“Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, thinking it would be a real treat. However, we arrived several hours early in the pouring rain. I had hoped we would be offered to use the leisure facilities, but unfortunately not. The location is fantastic, with lovely view from our room. We had an executive room at 31 sq feet, however did not realise that was only because the bath and sink were in the same room. Although it did not say en-suite, I've never been anywhere with a bath in the room. The bed was clean and comfortable, but on the whole felt the room was a bit tired. One of the curtains was badly stained, the lamp shade on the table was torn, and the tiled floor in the bath area needed a good scrub. Breakfast was underwhelming, with self service, no fruit or yogurts. Staff were ok, but nothing about this hotel is of 4 star quality. Reading other reviews, there does seem to be a bit of a mix, but taking into account the price per night, I would have expected it to be much better. However, I did enjoy the leisure facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for your constructive feedback.Lessons can be learned from this and I will take them fully on board and would apologise to you for our shortcomings.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Hebrew first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The lodge on Loch Lomond was very very disappointing for the price we paid Well over the top. The balcony was filthy with bird droppings so much so that we were unable to use the table or the ,seats and even could not step out onto the Balcony floor as it was covered with bird droppings We asked for this to cleaned up 3 times but checked out on the third morning and nothing had been done to clean up. Also paid and booked (as one does) for a mini bar in the room and when we reported that the mini bar was not there the reply was "We are still trying to get a small mini bar to fit the allocated space. "Was there something in particular that you wanted from the mini bar' was the sarcastic remark from reception .Avoid this place and go elsewhere there are plenty of nicer and more reasonable priced accommodation on Loch Lomond. Also the food is very poor quality and we found the staff rude and not helpful. I was charged over 8 dollars for a coffee.the ONLY nice part was the view of Loch Lomond which one can see from other hotels on the Loch.

Room Tip: Just ask for a clean room and if possible away from the noise of weddings on the week end
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jack428
Thank you for taking the time to bring our shortcomings to my attention. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues that you have raised and will look into this matter in full. We have been experiencing problems in our kitchens which has resulted in the appointment of new Head Chef who is bringing the standards back to the level that our guests have come to expect.
I am so sorry that on this occasion we did not get things right.
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked a 2 night stay and was really hoping to get a balcony but there was none available at this time. The girl on reception said she would do her best for us if one became available. I was a little disappointed but as we had left it a bit late in booking not surprised. When we arrived we got our key to our room (The Graham Rooms) no balcony but I was gobsmacked when we opened the door as the view was one of the best views I have ever seen. We watched the moon coming up on Sunday night which was spectacular.

The staff were so helpful and friendly.

Will be back

Room Tip: have stayed in Corbett and Graham rooms and both excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and your comments have been passed on to my team.You are quite right and the views are outstanding from the room.I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.
London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is beautifully situated on the Loch, with a small beach that is easily accessible from the hotel. The rooms are beautiful, very spacious and very well appointed (sauna included). The village of Luss is also beautiful and lovely to spend the day in. However the food in the restaurant is of a very poor quality. My husband had duck one evening (asked for it to be cooked medium rare) and I had the special of Pork. Both were so over cooked that they were inedible. Breakfast is a buffet. The scrambled eggs were grey on both of the mornings we had breakfast so we stuck to cereal!

Our room was overlooking the Loch and the small beach with stunning views, however on our first night there were two weddings taking place at the hotel and groups of people took to the beach at 1 am, shouting and screaming. With a 10 month old in the room it proved very disruptive and kept us all awake until the early hours. Not the relaxing stay we had envisaged. I left a cardigan behind and asked the hotel to send it to me. They charged me £10 for the pleasure despite the postage only costing £4.30! All things considered (noise, bad food and charging me a ridiculous amount for postage), we certainly won't be visiting this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and we value your review.I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on two fronts,firstly for the disturbance that you received from the wedding guests and would assure you that whilst the hotel hosts numerous wedding receptions it is most unusual for there to be this level of noise at night.
Secondly i was most concerned to read your comments regarding your dining experience and would go as far to explain that we have recently experienced some problems in this area and as a result we have appointed a new Head Chef to improve the standard of our cuisine. and I believe that we are back to our usual standards.
Once again thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Lodge in the future.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A great place for food whether that be casual dining or A La Carte, the view is one of the best on the Loch.

You can sit in comfy settees or a table and after the meal you can walk straight down on to the shore.

I believe dogs are welcome to stay here. I have never stayed the night only spent the afternoon. I did contact the management for staging a family BBQ and found them to be very accommodating although in the end we had to make other plans.

The same company owns what used to be called Inverbeg Inn, now called the Inn on the Loch, which is a few miles along the road.

Room Tip: Read the Hotel's other reviews in Trip Advisor for tips on rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
What a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and your comments have been passed on to my team.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our two night stay, with the prosecco and one inclusive dinner. Staff were friendly, spa was great. The room was interesting and different and the views great. my one gripe is that the bed wasn t good. many hotels aspiring to this level provide superking vi spring level of bed. Our bed was king size but not comfortable..

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I spent a night here with my fiancé for her birthday but I wasn’t really impressed from the moment I arrived. The location is absolutely spectacular, though.

Check-in was quick & easy & the lady that served me was so efficient. The start of a disappointing stay began when the lounge was closed off for a private party. I made the booking at least one month prior to arrival & no effort was made to inform me that this would be the case, despite phoning & paying for a bottle of Prosecco the day before. So rather than chilling out in the lounge over a few cocktails & a lite bite the only option that we felt we had was to stay in our room, which to be honest, was probably the best part of our stay. The rooms were very clean, well appointment, spacious, comfy & had its own Sauna - five stars to the housekeeping team.

Later that afternoon we booked the hotels restaurant, Colquhoun’s, for evening dinner around 7pm. I looked on the hotels website for a menu that seemed quite appetizing & I was actually excited for a great dinner. On arrival, the menu wasn’t the same & some of the dishes were unavailable. So that great dinner I was looking forward to was somewhat cut short. The restaurant service seemed to be under direction of a gentleman called Colin & I assume the other well-built gentleman floating around the floor & serving tables was his assistant. Overall dinner service was attentive but no thanks to Colin’s assistant, so fair play to him – I was unable to catch his name.

As the lounge re-opened later that night, after having a walk along the beach we decided to have the cocktails we would have liked in the afternoon. At the time, the bar was pretty busy with wedding guests (as they clearly couldn’t get served in their own function room). There were only two members of staff on the bar, under so much pressure making cocktails, pints & other drinks, Colin, standing by the stairs looking over everyone didn’t seem to want to do anything about it or send another person behind to help. I overheard him saying “I have nobody else. What can I do?” but low & behold, his assistant resolved it, so again, fair play to that man. It was quite obvious that there were new bartenders in place that night but instead of actually being hands-on Colin just decided to stay on the wrong side of the bar shouting instructions on how to work the till or give directions on where certain products/bottles were . In the whole mist of all of this I placed my order for two cocktails that allegedly got lost & as a result I waited over 45 minutes. Guess what? It was his assistant that resolved it again!

On leaving the bar after our cocktails we decided to pre-order breakfast for our bedroom the following morning. It was Colin on reception, he didn't have any menus & when we asked him what the options were his reply was ''just tell me what you would like & if we have it you can get it." Great, that helped! Breakfast came the following morning at 8am as requested but with items missing that had apparently not been delivered yet.

The hotel, location & its facilities are great but the service has a lot to look up to. Such a disappointing visit after all the hype from friends.

1 Thank Jamlicious87
Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Trip Advisor and for bringing our shortcomings to my attention and I will look into the issues highlighted.I would most sincerely apologise for the problems that you encountered. I have passed your positive comments on to my housekeeping team.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!