. Again, as this hotel is all about the view, on our last day we came for breakfast the waitress placed at a table away from the window despite other tables being available.

We used the pool a few times it was decent enough. We didn't spend a large amount of time in the spa but the steam room was broken for our entire stay.

Checking out was painless but it would be nice if the receptionist told me about the additional donations to charity I was making in my pre-printed bill. It was only £1 per night so I didn't mind but at least tell me what it is.

In summary based on this experience, this hotel does not provide a 4-star room or service. It is not an awful hotel and I was torn between making this review a 2 or 3 star. 3 stars may be more appropriate but because the claim is 4 stars and the prices to go along with that, I can't go above 2. I did write to the hotel to express my disappointment and highlighted the issues I have described above but I have received no response.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TimAr2014
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

I was disappointed to read your review and about the problems you encountered during your recent stay with us,this is by no means our usual standards of service and I have asked for a full investigation into your comments.Your letter has been received and is currently being dealt with and you will receive a response.Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We were married here in 2009 and had a perfect day! We try to return as often as possible as it's our favourite place to spend time together (especially now we have two kids!) So relaxing from the leisure facilities to dining in the restaurant. We love sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view! Staff great and accommodation lovely. Can't wait for our stay on the 25th February! X

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thenmckees
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.I am pleased to hear that the Lodge is such a special place for you and I look forward to welcoming you on the 25th February.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have been meaning to write a review since we left as we had such a lovely stay here. The hotel was warm and friendly. We had a really lovely room which was right on the Loch with amazing views. The staff were very friendly and helpful, giving us great ideas of places to visit as we had never been before. The staff in the restaurant were fantastic, really attentive and friendly. The breakfast was lovely and the evening meal we had was gorgeous. We celebrated our anniversary there and they put a bottle of prosecco in our room and a card and there was champagne waiting at the bar before dinner. Will definitely return and would recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clare W
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

A wonderful review and I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable experience with us at the Lodge.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back.Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The Lodge on Loch Lomond is simply the best, from the moment we arrived to check out after 5 nights in in sheer luxury we didn't want to leave. Waking up each morning to what has to be the best view from any hotel room around. The food was excellent the chef even did haggis on our last night even though it was not on the menu what service.
The staff could not do enough for us. It always seemed that it was a pleasure to serve.
One last thing but the most important to us was the manager Mr Nigel Bird my faith in human nature was restored by this man, there are still some good people on this planet and they don't come any better than Nigel.

Room Tip: Chose one of the rooms overlooking theLoch with a sauna.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johngill4418
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable 5 day stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I don't usually write a bad review but I really don't know where to start with this.We are planning our wedding and this was on the list of possible venues as my fiancée and I would love to get married at Loch lomond. So we booked the hotel so we could get a feel for the place and see if it was suitable.

We arrived at the hotel where we were met by a lovely lady in the reception who was polite and helpful. I booked an executive room, which according to the pictures on the website was stylish and modern with views of the loch. We got our room key at told the room was in the separate building across the car park. We were told about dinner availability and breakfast times etc.
We parked the car and went into the building. My fiancée was looking perplexed as the loch view was getting further away.
We eventually found the room which was was badly sign posted. The view of the loch turned out to be a view of the car park as you can see from the pictures.
The room was sub standard compared to the image that the hotel was trying to project. the toilet and the bath/shower/sink are in separate rooms ( not hygienic!!!!), tiles were really dirty , the room obviously used to be the beauty rooms of the hotel as the signs were still visible on the doors. the bed sheets had holes in them, the room smelt of damp and we couldn't open the curtains as the windows not only looked out onto the car park but the entrance to the building every person coming in and out of the building could get a prime view of our room ( and probably have a laugh to themselves that we were the mugs who got landed with it! ) and we constantly heard the clatter of the entrance door banging( this went on till the early hours ) so my fiancee was utterly disappointed. I called reception to try and get a balcony room like it advertised on the website. in which the receptionist was dry and told me that i had to specify this on the booking and that the hotel was full so theres nothing she can do. she was very abrupt and rude. But when you go onto booking.com to book it the text tells you that the executive room has a balcony with view of the loch. Hence why I chose this over the other room types.
At that point we decided to check out all the reviews on trip advisor and decided that we would not be giving another penny to this hostel so we headed to The Loch Lomond Arms for dinner. Im so glad we did!!!!! What a beautiful meal and first class customer service!!!!!!!!
We didn't even bother having breakfast the next morning as we just wanted to leave. We returned the key card and while I was waiting for the account to be closed there was a queue of disappointed guests querying items on their bill they had not requested and complaining about lack of service at the restaurant along with the general standard of the rooms.
All in all a very disappointing experience, this location has firmly been crossed off of our list of wedding venues. If you are looking for a classy hotel for a relaxing break with views of loch lomond don't bother looking at this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank boblfc
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor, I was most concerned to read your comments and would welcome the opportunity to reply to your comments directly with you.I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly on nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk. I look forward to hearing from you.