Tripadvisor report on the Lodge on Loch Lomond – January 2010
Previous reports have referred to the Lodge as being a little ‘tired’ and relatively expensive. We would actually agree with the former but definitely not with the latter. This was our second stay to celebrate Hogmanay in one of the premium settings in Scotland – unrivalled loch-side views of Loch Lomond. This year we booked four nights in the Carter Suite – the Lodge’s best quality suite right on the loch with uninterrupted views of Ben Lomond – incredible scenes, night and day, of atmospheric sunlit and moonlit vistas. Sadly, the Carter Suite, though relatively spacious, was a little worn and in need of some re-think regarding the décor. Irrespective of its minor faults we have re-booked for next Hogmanay – we never go back to the same place three times! – but the magnetic draw to the Lodge is so great for other reasons.
The welcome at the Lodge is outstanding – so personal, friendly and warm. The most important reason for our return is the staff – they are fantastic – nothing is too much trouble and the personal touch is the norm. Earlier reports of guests’ requests not being followed up do not mirror our experience. Problems with the personal safe in the suite were dealt with speedily and efficiently by Heather and Stewart in Reception. Our very early departure prompted, without a specific request from us, for a very full continental breakfast being delivered to us in our suite at 0630. The star of the show is Terry, who is in charge of the restaurant staff in the morning. Her enthusiasm, cheery smile and focus for detail make you feel so valued and important. She is supported by a very efficient team – but an efficiency that is not at the expense of the personal touch. What is really impressive is that when you make a specific request the rest of the staff are informed and respond accordingly. Often, in larger more supposedly prestigious hotels, such levels of communication are rare. John Carr, restaurant manager, is another shining star at the Lodge. His personable style and sensitive management are first class. He ensures that your needs are fully met and he regularly checks on how things are going without being officious. Terry and John are supported by a great team and our Hogmanay celebrations were even more enjoyable because of the high quality service from the whole team, whether it be from housekeeping and the Reception team or the chefs and the restaurant staff.
Improvements that we would suggest include improving the quality of coffee, eg, by providing fresh ground coffee in cafetieres or Nespresso machines in the suites (as suggested last year), and sprucing up the Reception area. The latter should be addressed when the current building project, to provide a new functions’ suite, is completed in May 2010.
Comparisons have been made with the nearby Cameron House hotel – we have stayed at both and love the relative informality of the Lodge over the more stuffy, polished and pretentious feel of Cameron House – it is 5 star but, in our experience, is too impersonal and disconnected from its clientele. The Lodge is by no means perfect and is in need of a refurbishment in key places but its exceptional staff, relaxed atmosphere and fantastic setting help to brush aside its imperfections.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel stands on a quiet sandy cove amid some of Scotland's most stunning scenery. With panoramic views of the Loch and mountains it offers a warm, relaxing atmosphere, delicious modern cuisine from the award winning 2 AA rosette restaurant Colquhoun's, stunning accommodation, including rooms with en-suite saunas and loch view private balconies, and a luxury health suite with sauna, steam room jacuzzi and swimming pool. Perfectly located to explore Scotland, from cities to Highlands ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, LateRooms and Ebookers so you can book your Lodge on Loch Lomond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Hotel Luss
- Hotel On Loch Lomond
- On Loch Lomond Luss
- Loch Lomond Lodge
- Lodge On Loch Lomond Luss, Scotland