I use TripAdvisor extensively for my world wide travel for work. It tends to never let me down. However on this occasion, I booked this hotel based on good reviews and I have no idea how they exist.
I paid 150 up front for a room in this hotel based on its website. We arrived expecting a lovely location, views of Loch Lomond and a good nights stay. We checked in and were allocated our room.
Now, it seems £150 does not get you anything like that. We were turned around and directed back across the car park to a building that is not part of the main hotel. The room we had was a shock. First point to mention is that there is the bed, the headboard and then the bathroom. Yep, the bathroom is in the bedroom, not a different room.
The room also smelt and looked musty, old and threadbare. The view we expected was of a car park, with a grass area beyond that and the lake in the distance. We aren't talking about a bit of a shabby room here either, this place was gross. The hair-dryer for example was covered in some sort of stain, like someone had had an accident on it.
These things happen, so I returned to reception and told them the room was not suitable and requested an alternative. I was told that the room was all that was available, or another of the same type. I was also told that their website described the room format and the fact the bathroom is in the bedroom. This is not the case.
As another better room was not available I said I'd check out and leave. The staff then informed me that their 48 hour cancellation policy had passed, so I would not be entitled to a refund. I understand hotels need to make a living. I can also understand them having a policy that if people do not turn up or cancel at the last minute they charge them. However, I turned up. I was 400 miles from home and my fiancée 4000 miles from her home in Chicago. We'd turned up fully prepared to pay and stay and the room was not as described.
I took the managers details and left the hotel. We then had a great stay at the nearby Cameron House hotel, which I note other people on here are also suggesting. Do it!!!
I emailed the manager, a month has passed and he has never once replied to my email. I've had emails from other staff members, again referring to their 48 hour cancellation policy and telling me a refund is not possible.
The thing is, there are other people on here that have had refunds, so their policy does not stand up. I've made it quite clear to them that I am not accepting that and will be ensuring it is followed up and I get my money. I note other reviews saying the same. So, its down to the hotel to decide if they are refunding my money, or its a small claims court process for them it seems.
Oh and its worth noting that they DID offer me another night free of charge in an alternative room. Because I want to travel all that way back to find out how bad the other rooms are don't I!
Mr Manager, do the right thing and issue a refund for my money. No business can survive taking the deceptive approach yours does. I know you can respond to this and no doubt it will be more nonsense, save yourself the effort and refund my money and get your hotel in order.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel stands on a quiet sandy cove amid some of Scotland's most stunning scenery. With panoramic views of the Loch and mountains it offers a warm, relaxing atmosphere, delicious modern cuisine from the award winning 2 AA rosette restaurant Colquhoun's, stunning accommodation, including rooms with en-suite saunas and loch view private balconies, and a luxury health suite with sauna, steam room jacuzzi and swimming pool. Perfectly located to explore Scotland, from cities to Highlands ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Lodge on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Hotel Luss
- Hotel On Loch Lomond
- On Loch Lomond Luss
- Loch Lomond Lodge
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Luss, Scotland