“Disappointed”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Loch Lomond Arms Hotel is a traditional inn situated in the heart of one of Scotland's loveliest villages, Luss, just 24 miles from Glasgow within the Loch Lomond National Park. This beautiful Loch Lomond hotel remains true to its tradition as an 18th century village inn but with the comfort and facilities of a modern hotel. The hotel has 14 individually designed bedrooms, a bar and restaurant, as well as a weddings and events suite.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this establishment a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time however, we were bitterly disappointed.

The place was really busy and it seemed the staff couldn't handle the rush. There was a huge wait between ordering and actually receiving food and an even bigger wait between starter and main course. My boyfriend also ordered another beer and this was completely forgotten about.

As for the food itself, both starters were enjoyable. I had the salmon fishcake while my boyfriend had the black pudding. For the main, I ordered smoked haddock lasagne. The word lasagne to me normally means layers of pasta filled with meat and sauce. Not so in this case, what arrived was about four chunks of smoked haddock sandwiched between two sheets of pasta with some scatterings of green veg at the side. This was one of the first times I've ever finished a meal before my boyfriend. While the dish tasted alright, it is wrong to label it as "lasagne". It was more of a medley that in my opinion would be more suited as a starter. My boyfriend had the fish and chips. He enjoyed it but it was a difference in quality from the last time. The thrice cooked chips were definitely not thrice cooked on this occasion.

The couple next to us had to ask where their starters were and they got the lady's wine order wrong. When the waitress came to our table to take away our plates, she never asked "did you enjoy that?" Or "how was it for you?". I don't like complaining in a restaurant but there wasn't any real opportunity to do so. There seems to be loads of staff on duty but no order to what they were doing.

I won't be in a rush to visit the Loch Lomond Arms again any time soon. It seems a shame because our last visit was great and the waitress attentive. If the restaurant can't handle so many covers, it shouldn't book out so many tables. One man asked if he could eat outside and was told yes by the manager. Poor chap is probably still sitting there now..

2 Thank foodiequeen89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Service wasnt great, not a lot of gluten free lactose free options”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We went here for lunch. Sadly the only thing we could have was the pork belly as we are lactose free and gluten free. The waiter did go into the kitchen to see what we could have, but she was very busy and even though we where there 15 minutes before the lunch menu ended (and we phoned ahead) she didnt really seem to like it. The pork belly was decent, though a little fatty, ambiance was nice, and so close to the loch is pretty good as well!

Visited May 2014
Scotland
“Food and service great, atmosphere average, table appalling”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked a birthday dinner for the family (booked a table giving plenty of notice). The hotel and restaurant were very busy and we were put at a table which was physically outside the gents toilet door. Trying to celebrate a birthday with a nice meal while being nudged and having to watch a procession of bladder full patrons wasn't my idea of a great night.............. The manager went out of his way to avoid us, but fortunately a member of the waiting staff helped us move to another table (which was for 4 when there was 5 of us), the squashed conditions were better than being in the toilet queue.....

The food and service were both excellent, but pricey, but I suspect consideration of whether patrons would be comfortable in a table outside the toilet doors was a secondary consideration to squeezing more customers in.

Very poor show on that front.

South Florida, Florida
“My very first haggis.”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Sat by the fire for close to three hours while waiting for a ferry to Rowardennan. After many cups of tea I decided to try haggis for the first time and it was wonderful! Now I have to base all future haggis on what I experienced at Loch Lomond Arms -- I want more!

Highly recommended for food and top quality friendly service. Thanks!

Visited May 2014
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“birthday treat”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

venue was surprise as i usually have to say where i want to go (hubby leaves it to me) but this time chose - when i knew where i was going my face fell as i thought pub grub but couldnt have been more wrong - yes it is virtually a pub but the food was fantastic - well done to chef and his or her staff - as this is local to us will def be back