“Great Location, food and service”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Melton Mowbray
“Great Location, food and service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

On the bonnie bonnie banks with great views across Loch Lomond through the floor to ceiling windows. Tastefully decorated with big comfy sofas in the lounge area. Food is top quality but courses could have been a little bit bigger. Staff were attentive and helpful at our table for ten and the timings for service just about perfect. Good selection of wines and a price range that won't break the bank. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for such a great review and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable dining experience with us,with a new chef on board your comments are most encouraging.I have passed your comments on to my Food and Beverage team.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Hebrew first
The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have frequented here for several years. The food was excellent, staff always friendly, location spectacular and overall ambiance relaxing.
Recently we have found the food quality varied - it appears to have gone from outstanding to more run of the mill - hopefully this has improved.
Restaurant staff standards were inferior to our experiences - food stains all over clothing, disheveled hair, rather offhand etc
We had become accustomed to a regular member of staff with excellent customer relations. Always immaculately presented, warm and friendly, who led by example..............

Thank goodness Pearl has returned!

We only hope the rest of the staff follow her example and food quality has improved together with recent changes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura M
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and as a regular guest your comments are most valuable.I am unsure as to when your last visit to the Lodge was but I assume that it must have been a good while ago as Pearl has been here since I commenced at the Lodge,we have a new Executive chef in place and the comments from our regulars regarding our cuisine has been exemplary.You are not mistaken about Pearl and the enormous contribution she gives to our team and I will pass on your comments to her.I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I use TripAdvisor extensively for my world wide travel for work. It tends to never let me down. However on this occasion, I booked this hotel based on good reviews and I have no idea how they exist.

I paid 150 up front for a room in this hotel based on its website. We arrived expecting a lovely location, views of Loch Lomond and a good nights stay. We checked in and were allocated our room.

Now, it seems £150 does not get you anything like that. We were turned around and directed back across the car park to a building that is not part of the main hotel. The room we had was a shock. First point to mention is that there is the bed, the headboard and then the bathroom. Yep, the bathroom is in the bedroom, not a different room.

The room also smelt and looked musty, old and threadbare. The view we expected was of a car park, with a grass area beyond that and the lake in the distance. We aren't talking about a bit of a shabby room here either, this place was gross. The hair-dryer for example was covered in some sort of stain, like someone had had an accident on it.

These things happen, so I returned to reception and told them the room was not suitable and requested an alternative. I was told that the room was all that was available, or another of the same type. I was also told that their website described the room format and the fact the bathroom is in the bedroom. This is not the case.

As another better room was not available I said I'd check out and leave. The staff then informed me that their 48 hour cancellation policy had passed, so I would not be entitled to a refund. I understand hotels need to make a living. I can also understand them having a policy that if people do not turn up or cancel at the last minute they charge them. However, I turned up. I was 400 miles from home and my fiancée 4000 miles from her home in Chicago. We'd turned up fully prepared to pay and stay and the room was not as described.

I took the managers details and left the hotel. We then had a great stay at the nearby Cameron House hotel, which I note other people on here are also suggesting. Do it!!!

I emailed the manager, a month has passed and he has never once replied to my email. I've had emails from other staff members, again referring to their 48 hour cancellation policy and telling me a refund is not possible.

The thing is, there are other people on here that have had refunds, so their policy does not stand up. I've made it quite clear to them that I am not accepting that and will be ensuring it is followed up and I get my money. I note other reviews saying the same. So, its down to the hotel to decide if they are refunding my money, or its a small claims court process for them it seems.

Oh and its worth noting that they DID offer me another night free of charge in an alternative room. Because I want to travel all that way back to find out how bad the other rooms are don't I!

Mr Manager, do the right thing and issue a refund for my money. No business can survive taking the deceptive approach yours does. I know you can respond to this and no doubt it will be more nonsense, save yourself the effort and refund my money and get your hotel in order.

Room Tip: The Cameron House hotel, unless you want to bath next to the bed!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 8338y
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
An unreasonable review. The Lodge operates at a very high occupancy and enjoys an enviable level of repeat business which clearly demonstrates that we offer all of our guests an enjoyable experience.The room described in this review is of a very good standard and on this occasion do not accept the comments detailed in this review. There seems to be more to this than meets the eye.
I am sorry on this occasion that we obviously failed in our constant quest to ensure all of our guests have a truly enjoyable experience with us.
Regards
california, falkirk
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from brilliant one night stay with my partner at this hotel. Very good room with balcony and great view over loch Lomond, not forgetting the en suite sauna. Excellent evening meal. Food was first class and well presented. We found the staff to be very friendly and approachable. Thank you to manager Nigel and all staff.

Room Tip: ask for room with loch view and balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Great Review! Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and I was delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.I have passed your positive and encouraging comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My company was hosting a 2 day seminar at the Lodge and I cannot really find many faults with it. When I arrived the staff were quick to greet us and get us quickly into the rooms.

The room I had was amazing, with a balcony on to the Loch, a sauna, comfy chairs and all the other components that make a great hotel room.

Whilst there we used one of the conference rooms and found the staff to be excellent, providing prompt and professional service. If there was one gripe it would have to be there was never enough coffee.

Had breakfast, lunch and dinner all of which were excellent with a nice modern twist to some of the items. Though at the conference meal we found some dishes were a bit lukewarm rather than hot through, could be just a timing issue when delivering the dishes I suspect.

The bar had an excellent range of whiskeys and plenty of beers in the fridges. Throughout the hotel the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Especially one young lad behind the bar late on one the the nights who really knew his whiskey!

Many thanks for a lovely stay. May have to come back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and event with us.I have noted your constructive comments and will discuss this with m management team.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Gourock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We've stayed here several times now and on a nice summers day it's a spectacular venue. The rooms are always immaculate both in décor and cleanliness.
However, over the years we've experienced a few things worth pointing out to fellow travellers.
1. The venue is now a very popular wedding venue on Loch Lomond. This can mean very large block bookings sometimes for several days. From experience, you want to either avoid during weddings completely or ensure your room is far from the wedding party - preferably the other building
2. Don't get over-excited about the leisure facilities. Often (in our experience) the sauna or steam rooms are having work carried out on them ad consequently are 'out of order'. Even in a fully functioning condition, the facilities just aren't what you might expect.
3. Staff are nice but very often seem rushed so trying to establish one point (a named person) of contact during your stay would be advisable.
4. Try not to forget anything for your visit. You are charged for everything. And don't think that cute teddy bear on your bed is a welcome gift - that little guy will cost you £25 too!
5. There are much better rooms than others and usually, if you ask when you call to book, the receptionist will elaborate on which ones may be best suited to your visit.

Room Tip: For a quieter, more private stay ask for a room in the new building. Generally quieter with lovely v...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review,it must be some time since you last stayed at the Lodge as it has been at least 9 months since we stopped placing Teddy bears in our guest rooms.The Lodge has a relatively new management team and has taken great steps to improve on its guest experience which includes regular checks to ensure that our leisure facility is always fully operational, our leisure facility offers a 16metre swimming pool,Jacuzzi,sauna,steam room and laconium and of course the enviable views of Loch Lomond.I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge where you will see all the changes in place.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Booked as a honeymoon treat! Service on arrival shocking.. Staff rude not very welcoming! Room was substandard, carpet soiled and ripped wallpaper, had a meal which was not pleasant then we decided to check out! Be warned they still charged for a full stay.. I'm fighting to get a refund!!! There are nicer places ! I'd recommend Cameron house! First class!!!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Elizabeth R
Since the conception of Trip Advisor I have been a huge supporter of this review site and have always felt that it has played an important role in the raising of standards within the Hospitality industry and found them fair to deal with until this review. The reviewer did not even stay at the Lodge and as such is not placed to post such a damning review, I did contact Trip Advisor to have this removed and this was refused.I dont know how they had the validity of this review confirmed.Disappointed Trip Advisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Knockderry House Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
Roman Camp Hotel
#1 of 6 in Callander

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!