“Wonderful Stay!”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My fiancée and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and had the most wonderful and memorable night.

It started with me proposing earlier in the evening on the Bonnie banks before arriving at the lodge around 9pm. I had contacted the lodge to make them aware of this situation and as a result we were greeted by a very friendly and welcoming lady on reception that genuinely seemed happy in sharing our news once we let her know that the proposal had already happened!

From there, things only really got better. Our room was absolutely stunning with the most amazing view of Loch Lomond as well as having a massive king size bed, a private sauna and a very spacious, luxurious room indeed. A few minutes after unpacking, a very polite young bartender knocked on our door and delivered us some complimentary champagne which we felt was a very nice touch.

Although we never ate at the hotel, we did make our way to the bar later on that evening and found the staff to be very polite but equally down to Earth with none of that over the top phony service that only ever makes us British feel awkward.

After a few drinks and a blissful nights sleep, we awoke to the most tranquil views of Loch Lomond from our balcony before hitting the sauna to sweat off some of last night’s booze. This was followed by a hearty and tasty buffet style Scottish breakfast which set us up perfectly for a good stroll around the shores to enjoy some memories.

On checking out, we were once again engaged in friendly conversation with the receptionist and the manager, Nigel, who seems like a nice, good humoured and friendly guy, also popped over to pass on his congratulations and best wishes.

All in all, our amazing evening was made all the more special with our stay here and the memories will certainly last a long time.

A big thank you to Nigel and all the staff at the Lodge,

Eve & Mike

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Once again congratulations on your recent engagement.Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and have passed your comments on to my team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Nigel
P.S It would be remiss of me if i did not remind you that we do host wedding receptions at the Lodge.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,604)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked a night here on our way up to the North of Scotland, and booked one of the superior rooms so paid slightly more. I booked for us and our two very small children aged 1 and 3, which I gave details of in the booking process. I was a bit surprised that when confirmation came through there was at no point any indication of what bedding would be available for said children (usually when we stay anywhere they specify that there will be a cot, or a fold away bed etc) so I called the week before to ask, they sounded surprised that there were children even though they were clearly detailed on the booking, and said that we could have a sofa bed set up and a camp bed set up in the room.

We had a really long journey and arrived at about 5.30pm, got to the room and couldn't see any beds but apparently they keep them folded up with the bedding inside them to save space. The room was OK, have to say the decor was a bit tired e.g. broken slats in the blinds etc, but on the whole was fine. The car park was absolutely heaving so we were lucky to get a space where we could not have to take the luggage too far (we had a lot due to the 2 small children!) or that could have been a bit difficult.

We thought we would put the beds out before we went for dinner because when we got back the babies would have to go straight to bed, but sadly discovered that the camp bed was actually wet when we unfolded it, so was unusable. I hadn't got the impression that the hotel were terribly quick at customer service so as we had brought an inflatable bed with us just in case, we decided to set that up - but have never stayed in a hotel before where they provide wet beds it has to be said! It had rained heavily earlier and I guess it must have been outside??!!

Having done that at about 20 past 6 we went to the main lodge bit to have dinner, only to be told that this was not possible until after 9pm. At no point during the booking process or check in had they alerted us to the fact that their restaurant gets that fully booked on a random Thursday night in March. At every other 4* hotel I've ever stayed at if their hotel restaurant gets fully booked we have been warned that it is advisable to book a table, especially if they notice that we are travelling with small children. I had booked at least 4 weeks in advance so its not like this was a last minute booking either. So we had to get back in the car after driving for 8 hours, and go and drive somewhere else to try and find dinner for the children.

I found the staff to not really care about customer service at all, when it became apparent that we couldn't eat in the hotel where we were staying (which is ridiculous) no particular solution was offered, with the bedding I had to kind of push to make sure there would be beds for all 4 room occupants, service at breakfast was equally lacklustre - perhaps the staff were having a bad day. However providing wet beds and not advising residential guests to book dinner is ridiculous in a 4* hotel.

We had a swim in the pool the following morning which was very basic, and not overly warm.

I hardly ever give a hotel a really bad review but was just so massively unimpressed, reminded me of a 2* motel to be totally honest. Most of my bad experience was due to travelling with children which they are clearly not geared up to cater for, so perhaps for couples or friends this hotel is a 4* experience, who knows... I do not expect we shall be returning here!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Frogwell

I was most concerned to read your review and would entirely agree that this is completely unacceptable in a four star hotel and for that I would most sincerely apologise for our shortcomings back in March of this year and I will be looking into this in great detail.Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We loved the location of this lodge, it's right on the edge of the Loch and walking distance to Luss village.

However, the accommodation itself wasn't so great due to a lack of attention to detail. Our Room was musty and carpets dusty. I suffer from allergies so found an over night stay here very draining.
The Bathroom floor had sand from nearby beach, bought in from previous occupants.

The restaurant looked tired, dated, and not particularly clean - at dinner some of my cutlery was dirty, and at breakfast the plates felt like they had baked on food (left over from the dish washer)

Would I stay again? Maybe - but I would hope standard of cleanliness had improved.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ducksbottom
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review and for the constructive feedback following your recent stay with us.I would most sincerely apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion and will look into your comments in great detail.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Firstly, I should mention the quick background of how my partner and I ended up at Lodge on Loch Lomond. For Valentines Day this year, we booked a "romantic getaway" at the Inverbeg Inn, now known as The Inn on Loch Lomond (sister hotel), however, we didn't have the best experience on the night and had terrible issues with waiting for our meal etc The room was perfect at the Beach House but the service was a huge let down. We decided to make a complaint because we felt the bad service ruined our evening quite some bit and as it was expensive, we considered it unacceptable. Upon complaining and myself leaving a negative review here on Trip Advisor, we were contacting by a woman called Sandra - i believe she is a sales manager, who organised a complimentary evening for dinner, bed & breakfast (pretty much same deal as before) but at their sister hotel - The Lodge on Loch Lomond.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a lovely woman on reception, i cant remember her name but she was well mannered and kind.

We were directed to our room, which was absolutely stunning. It was room 20 and it was massive! It had a huge big bed, a lovely dresser with massive mirror, decor was nice, everything was spot on and clean. There was a mini bar fridge (me and my partner don't drink but for those of you who do, i guess its handy) and there was a tv with freeview type channels - not that i advise sitting in and watching tv! There is a patio type door that opens to a balcony, which overlooks the loch and has a table with 2 chairs. IT WAS STUNNING.

After investigating the room for a while, we spotted that in the bathroom area, there was a personal sauna! I've never been anywhere that's had a sauna as part of the en-suite! It truly is the little things that count! Other facilities included tea & coffee, hairdryer, iron, ironing board, electric safe, extra pillows, an electric fan and his and hers sinks and mirrors in the bathroom. Lovely!

We also had access to the Amber Spa, so decided to take advantage and go there right away to spend a few hours before dinner. The hotel provide towels and lockers in the changing facilities, which is useful. We used the laconium, steam room, sauna, the swimming pool and the whirlpool/jacuzzi. We had a lovely relaxing afternoon and it was definitely just what i needed to de-stress from a tough week.

Come tea time, we were super hungry and headed to the restaurant where the manager showed us to our seat and rhymed off the specials. All the waiting staff were well mannered and delivered excellent service. The food was absolutely delicious and we didn't wait too long at all for it, which was the main gripe with the first night away we had at the Inverbeg Inn. We had 3 courses of yummy food and for a fussy eater like myself, every plate was clean by the time I had finished. 10 out of 10! Couldn't recommend it enough.

The bed was super comfortable and we both had a wonderful sleep with no disruptions, no noise, nothing. Just peace! Perfect!

Breakfast on Sunday was between 8-10 and it was buffet style. We opted to sit outside as it was a beautiful morning, no wind, just a nice wee heat from the sun. The buffet consisted of hot breakfast things like sausage, scrambled eggs, bacon etc and there was a section for continental type breakfast with cereal, pastries etc There was a wide selection, enough to please everyone, as well as a menu to order specifics from. Once again, food was great, just what you need to start the day and again, the service was good. No complaints.

We didn't want to leave and only wish we could've stayed an extra day. Although this was complimentary for our bad visit to the Inverbeg, we didn't feel like we were receiving any special treatment to "make it up to us". Everyone seemed to be treated the same and everyone seemed content and like they were truly enjoying their time there. We seen no complaints or unhappy faces.

We would definitely return here as full paying customers and we probably will plan a visit again, possibly for next year as we have a lot on! All in all, a very successful, stress-free, relaxing day and night away - absolutely no faults and we will be recommending this place to our friends and family.

Thanks to Sandra for setting us up with this and also to all the staff at The Lodge for providing a wonderful service.

2  Thank Gemma B
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor following your return visit,I am so pleased that you found everything to your satisfaction and had an enjyable stay with us.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our second visit, and this place just gets better and better! 10/10 for everything, location, staff, room, restaurant, facilities, beach, view. I have never had a better meal! We nearly had to be dragged kicking and screaming at check out time! Thank you to Nigel, Heather and all the staff for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

What a great review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.It is always extremely gratifying to receive such positive feedback from our guests as the Lodge is constantly striving for perfection and provide all of our guests a memorable experience.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Booked a weekend away for me and the wife as a surprise. For the money paid I expected a little more class and style. The location is lovely and so was the food, however the hotel and rooms are in dire need of redevelopment. It's probably a good idea to check if there is a wedding on if you book over the weekend as it can be quite hectic and mis managed. The restaurant manager also needs a few lessons in staff etiquette as he likes to be heard.

Disappointed. Probably wouldn't book again.

Room Tip: Carter suites face the loch.
1  Thank Richard M

I was most disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us and would apologise if we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.I note your positive comments regarding our cuisine and have passed this on to our Executive Chef.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was a nice location and easy to find. Whilst it was a nice hotel with some lovely views, it wasn't as 'wow' as we had hoped. Albeit mainly minor points, there were quite a few of them that accumulate to only score this hotel 'average'.

The corridors were very narrow and difficult to negotiate with luggage. The room was a little cramped because there was a lot of furniture in the room. The décor was mainly pine with some bizarre pictures on the wall as well. The gates to the beach were mostly locked and it took a little bit of effort to work out which way to get down there. Also, the service was good but the staff seemed a bit grumpy in the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

A disappointing review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.A true saying is that you cant keep everyone happy all of the time,however at the Lodge we do manage an extremely high level of guest satisfaction and enjoy a very high level of repeat business.
Regards
Nigel Bird

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Arrochar Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!