“Last chance”

Lodge on Loch Lomond
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was the third time of staying and our last. On our previous visit we felt they were letting themselves down and the main hotel needed refurbishing. On this visit we were put in the building with the pool, better quality but we missed out on the loch views; and walking to and from the restaurant in the rain with no umbrella provided was no fun. I specifically asked for cucumber with Hendrick' gin and tonic, it came with lime, it also had a full can of tonic poured in. The wine was just poured on the first night without asking for it to be tasted first; maybe that's what happens with screw-top wine in poor quality establishments. The food, however, has got worse and just very poor. So much rocket served with starters and mains you develop floppy ears. A square of puff pastry with a few pieces of blue cheese and a slice of pear was dreadful. My husband's duck had no crispy skin and which was tough. The next main course for me was sea bass with no crispy skin and never any dressing on the usual salad, finished off with overdone potatoes. This was followed by a pannacotta that had too much gelatine in it. Breakfast was bad coffee served in a teapot and tea served in a coffee pot, no fresh fruit on the second morning, no yogurt and the hot options lukewarm and congealed - just disgusting. We also heard some other guests complaining about their food. Irritatingly, we were sat for all our meals under a constantly flickering overhead light. With, in our view, undeserved 4 stars we would have expected the staff to have fixed this straight away. The restaurant door to the balcony was wedged open with cigarette smoke wafting in clouds whilst we were having dinner. There were also dogs on the balcony. Both these should mix with food. This hotel used to have an excellent chef and staff many years ago. Sad.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 49WilliamM101
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

I was most sorry to read your comments regarding our shortcomings during your recent stay with us and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the obvious bad service you received in our bar and restaurant and would fully agree with you that this is completely unacceptable.I will be addressing these issues as a matter of urgency.I would hope that you would consider returning to the Lodge at a future date and would be grateful if you would contact me nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk
Once again my most sincere apologies.

There are newer reviews for Lodge on Loch Lomond

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have to say that I did not find any fault with our stay here. We stayed here in a Loch view room and the views were excellent. We used the spa facilties during the day which were just in the building across the car park where they have a decent size pool, sauna and jacuzzi. We dined at night in the restaurant and the food was magic ! Lovely seasonal ingredients and a nice atmosphere in the restaurant with the staff helpful and friendly. I stayed here as part of a gift so can't really comment on the price and whether it was worth it or not but I certainly found it one of the nicer places that I have stayed. I would certainly return for a further stay :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.Your comments have been passed on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here the last night of our trip to Scotland and it was incredible. We got to the lodge early, but they went ahead and checked us in and took our luggage. We enjoyed a drink at the bar with an incredible view of Loch Lomond until our room was ready. It was rainy and wet, so it was wonderful we had such a lovely room to enjoy (one of the executive munros) with our own private deck and stunning view (again, of Loch Lomond). The room was super clean and well appointed with lots of modern touches. All the hotel and restaurant staff were lovely and accommodating. We had dinner in their restaurant and enjoyed the great view, great service, great food, and great value - the prices were like those of a decent pub rather than a fancy hotel. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet, served in the restaurant overlooking the loch. For just a couple of pounds you could order eggs benedeict or a few other options, but the buffet included a full Scotish (loved their potato scones!!). We will definitely be back for a few days soon to enjoy all the loch activities and this charming lodge again.

Room Tip: I can't imagine you could go wrong here, but the corbetts have saunas! I think we will go with o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your encouraging and positive review and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, thinking it would be a real treat. However, we arrived several hours early in the pouring rain. I had hoped we would be offered to use the leisure facilities, but unfortunately not. The location is fantastic, with lovely view from our room. We had an executive room at 31 sq feet, however did not realise that was only because the bath and sink were in the same room. Although it did not say en-suite, I've never been anywhere with a bath in the room. The bed was clean and comfortable, but on the whole felt the room was a bit tired. One of the curtains was badly stained, the lamp shade on the table was torn, and the tiled floor in the bath area needed a good scrub. Breakfast was underwhelming, with self service, no fruit or yogurts. Staff were ok, but nothing about this hotel is of 4 star quality. Reading other reviews, there does seem to be a bit of a mix, but taking into account the price per night, I would have expected it to be much better. However, I did enjoy the leisure facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for your constructive feedback.Lessons can be learned from this and I will take them fully on board and would apologise to you for our shortcomings.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The lodge on Loch Lomond was very very disappointing for the price we paid Well over the top. The balcony was filthy with bird droppings so much so that we were unable to use the table or the ,seats and even could not step out onto the Balcony floor as it was covered with bird droppings We asked for this to cleaned up 3 times but checked out on the third morning and nothing had been done to clean up. Also paid and booked (as one does) for a mini bar in the room and when we reported that the mini bar was not there the reply was "We are still trying to get a small mini bar to fit the allocated space. "Was there something in particular that you wanted from the mini bar' was the sarcastic remark from reception .Avoid this place and go elsewhere there are plenty of nicer and more reasonable priced accommodation on Loch Lomond. Also the food is very poor quality and we found the staff rude and not helpful. I was charged over 8 dollars for a coffee.the ONLY nice part was the view of Loch Lomond which one can see from other hotels on the Loch.

Room Tip: Just ask for a clean room and if possible away from the noise of weddings on the week end
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jack428

Thank you for taking the time to bring our shortcomings to my attention. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues that you have raised and will look into this matter in full. We have been experiencing problems in our kitchens which has resulted in the appointment of new Head Chef who is bringing the standards back to the level that our guests have come to expect.
I am so sorry that on this occasion we did not get things right.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked a 2 night stay and was really hoping to get a balcony but there was none available at this time. The girl on reception said she would do her best for us if one became available. I was a little disappointed but as we had left it a bit late in booking not surprised. When we arrived we got our key to our room (The Graham Rooms) no balcony but I was gobsmacked when we opened the door as the view was one of the best views I have ever seen. We watched the moon coming up on Sunday night which was spectacular.

The staff were so helpful and friendly.

Will be back

Room Tip: have stayed in Corbett and Graham rooms and both excellent
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and your comments have been passed on to my team.You are quite right and the views are outstanding from the room.I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is beautifully situated on the Loch, with a small beach that is easily accessible from the hotel. The rooms are beautiful, very spacious and very well appointed (sauna included). The village of Luss is also beautiful and lovely to spend the day in. However the food in the restaurant is of a very poor quality. My husband had duck one evening (asked for it to be cooked medium rare) and I had the special of Pork. Both were so over cooked that they were inedible. Breakfast is a buffet. The scrambled eggs were grey on both of the mornings we had breakfast so we stuck to cereal!

Our room was overlooking the Loch and the small beach with stunning views, however on our first night there were two weddings taking place at the hotel and groups of people took to the beach at 1 am, shouting and screaming. With a 10 month old in the room it proved very disruptive and kept us all awake until the early hours. Not the relaxing stay we had envisaged. I left a cardigan behind and asked the hotel to send it to me. They charged me £10 for the pleasure despite the postage only costing £4.30! All things considered (noise, bad food and charging me a ridiculous amount for postage), we certainly won't be visiting this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor and we value your review.I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on two fronts,firstly for the disturbance that you received from the wedding guests and would assure you that whilst the hotel hosts numerous wedding receptions it is most unusual for there to be this level of noise at night.
Secondly i was most concerned to read your comments regarding your dining experience and would go as far to explain that we have recently experienced some problems in this area and as a result we have appointed a new Head Chef to improve the standard of our cuisine. and I believe that we are back to our usual standards.
Once again thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Lodge in the future.
Nigel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Arrochar Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!