“Fabulous - wish we could have stayed longer”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Rainford, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous - wish we could have stayed longer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Absolutely gorgeous. So peaceful and serene. Beautiful views from the rooms, fantastic balconies to sit on.
The staff were excellent, restaurant was lovely. Rooms clean, modern - we even had a mini sauna!
Would definitely recommend and we will be returning x

• Stayed May 2014
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable experience and have passed your positive and encouraging comments on to my team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Hebrew first
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Yet again this hotel surpasses itself. We were welcomed back like old friends, complimentary champagne and a beautiful hand made card on the terrace.
The General Manager Nigel is omnipresent with a serene and calm manner ensuring the enjoyment of his guests.
We were looked after by one of the management team Heather, and she could not have done more to make our stay wonderful. A credit to the hotel.
I work in the hospitality industry and it's rare indeed to find a hotel that gets everything right when it comes to customer service.
The restaurant is lovely and the food hits the mark.
We had beautiful weather and were able to use the new pier and enjoy the beach.
The only problem... The stay wasn't long enough. We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: I prefer the more traditional corbett rooms, although all the rooms are lovely, it comes down to per...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you kindly for such a positive and glowing review and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.I am pleased that you are continually impressed by the Lodge and the service and hospitality that we offer and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have lived in the city so long I guess I don't realize how much noise pollution we have there. That is, until I visited the Lodge at Loch Lamond. Our room looked out over the Loch and standing on the deck outside in the fading light of day or early in the morning when the sun was just beginning to show, I was reminded. I have never experienced quiet peace like exist there.
The mountains that form the backdrop to the loch make it seem as if you are looking out your window at a painting.
This is an ideal location for a romantic get-a-way.
Our room also included an in room spa!

Room Tip: Any room with a balcony overlooking the deck!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank twebb51
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place such a terrific review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. The setting is amazing and perfect for a romantic getaway. The staff were welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was extremely clean and well equipped and the view was stunning. The food was delicious, well cooked and beautifully presented. The buffet breakfast was lovely and kept us going all day! Luss is a gorgeous place and the visitor centre is a good place to visit. Fabulous place and wonderful location.great staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for placing such a fabulous review on Trip Advisor,I was delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and have passed your positive and encouraging comments on to my team.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arranged this trip for our wedding anniversary,we thought the hotel and location looked special and we were not disappointed. On our arrival we were greeted by Hayley,who was welcoming,friendly and professional. Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean with an iron and ironingboard safe and joy of joys a hairdryer not attched to a wall. The view from our room was stunning and was the icing in the cake. This is a lovely hotel,in an amazing setting,the pool and spa were a lovely bonus.
Dinner on all four nights of our stay was superb,Colin, the restaurant manager was great and gave us a quick tutorial in whiskey for beginners. The restaurant staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive,we were served by Charlotte and Rachel and they were lovely. Breakfast was great Pearl and the staff were excellent.
The area is gorgeous, Luss is beautiful and there are some lovely walks,the boat trip was well worth doing as was the seaplane flight,simply stunning.
Nigel the hotel manager was very wonderful and made us feel very welcome,had good local knowledge and gave us advice and suggestions on places to visit,we would like to thank him and all the staff for making our anniversary and our stay memorable.
H and P Marshall

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4,lovely
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
What a wonderful review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience with us .I have passed your comments on to my team with a special thanks to the team members you highlighted in your review.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the most perfect day. Great setting with spectacular views over the loch. The staff are so helpful and nothing is a problem. Had a lovely meal in the afternoon and the buffet breakfast was delicious. The pool was lovely and not crowded at all. Will be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place your positive and encouraging comments on Trip Advisor.I have passed your comments on to my team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.
Scottish Borders
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

The view over the Loch is simply stunning and is the main thing I enjoyed at this hotel. The lounge is relaxing but the tables are not being cleaned properly; they are natural wood and some have holes where knots have been - these were full of food debris. The room was lovely although there was a badly cracked sink. Unfortunately the rain determined that we could not use our balcony overlooking the loch but I imagine that in dry weather this would be a delightful experience. The swimming pool is in a different building from the one I was staying in and I had to go out in the rain to get to the pool - the website does not make this clear. I spoke to a woman who was staying at the Inn on Loch Lomond and she had to travel 3 miles to get to the pool - she said she was not aware that this would be the case. The spa and pool area is not staffed; I was there on my own which felt a little unsafe, however the lure of a pool to myself won so I stayed.
The service is mediocre. When I arrived my room was not ready so I was asked to take a seat in the lounge and told someone would come get me in 10 - 15 minutes. After 30 minutes no staff had arrived so I made my way back to reception to find a different receptionist there who was unaware I was waiting. He seemed bored when informing me of where things are in the hotel and rushed through this, telling me all the information I need is in my room.

My main course at dinner was tasteless (pea and mint risotto) so I left most of it and was not asked by the server who took it away if anything was wrong. However the maitre'D did ask us if all was ok at the end of the meal and I explained about my main course so he deducted this from the bill. Unfortunately he gave a little sermon on how he cannot fix things if he doesn't know anything is wrong. I explained that this was the first time I had been asked how the meal was. At the start of dinner I explained I was vegetarian and was asked 'how vegetarian?' to which I responded, 'erm I am vegetarian'; I think staff ought to know what this means and inform me if meals are suitable or not (it was not recorded on the menu). I am aware that some people wrongly refer to themselves as vegetarian but actually eat white meat and fish which means they are not veggie, but I expect staff to assume that if I describe myself thus, I actually am one. I had a choice of 2 starters and one main course - not good. Unfortunatley at dinner we were seated next to a group of 2 couples who frequently and loudly used colourful, homophobic and aggressive language - not nice. We moved away at the end of our meal with coffee and drinks to the lounge and were chased by the Maitre'D with our receipt to sign even though he could see our hands were full; he made us feel as if we had done something wrong and he should have been more discreet.

At breakfast, the server came to our table with a plate of mixed white and brown bread toasted so I asked her to give us brown bread only toasted, which she did but surely it is better to ask first. The breakfast was ok. They did serve a small chocolate orange pastry that was delicious.

The hotel has obviously once been a very special place but there are signs of wear and tear, e.g. a cracked sink in our room, damage to a couple of the beams in the lounge ceiling, engrained food debris in the natural wood tables in the lounge.

The view is the only thing I really enjoyed about this hotel. It would be a shame if it is allowed to deteriorate further. Staff training needs to improve as some staff made me feel as if I was being a hassle to them and they generally did not express information well. The website describes this hotel as providing luxury accomodation - it perhaps once did but does not now.

2 Thank Helen H
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for bringing our shortcomings to my attention.I would most sincerely apologise for what I can only assure you are not our usual standards of service and I will be fully looking into each point.Once again thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!