“cosy evening”

The Inn on Loch Lomond
Ranked #5 of 7 Luss B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have just got back from a one night stay in the Inverbeg.Our room was large with a bath and a shower and big flat screen tv, However when we put the tv on, we only had channel 1-5 with a fuzzy screen, we complained and got moved to a smaller room..... Still...I Think in a Inn like that it should have had cable tv at least! We had a average meal in the restaurant, the staff was very good thou..We had a nice sleep in our room along with a great shower.Breakfast you couldn't fault apart from wrong information from the staff about what time it was served till.Overall a nice stay.I would go back again if in the area.

Room Tip: turn tv on first to make sure it works.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,567)

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was the first night of our honeymoon. We love Scotland & Luss was a long enough drive from home for 1 day. We arrived thinking the outside looked dated & in need of a fresh coat of paint. The staff were friendly & the entrance was clean & warm.
We had booked 1-night in the Beach House - a small (6 rooms) building on the shore of Loch Lomond. We were lucky to be given a first floor room with views of the loch through a velux window.
The entrance & 'common' area's (corridors etc) are worn and definitely in need of some TLC. At the entrance door there was a stainless steel bucket on the step for cigarette ends - not nice. The entrance door is badly scuffed around the lock. Upon opening the entrance door to the building we were greeted with an open cupboard/store filled with domestic supplies. Not a great start.
The stairs to the first floor were flooded with natural light from the floor to roof level windows but the voile type curtains were torn & in need of freshening up.
Our room was lovely. The view from the loch was as expected but only when you were standing up. It would have been wonderful to see the loch when sitting in bed but a velux window, by design, is a roof-line window. There was a light out in the bathroom which was OK but should have been picked up on by maintenance & replaced before we arrived. The floor creaked with every step you took.
They hotel advertises free wifi - this is not available in the Beach House - no reception, but it is not noted in the information. The TV signal was intermittent & there is no O2 mobile signal (can't comment on any other mobile provider)
Food is served in the main hotel. The choice was good. My husband & I :-) both chose rib-eye steak - 1 medium to well, 1 medium. When they arrived, both were cooked the same & the sauce, rather than being presented in a single serving jug, was poured over the plate like a swimming pool. My steak was grissly, tough, difficult to cut. We sent it back & were offered a free drink for the inconvenience. My husband ate his but it was not cooked well & wasn't particularly nice. When my replacement arrived (my husband had eaten his by this time), it was far better & cooked more like a medium steak. The accompanying chips were greasy & definitely frozen. Handcut / homemade chips would definitely be an improvement.
The breakfast was better. A good choice of yoghurt, fresh fruit, cheese, cold meat etc.., as well as a range of cooked offerings. Breakfast was far better than the evening meal.

It would have been a nice touch if the hotel had done something 'special' knowing this was a honeymoon stay. The hotel where we stayed on our wedding night had left a bottle of chilled cava with 2 glasses & the domestic staff had folded white towels in the shape of 2 swans & left them on the bed. Little touches like this, that cost little or nothing make a stay memorable & more likely to result in a return visit and/or a recommendation to friends & family.

In short....
Value for money (B&B only).....OK.
Value for money (evening meal).....very poor.
Would we return......probably not.

Room Tip: Some of the Beach House rooms have loch views. No internet access & no O2 mobile phone signal...
1  Thank impumkin
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have just come back from a rather disappointing weekend stay here. Room was on ground floor practically in car park and was very soulless but being classed and charged as a superior room.
Food was expensive for what you got and service was slow.
Music in the evening in the bar was great though and was the only part of our stay that we could say we truly enjoyed.

1  Thank Maf8992
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the stay. We found the room was very small but it was clean. We got a great deal that included breakfast and dinner with the stay. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It's a beautiful location. Central to lots of activities around the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at The Inn on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor,I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and have passed your comments on to my team.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am booked in for October, this will be our second visit to the hotel after we loved it so much last year.
I booked in advance and asked for the best rate and was given a room only rate and told there was no B&B rate. I also had to pay the fully amount there and then! This week I discover that there is in fact a new cheaper B&B rate available the same night !! And in fact their is a DBB rate only £10pp more expensive. I called the hotel and was very surprised to find that they refused to help the rate! I don't expect them to give it me cheaper but as a return ing guest I thought maybe they `d throw in breakfast !!! But no ! They want me to pay the extra for breakfast which would work out around £5 less that the DBB rate, disappointed in the hotel! Would cancel but they have my money already and would keep 25% in a cancellation free !! Pity as its a fantastic hotel with fish and chips to return for .... Oh we are.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jaxpck10
Nigel B, General Manager at The Inn on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor, I would apologise for the confusion regarding the rate and would ask that you contact me at nigel.bird@loch-lomond.co.uk and I will be only too happy to rectify the situation.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Spent an overnight at this inn recently.Superb view of loch Lomond from our room.Room was clean and well appointed.The Staff were attentive and seemed to know their jobs. Dinner was satisfactory without being excellent.The cost of the meal was higher than I would have expected.The entertainer in the bar after dinner (Robert Carmichael) was outstanding.
All in all the location (apart from the view) is rather over priced for what it is in my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in April for a friends wedding and couldn't fault it. The rooms were reasonable although the 3 couples that stayed all paid different prices which was quite random but overall we all had a great time.

I then returned in September for some lunch with my sister and my 10 month old baby. The service by the young waitress was good but the rest of the staff on duty were not the friendliest bunch. There was a man doing work on his laptop and (as babies do a lot of the time) my daughter was crying. The man got up and left which wasn't the issue, the issue was the other staff member on her break who loudly commented 'can you not concentrate because of that noise', as we were the only customers in I assume that noise was my daughter? Well please let me apologise for giving you my custom on that day and in turn PAYING YOUR WAGES!!!!

I should have left there and then but made the mistake of ordering food which was awful - the Thai penne pasta with a coconut sauce was very misleading. Maybe you should call it penne with a mushroom sauce and peppers thrown in for good measure?

To be honest the food probably wouldn't have been as bad if the whole experience hadn't been ruined by that rude cleaner!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Nigel B, General Manager at The Inn on Loch Lomond, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor and I was most concerned to read your comments following your recent visit to the inn. I would like to apolgise for any embarrassment that was cused and can only assure you that it was not meant to cause offence.The inn is normally extremely family and children friendly and a large part of our custom is indeed family based. I have discussed all your comments with the team to ensure this never happens again. Once again thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.
Nigel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luss
3 mi away
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Arrochar Hotel
Arrochar Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to The Inn on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!