“Great location, great views good food”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We enjoyed our two night stay, with the prosecco and one inclusive dinner. Staff were friendly, spa was great. The room was interesting and different and the views great. my one gripe is that the bed wasn t good. many hotels aspiring to this level provide superking vi spring level of bed. Our bed was king size but not comfortable..

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I spent a night here with my fiancé for her birthday but I wasn’t really impressed from the moment I arrived. The location is absolutely spectacular, though.

Check-in was quick & easy & the lady that served me was so efficient. The start of a disappointing stay began when the lounge was closed off for a private party. I made the booking at least one month prior to arrival & no effort was made to inform me that this would be the case, despite phoning & paying for a bottle of Prosecco the day before. So rather than chilling out in the lounge over a few cocktails & a lite bite the only option that we felt we had was to stay in our room, which to be honest, was probably the best part of our stay. The rooms were very clean, well appointment, spacious, comfy & had its own Sauna - five stars to the housekeeping team.

Later that afternoon we booked the hotels restaurant, Colquhoun’s, for evening dinner around 7pm. I looked on the hotels website for a menu that seemed quite appetizing & I was actually excited for a great dinner. On arrival, the menu wasn’t the same & some of the dishes were unavailable. So that great dinner I was looking forward to was somewhat cut short. The restaurant service seemed to be under direction of a gentleman called Colin & I assume the other well-built gentleman floating around the floor & serving tables was his assistant. Overall dinner service was attentive but no thanks to Colin’s assistant, so fair play to him – I was unable to catch his name.

As the lounge re-opened later that night, after having a walk along the beach we decided to have the cocktails we would have liked in the afternoon. At the time, the bar was pretty busy with wedding guests (as they clearly couldn’t get served in their own function room). There were only two members of staff on the bar, under so much pressure making cocktails, pints & other drinks, Colin, standing by the stairs looking over everyone didn’t seem to want to do anything about it or send another person behind to help. I overheard him saying “I have nobody else. What can I do?” but low & behold, his assistant resolved it, so again, fair play to that man. It was quite obvious that there were new bartenders in place that night but instead of actually being hands-on Colin just decided to stay on the wrong side of the bar shouting instructions on how to work the till or give directions on where certain products/bottles were . In the whole mist of all of this I placed my order for two cocktails that allegedly got lost & as a result I waited over 45 minutes. Guess what? It was his assistant that resolved it again!

On leaving the bar after our cocktails we decided to pre-order breakfast for our bedroom the following morning. It was Colin on reception, he didn't have any menus & when we asked him what the options were his reply was ''just tell me what you would like & if we have it you can get it." Great, that helped! Breakfast came the following morning at 8am as requested but with items missing that had apparently not been delivered yet.

The hotel, location & its facilities are great but the service has a lot to look up to. Such a disappointing visit after all the hype from friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JustJamtastic

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Trip Advisor and for bringing our shortcomings to my attention and I will look into the issues highlighted.I would most sincerely apologise for the problems that you encountered. I have passed your positive comments on to my housekeeping team.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

this hotel is situated on loch lomond with fantastic views.had a light lunch and it was excellent. then we were showed to our room. a lovely bathroom. a sauna . a lovely sitting area. and a balcony.we sat on the balcony and had a drink in the sunshine. then dinner was excellent. breakfast today was very good. an excellent hotel with lovely staff. would stay here anytime. very clean and the sanua was most unexpected. inside the room was like a lodge wood panelling painted white..

Room Tip: all rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

A great review and I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.Your encouraging comments have been passed on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We spent the last night of our trip in the 2 bedroom Cuillen Suite, before departing from the airport in Glasgow. The location is spectacular. We had a nice lunch overlooking the Loch while waiting on our room. The suite was a bit confusing, it was like having two separate bedrooms and a separate living area, each with their own keyed door. When we arrived, someone else's luggage was still in the living area. After sorting out the confusion, we were comfortable in the space. The pictures on their website make the hotel appear to be a much grander place than it actually is..It has a rustic charm, but it is hardly luxurious.

We had drinks in the bar area and were pleased with the service and views. Things went downhill at dinner though. While our server was trying her best, the kitchen was a problem. She apologized several times for the delay in receiving our meals, and even the manager came by to apologize. When the food finally arrived, they brought my wife the wrong dish. She had had enough and left. The rest of us ate, but the mood was destroyed and the food was average at best. The manager again apologized and did not charge us for anything. Still, it was an awful way to spend our last night in Scotland.

1  Thank johnsokl223

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for your constructive feedback on our service.I would apologise most sincerely for our shortcomings in our restaurant and have taken steps to improve on this.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We returned there in May having stayed there a few years ago. Nice weather for most of the time. Staff are lovely and really helpful, with nothing too much trouble. The manager Nigel, is a really nice guy too, and was very anxious to do anything to make our stay a good one. We were made to feel special right from checking in. Nigel even went off to get a Times newspaper for us as we hadn't been able to get one. Then got us a drink while we waited for our room to be ready. (we were early arriving)
Nice room with balcony and stunning views over Loch Lomond. We also had a sauna in the room which we made good use of. Restaurant nice also with view over the loch. Food was very good too, and an ample breakfast.
Loch Lomond is a stunning place and staying here is so handy too for the surrounding area. The new jetty is a nice addition. This hotel seems to be improving all the time. We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a suite with balcony and view over the Loch.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place your positive comments on Trip Advisor,I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband, sons and parents in March and had a fantastic time, absolutely beautiful location, nice staff, easy check in. We had lunch in the restaurant and it tasted lovely and very relaxing looking out the panoramic windows to the loch. We stayed in a suite with a balcony and the room was nicely decorated but space was a little tight, we had a sofa bed and an extra bed which we asked to be removed as wasn't needed, this was done quickly.
We used the facilities, pool, spa, sauna etc and they were all great.
We had our evening meals in the restaurant and the food was always delicious. I have stayed here a few times and will continue to do so in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to place such positive comments on Trip Advisor.Your comments have been passed on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in July, and took the Cuillin Suite (2 bedrooms). We took the package which includes dinner (think it adds about £20 per adult per night). We had 2 kids (ages 10 and 8) with us.

Positives:
- Location is outstanding - Loch is very pretty and nearby Luss village is nice.
- 3 course evening meals as part of dinner package were all really good and restaurant has great views.
- Lounge area is nice and relaxing - and terraced above the restaurant so it also has good views on the Loch too.
- Wifi is free and quite quick
- Pool and spa area good and was right near the room - was about 15 steps from our door to the pool area.
- Cuillin Suite was quite good value for a larger family compared to taking 2 rooms - it's great having a separate lounge and balcony, which was large and had views.
- Most staff were friendly

Negatives
- The suite lacks any thermostat and we constantly felt too hot, despite it only being 18-24 degrees outside in the daytime whilst we were there. There was a sad irony that in one bedroom we could hear some noise from air-conditioners units outside the open window, despite the entire suite itself not having air-con. We also had issues with midges when we did open windows.
- The bathrooms are tragic example of style triumphing over function - relatively new designer fittings but so significant flaws in the design - reaching the toilet roll holder requires you to lean around the sink; no extractor fan for steam; no light over mirror so you shave in your own shadow (the ceiling lighting is two downlights behind you); touch sensitive taps that have no variation in flow speed; no vanity around the designer basin, so there is virtually no where to put any toiletries (kept reaching to the floor for deodorant etc)
- Breakfast buffet is just 'okay', but the most limited selection I've seen in quite a long time - only one choice of milk; no yoghurts; no fresh fruit salad; no bananas/apples, no choice of tea, filter coffee only, no haggis (as a reference, we stayed at an illustrious Premier Inn in Edinburgh City Centre the night after and the breakfast choice was had every thing I've listed above except haggis).
- Whilst the food was always good, the evening meal was always a long affair - we'd usually arrive at 7 and not leave until after 9. I know it's nice to enjoy the company and the view, but my preference would be for a slightly snappier process and then retire to the lounge for some drinks.
- Was offered a daily newspaper choice at check-in and this only turned up on 1 of the 3 mornings.
- I may have missed it, but the hotel seems to lack much to bring the guests together and to entertain kids - I think it would benefit from a ping-pong table or two, boules sets and a few games for kids. The hotel book in the room mentioned reception having some board games for kids - but there weren't any when our kids asked.

1  Thank David_Owen_2012

Thank you for taking the time to place such a comprehensive review on Trip Advisor,it is very important that we receive constructive feedback on our service and facilities in order that we can constantly maintain and improve our offerings. I will be looking into your comments and making immediate improvements and your positive comments have been passed on to my team.
Once again thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.
Nigel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!