“Ripped Off” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Ripped Off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked an overnight here through 5pm.com - £99 for dinner bed and breakfast. We thought we were getting a good deal but we were really disappointed.
On arrival, our checkin details weren't prepared and they couldn't find our booking. We were asked to wait and I had to try scroll through old emails on my mobile trying to find a confirmation. Eventually they found it.

We checked into our room which was very small, but clean and had a nice view of the loch.
On going into the bar area for a drink, the table was covered with food/drink from the previous guests' lunch. The bar man removed the glasses and plates etc but made no atempt to clean the scraps of food and sauce that was on the table.

The service was really slow and they encouraged us not to pay cash but to open a tab - BIG MISTAKE!
Our evening meal was slow service again. Food was average. We received a menu stating 3 course set menu. A few items were marked as having to pay an additonal small charge (as you would expect for steak etc) so we assumed the 3 courses were part of our 5pm deal and ordered accordingly. We also ordered a bottle of the house red.

At breakfast, the selection of food was fine, but the plates had dried food stuck to the bottom! Both my husband and i picked up a plate from the stack at the buffet and both had food encrusted on the bottom.

Upon checkout, we were faced with a very large bill of over £160. This included the charge for our 5pm deal which they hadn't taken off. The remaining £60+ was our drinks and also our desserts from the night before. We queried why we were charged for one of the courses on the set menu and were advised the deal only covered 2 courses. I was also surprised to see they charged us 2 x 250ml glasses + 1 x 175ml glasses of red wine, as opposed to a bottle of the house red. We ordered a bottle because buying by the bottle usually works out a good bit cheaper...

We are still convinced we have been overcharged by at least £15 for drinks. We can remember exactly we drunk and it didnt tally with our bill. On asking for a breakdown there was no detailed breakdown of each order, just a bill showing the amount - not what it was for.
The queue to check out was long and there were another older couple seemingly shocked at their bill too. So we just squared the bill and left.
It's not a lot of money to be overcharged, but all the way home it left us with a bad taste in our mouths - we felt totally RIPPED OFF!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laura W
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for your review and I was most surprised to read your comments,with over 700 guests per week staying with us this is the first review I have received of this nature.I would be most grateful if you could email me on nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk so I can look further into the issues raised.I look forward to hearing from you.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Hebrew first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

My sisters and I were treated to an overnight stay with dinner bed & breakfast AND afternoon tea! To say we were spoiled would be an understatement....It was first class service the minute we stepped inside the reception and the customer service we received from the General Manager Nigel was outstanding and all the rest of the staff were very courteous and friendly. Very good start to a very nice weekend! The Lodge we stayed in was clean comfortable and had gorgeous views across the Loch. The three course meal we had was also very tasty and cannot be faulted.
The whole experience was excellent and cannot wait to go back. A big thank you to Nigel and the staff at Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel for giving my sisters and I a fabulous mini break.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
What an amazing review and thank you so much for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor,I was delighted to read your comments and that you had enjoyed your stay with us.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our first year anniversary and loved it.

The service was great, on arrival I was taken to meet the hotel manager and chef to discuss what I was going to have for dinner as I had called up 2 days previous as I could not see a veggie option when searching the online menu. I told them I could only have halal chicken, so the ordered me some in. Fabulous service and meant we weren't restricted to what we could have. The chicken was great as was the breakfast in the morning. Very freindly staff and the room and surroundings were great.

Highly recommend and if you have any special dietary requirements, call before hand and I'm sure the will do all they can to accommodate. I was very impressed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Great review and thank you for your review on Trip Advisor,my team pride themselves on delivering first class hospitality and will be delighted with your comments.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

my partner and I enjoyed an overnight stay here on a 5pm deal and we were not disappointed. .we upgraded to one of the corbett rooms with sauna but even better the balcony and view was stunning. the weather wasn't very nice but it didn't spoil it. we used the leisure facilities which were great, and very relaxing. dinner was so good although starters were really small so we ended up having a main and dessert too lol. cant complain the chefs special seabass and potatoes was so tasty I cleared my plate. my partner had the steak which he loved too. had a few drinks in the bar not too overpriced considering. breakfast was fab too. will definitely be back hopefully in the summer when weather bit better and we've also recommended to family and friends too x

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Wow!!What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.Our mission statement is "To constantly deliver unbeatable hospitality,service and guest experience"and from your feedback we are achieving this.My team are delighted that you had such a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Great venue and location no matter what the weather. Business facilites were excellent as were the buffet lunch and dinner . More than enough for our group and the service was professional and spot on.

Room Tip: Absolutely got to be on the edge of the loch in the main hotel building for me.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
A stunning review and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Recently stayed for 2 nights, in a Corbett room with balcony overlooking the loch. Room was very clean and comfortable. It’s a shame the weather wasn’t too nice for us, because I can imagine how lovely it must be sitting on the balcony in the summer. The sauna was a nice feature and didn’t take long to warm up. We found the lounge bar stylish and relaxing, again a nice place to sit watching life on the loch. We had booked an evening meal package, and the 3 course evening meal was cooked perfectly. There was a decent choice with a daily special. The breakfast choices again were excellent and all served with tables overlooking the loch. All staff were friendly and efficient. Overall we had a lovely stay, and would definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a first floor Corbett room, the views are beautifull.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
What a fabulous review and thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor.I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable experience with us and found our services to your satisfaction.i look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Treated my husband to an overnight stay for his birthday (on a 5pm deal). We upgraded to a deluxe Corbett room, with its own private sauna and balcony overlooking the loch.

We arrived around 5pm and found that the restaurant was already almost fully booked - so we had to eat at 6.15. However. this had the advantage that we got a great table and super loch view before the light faded. We had a a lovely meal. I had steak and chips and husband had fish with ice cream to follow.

The service was excellent and we finished the meal with coffee in the lounge area.

In the morning, husband had the full cooked breakfast and I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg from the buffet. Service again was excellent.

We ordered a morning paper. which didn't arrive so the hotel reception gave us a free paper and knocked the cost off the bill.

We didn't check out the the pool and leisure facilities, deciding instead to have a wander around Luss and a bit of shopping before we headed home.

I'd definitely go again. It was a great relaxing break.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
What a fabulous review and I am delighted that you had such a relaxing stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.My team will be encouraged by your positive feedback.Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!