“A heavy heart”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Luss
Glasgow
“A heavy heart”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a 3 night stay here for a special occasion and were somewhat disappointed. I have frequented this hotel for a drink, meal or lunch for the best part of 18 years and have stayed there on 10 separate occasions over the past 5 years. We seen it as our special place for a break away where we were guaranteed a fine location, use of facilities and lovely food. Now the location and leisure facilities are still excellent but the food has seriously went downhill. Had lunch when we arrived, dinner that night and breakfast the first morning, words couldn't describe the disappointment we felt. It could only be described as disgusting. The lunch and the meal were served with frozen chips, something the lodge would never have done previously, even seen a few bags of frozen chips on the counter as we passed the kitchen. Lamb at dinner, not like any I had ever had before and 3 tiny pieces of it with aubergines on the side, all for the price £19. My wife had a steak which was mediocre with a tomato £22. Both with no accompanying veg. I mean seriously!!!! The hot breakfast was inedible so had cereal. Tried a breakfast the second morning as thought it must have been a bad day but no, was still disgusting. It seems they have changed the menus and quality of food, all for the worst, may be to cut costs!?! If that's the case then it will be a matter of time before one of those stars disappears! Have gave a 2 star rating, one for the staff as they were great and the one for the location. It's a real shame as we loved coming here but it's with a heavy heart when I say we will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Rosiepopp
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I was most concerned to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us and would apologise most sincerely for our shortcomings.It is most important that I receive guest feedback in order that I can maintain what are normally very high standards. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future and would ask that you contact me directly to handle your reservation and give me the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Lodge.
Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Hebrew first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked this hotel because of it's appealing location on the Loch but in hinds site probably should have done some more research on this hotel and other options in the area.

Besides the fantastic location overlooking the Loch, we left feeling disappointed with our stay. Wi-Fi wasn't working in the room (if there was any to start with). Between our room and the lift there was a function room which we had to pass through each day to get to our room. The weather was quite warm during our visit so the room was like a sauna due to no fans or AC. We were able to open a few windows to let some cool air in, but as a consequence let all the flying insects in along with it. If you look closely on the back of the curtains you might find some of these insects still remaining. I won't harp on about the breakfast because I think this has been well covered in the previous few reviews. I would suggest looking at the other hotel around the corner if looking to stay in Luss. We had dinner here on both nights, and couldn't fault the food, service and quality of the facility.

1 Thank Bradantha_54
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for your constructive feedback.I was pleased that you had enjoyed your dining experience with us and have passed your comments on to my team,i have raised the other issues with my team with a view to rectifying these problems and would apologise for these occurring during your stay with us.I hope to welcome you back to the Lodge soon.
London
Reviewed 18 July 2014

There is no doubting that the hotel is situated in a stunning location and the views from the restaurant are amazing. The food at dinner was delicious which is just as well as it took an extraordinary length of time to be served. Breakfast on the other hand was substandard and the worst quality of all the establishments we had stayed in on our two week tour of Scotland. The accommodation was spacious although looking tired and dated. Having stayed in many hotels, the Lodge may tick the right boxes to attract a 4* rating, but it felt more like a 3* hotel from a few decades ago with outstanding views. Maybe our expectations were too high, but we came away disappointed with what was supposed to be our 'luxury' night at the end of the holiday. My recommendation would be to book in for dinner, enjoy the views, then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mokale
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor,your constructive comments are most important to me and I would thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I will be following up on your points.I would apologise for our shortcomings during your stay with us and hope that they will not deter you from staying with us in the future.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This was the third time of staying and our last. On our previous visit we felt they were letting themselves down and the main hotel needed refurbishing. On this visit we were put in the building with the pool, better quality but we missed out on the loch views; and walking to and from the restaurant in the rain with no umbrella provided was no fun. I specifically asked for cucumber with Hendrick' gin and tonic, it came with lime, it also had a full can of tonic poured in. The wine was just poured on the first night without asking for it to be tasted first; maybe that's what happens with screw-top wine in poor quality establishments. The food, however, has got worse and just very poor. So much rocket served with starters and mains you develop floppy ears. A square of puff pastry with a few pieces of blue cheese and a slice of pear was dreadful. My husband's duck had no crispy skin and which was tough. The next main course for me was sea bass with no crispy skin and never any dressing on the usual salad, finished off with overdone potatoes. This was followed by a pannacotta that had too much gelatine in it. Breakfast was bad coffee served in a teapot and tea served in a coffee pot, no fresh fruit on the second morning, no yogurt and the hot options lukewarm and congealed - just disgusting. We also heard some other guests complaining about their food. Irritatingly, we were sat for all our meals under a constantly flickering overhead light. With, in our view, undeserved 4 stars we would have expected the staff to have fixed this straight away. The restaurant door to the balcony was wedged open with cigarette smoke wafting in clouds whilst we were having dinner. There were also dogs on the balcony. Both these should mix with food. This hotel used to have an excellent chef and staff many years ago. Sad.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 49WilliamM101
I was most sorry to read your comments regarding our shortcomings during your recent stay with us and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the obvious bad service you received in our bar and restaurant and would fully agree with you that this is completely unacceptable.I will be addressing these issues as a matter of urgency.I would hope that you would consider returning to the Lodge at a future date and would be grateful if you would contact me nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk
Once again my most sincere apologies.
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have to say that I did not find any fault with our stay here. We stayed here in a Loch view room and the views were excellent. We used the spa facilties during the day which were just in the building across the car park where they have a decent size pool, sauna and jacuzzi. We dined at night in the restaurant and the food was magic ! Lovely seasonal ingredients and a nice atmosphere in the restaurant with the staff helpful and friendly. I stayed here as part of a gift so can't really comment on the price and whether it was worth it or not but I certainly found it one of the nicer places that I have stayed. I would certainly return for a further stay :-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us.Your comments have been passed on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here the last night of our trip to Scotland and it was incredible. We got to the lodge early, but they went ahead and checked us in and took our luggage. We enjoyed a drink at the bar with an incredible view of Loch Lomond until our room was ready. It was rainy and wet, so it was wonderful we had such a lovely room to enjoy (one of the executive munros) with our own private deck and stunning view (again, of Loch Lomond). The room was super clean and well appointed with lots of modern touches. All the hotel and restaurant staff were lovely and accommodating. We had dinner in their restaurant and enjoyed the great view, great service, great food, and great value - the prices were like those of a decent pub rather than a fancy hotel. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet, served in the restaurant overlooking the loch. For just a couple of pounds you could order eggs benedeict or a few other options, but the buffet included a full Scotish (loved their potato scones!!). We will definitely be back for a few days soon to enjoy all the loch activities and this charming lodge again.

Room Tip: I can't imagine you could go wrong here, but the corbetts have saunas! I think we will go with o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your encouraging and positive review and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor.I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, thinking it would be a real treat. However, we arrived several hours early in the pouring rain. I had hoped we would be offered to use the leisure facilities, but unfortunately not. The location is fantastic, with lovely view from our room. We had an executive room at 31 sq feet, however did not realise that was only because the bath and sink were in the same room. Although it did not say en-suite, I've never been anywhere with a bath in the room. The bed was clean and comfortable, but on the whole felt the room was a bit tired. One of the curtains was badly stained, the lamp shade on the table was torn, and the tiled floor in the bath area needed a good scrub. Breakfast was underwhelming, with self service, no fruit or yogurts. Staff were ok, but nothing about this hotel is of 4 star quality. Reading other reviews, there does seem to be a bit of a mix, but taking into account the price per night, I would have expected it to be much better. However, I did enjoy the leisure facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Lodge on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor and for your constructive feedback.Lessons can be learned from this and I will take them fully on board and would apologise to you for our shortcomings.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Inn on Loch Lomond

Been to Lodge on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!