“Plain food of reasonable quality but the setting is superb”

The Lake of Menteith Hotel
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The setting makes this place as the hotel named after Scotland's only lake sits on the lake shore. On a good day, such as we had, it is wonderful to sit outside and enjoy the lake, the geese, the ducks and, in spring, the sheep and lambs on the neighbouring hills. And just next door is a beautiful church of some age and nearby the jetty for the wee ferry to the island on the lake and its ruined church.
Our food was average but my trout was fresh and pleasant. Service was friendly.

Innspiration, Owner at The Lake of Menteith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Kircaldylad
We are indeed msot fortunate to enjoy such a glorious setting and still only and hour from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Nature abounds and on a good day you can watch Herons and Buzzards competing with Anglers for the Menteith Trout. I am sorry you only found the food average as we do everything so as not to take our location for granted. We look forward to your return and hope you find the food to a higher standard, if not tell us an we will make amends at that moment.
Best wishes

There are newer reviews for The Lake of Menteith Hotel

Reviewed 23 May 2014

While traveling with my carnivorous family, I often find my vegetarian choices limited to Salad, Mac and Cheese or chips. There were so many choices here. I wish I could have sampled them all, but I decided on the veggie burger that is made on site. It was deliciously prepared and invitingly presented. Great flavor and filled with yumminess. It was by far the best meal I had in Scotland. Best Sticky Toffee Pudding I had in Scotland too.

Innspiration, Owner at The Lake of Menteith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Neegi
Thank you so much for your kind comments, shared with our team and much appreciated. Whilst we do not promote nor advertise we provide vegetarian cooking, we do make every effort to have creative and fresh thinking vegetarian dishes available, as much as possible. We always encourage guests to talk to us about dietry requirements in order that we may ensure them a memorable occasion.
Thanks and best wishes,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We arrived at lunchtime on a bank holiday weekend without a reservation but they still managed to find us a table. The food was great (squab lobster, venison, crispy belly pork and fish and chips), fresh ingredients and cooking that allowed the quality of the food to shine through. The waitress was great, bringing our English friend extra tablet as a treat. The setting is amazing - beautiful views across the lake. The cream teas they were setting up as we left looked great. I'd like to stay in the hotel.

1  Thank gibbsgirls
Innspiration, Owner at The Lake of Menteith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

So pleased you enjoyed your lunch at The Lake and the great weather just caps these views off beautifully. We do our best to treat scotlands great natural larder with respect and enhance the great natural flavours. Do consider staying, our Leisure Break packages are brilliant value as they include your room, Tunnocks goodies, breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The little bar at the back is gone.
Inside the main door the layout has changed for the good. Large bar seating area, but the view of the lake is from the restaurant (itself a glass extension of the house) or the garden tables looking onto the quite fabulous lake.We had the sun and the trout were jumping.
Service was friendly but the Tuesday menu a shade dull even including the specials.
Grilled asparagus with Feta and fig jam £6.55 was fine.
Trout £11.95 and Mussel starter size £5.95 likewise.
The mussel "soup"below very good.
Nothing fancy but perhaps all that was required and with friendly staff.

1  Thank f2s

Delighted you returned and most so that you appreciate the changes and enjoyed your experience. Many, many years since there was a back corner bar so I do hope you return sooner.
Best wishes

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stopped off at Lake of Monteith Hotel for a meal on our way home from Aberfeldy. Our party consisted of myself, my husband and 3 children aged 7, 5 and 1. My husband had heard good things from a fishing buddy so we decided to give it a go.

Friendly welcoming atmosphere. Furnishings and decor beautiful. Log fire always a welcome bonus. Jug of water on arrival whilst browsing the menu. Menu apologises for being small (no need) but there is plenty of choice and it is clear that they use local produce.

I had a delicious burger, which beat me as the portion size could have fed the family, but my husband was the real winner with a fish and chips - that had the fish hanging off the plate. The batter on it was fresh and crisp, certainly not a soggy captain birdseye we have previously encountered in lesser establishments. Kids thoroughly enjoyed their meals and rounded it off with 2 sticky toffee puddings (bonus at £5 each) - which they couldn't finish - now that is saying something.

Kids had a basked of toys to play with whilst I enjoyed a cuppa and the hubby cast his eye over the excellent whiskys on offer - I had roped him into driving but he promises to return to sample a few.

We would definitely return here and wouldn't mind staying over to see what the rooms are like. Not really seen any deals for this hotel on any sites such as 5pm, or todays great deal, but will be checking out their website for future reference.

Have to qualms in recommending this restaurant - delicious!

1  Thank Baird_Family
Innspiration, Owner at The Lake of Menteith Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Baird Family
Thank you so much for your kind comments, high praise indeed and passed on to all concerned. Delighted you enjoyed your experience and you have found us out, we try hard to under promise and over deliver.
We look forward to your return and check out our Leisure Breaks on our web site, they are really great value.
Regards