We booked a night here on our way up to the North of Scotland, and booked one of the superior rooms so paid slightly more. I booked for us and our two very small children aged 1 and 3, which I gave details of in the booking process. I was a bit surprised that when confirmation came through there was at no point any indication of what bedding would be available for said children (usually when we stay anywhere they specify that there will be a cot, or a fold away bed etc) so I called the week before to ask, they sounded surprised that there were children even though they were clearly detailed on the booking, and said that we could have a sofa bed set up and a camp bed set up in the room.
We had a really long journey and arrived at about 5.30pm, got to the room and couldn't see any beds but apparently they keep them folded up with the bedding inside them to save space. The room was OK, have to say the decor was a bit tired e.g. broken slats in the blinds etc, but on the whole was fine. The car park was absolutely heaving so we were lucky to get a space where we could not have to take the luggage too far (we had a lot due to the 2 small children!) or that could have been a bit difficult.
We thought we would put the beds out before we went for dinner because when we got back the babies would have to go straight to bed, but sadly discovered that the camp bed was actually wet when we unfolded it, so was unusable. I hadn't got the impression that the hotel were terribly quick at customer service so as we had brought an inflatable bed with us just in case, we decided to set that up - but have never stayed in a hotel before where they provide wet beds it has to be said! It had rained heavily earlier and I guess it must have been outside??!!
Having done that at about 20 past 6 we went to the main lodge bit to have dinner, only to be told that this was not possible until after 9pm. At no point during the booking process or check in had they alerted us to the fact that their restaurant gets that fully booked on a random Thursday night in March. At every other 4* hotel I've ever stayed at if their hotel restaurant gets fully booked we have been warned that it is advisable to book a table, especially if they notice that we are travelling with small children. I had booked at least 4 weeks in advance so its not like this was a last minute booking either. So we had to get back in the car after driving for 8 hours, and go and drive somewhere else to try and find dinner for the children.
I found the staff to not really care about customer service at all, when it became apparent that we couldn't eat in the hotel where we were staying (which is ridiculous) no particular solution was offered, with the bedding I had to kind of push to make sure there would be beds for all 4 room occupants, service at breakfast was equally lacklustre - perhaps the staff were having a bad day. However providing wet beds and not advising residential guests to book dinner is ridiculous in a 4* hotel.
We had a swim in the pool the following morning which was very basic, and not overly warm.
I hardly ever give a hotel a really bad review but was just so massively unimpressed, reminded me of a 2* motel to be totally honest. Most of my bad experience was due to travelling with children which they are clearly not geared up to cater for, so perhaps for couples or friends this hotel is a 4* experience, who knows... I do not expect we shall be returning here!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel stands on a quiet sandy cove amid some of Scotland's most stunning scenery. With panoramic views of the Loch and mountains it offers a warm, relaxing atmosphere, delicious modern cuisine from the award winning 2 AA rosette restaurant Colquhoun's, stunning accommodation, including rooms with en-suite saunas and loch view private balconies, and a luxury health suite with sauna, steam room jacuzzi and swimming pool. Perfectly located to explore Scotland, from cities to Highlands ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lodge on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Hotel Luss
- Hotel On Loch Lomond
- On Loch Lomond Luss
- Loch Lomond Lodge
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Luss, Scotland